2019 Band Productions

FloMo is definitely bringing the mojo again this year! (I bet they’re not too thrilled with this JasperBand person for posting the video but what you gonna do? Report a copyright infringement I guess). Rubisco is correct about that colorguard! Man oh man do they look good! I’m getting a strong Carmel vibe from the guard. Really good stuff there! I also have a feeling that those three field tarps are very temporary. With the whole Vitrification theme, I’m betting there will be some gorgeous “glass art” tarps coming out of those boxes. The music is strong as well. I definitely see FloMo top 1 or 2 in DFW. We still have to see what Hebron is going to bring to the table. I’m already making my plans to be in Bedford bright and early that day!!

Was it online already or just shared with you from a parent?  I hate that all of these videos are getting put online when nobody else's is.  

The ballad made me emotional as well.  I'm excited about it and dreading it at the same time.  It's going to be killer in Lucas Oil.  

Of course I'm watching whatever videos get posted..... I heard Leander's ballad and brought back memories of Homestead getting back in BOA after 20 years in 2014 as I loved their show.... had completely forgot Castle 2017 used it in their tribute show until after I was re-watching Homestead and remembered Castle in the middle of it.  My kiddo had traded sticks with Castle during break ranks that night.  Its going to be powerful. You know you're a band geek when you recognize the music and who/when played it, but can't name the tune.

Of course I'm watching whatever videos get posted..... I heard Leander's ballad and brought back memories of Homestead getting back in BOA after 20 years in 2014 as I loved their show.... had completely forgot Castle 2017 used it in their tribute show until after I was re-watching Homestead and remembered Castle in the middle of it. My kiddo had traded sticks with Castle during break ranks that night. Its going to be powerful. You know you're a band geek when you recognize the music and who/when played it, but can't name the tune.

Mass for Peace from Karl Jenkins “The Armed Man.” It’s brutal.

They're probably just using the tarps as a placeholder because it's still the beginning of September.

Yeah, something more stained glass-y would be nice with all those beautiful flags behind it.

Still no video of TWHS, but the audio is available from last night's football game at the same link as previous https://thewoodlandsfootball.com/broadcast/. Starts around 1:08:50.

I love how this music opens, with the brass ensemble and the drum set and that wonky note at the end. :lol: There's something very Bluecoats-y about it. Actually, they probably could get away with playing it over part of the announcement, because it's pretty chill, and the music picks up moments later. I do think the full brass music right after the intro could use more swing; right now those 8th note figures are being played a little bit too straight, too clinically. Give it as much character as the soloists/small ensembles give their music. And that accelerando this time. Oof! That was a bit of a mess. You know they'll be working on that a lot. But, overall, it's very fun and exciting. Looking forward to the visual!

Yeah, something more stained glass-y would be nice with all those beautiful flags behind it.

I love how this music opens, with the brass ensemble and the drum set and that wonky note at the end. :lol: There's something very Bluecoats-y about it. Actually, they probably could get away with playing it over part of the announcement, because it's pretty chill, and the music picks up moments later. I do think the full brass music right after the intro could use more swing; right now those 8th note figures are being played a little bit too straight, too clinically. Give it as much character as the soloists/small ensembles give their music. And that accelerando this time. Oof! That was a bit of a mess. You know they'll be working on that a lot. But, overall, it's very fun and exciting. Looking forward to the visual!

Listening to The Woodlands clip the first thing that came to mind was Blast! Officer Krupke for some reason based on the style.  It sounds like an upbeat fun show and I can pick out the Bluecoat vibe and now very curious on the visual for this as well.  I've always like catching a band's show at the beginning of the season and watching how it progresses to the end.  The changes, improvements and cleaning as practice after practice takes hold and the show develops and matures.  Looking forward to this at SA and GN.

Like TWHS, Hebron also doesn’t have any videos out, but I did some digging and found audio from their last football game too because I was inspired and wanted to hear their progress.

http://www.championsportsradio.com/archives/9-5-19-hebron-at-arlington-martin/

Show starts around the 1:02:45 mark.

Goodness that’s some really insane stuff about 3 minutes in!

Pretty much par for the course for Flower Mound. Maybe a *little* bit weaker, but not by much. That is one HUGE rifle line at the beginning of the show. Overall, the guard is way better than any of the other groups I've seen so far, at least from a perspective of ensemble cleanliness. The opening music is pure, scorched-earth excitement. The drill is maybe a little too neatly symmetrical for my tastes in parts, but overall it's effective. Like virtually all groups right now, the ensemble sound is a little unfocused at times. Not a huge fan of the re-use of the colorful tarps, but they make an eye-popping statement with those pretty, curvilinear forms and backfield flags. Are those "glass" boxes on the field? Are they climbing inside of them or something? I can't tell.

You always seem to write out exactly what I'm thinking

Like TWHS, Hebron also doesn’t have any videos out, but I did some digging and found audio from their last football game too because I was inspired and wanted to hear their progress.

And all the music-related captions go to... :o

Seriously, just insane stuff. I mean, I guess it's business as usual for them, but that technique is crazy. I also love how they've managed to weave the Impossible Dream throughout. Great, uplifting stuff. This may be the year they finally win one or both of those big end-of-season contests, after coming so close a few times in the past. I guess my reaction is kind of like the one I had after hearing Broken Arrow in 2017 for the first time without seeing the visual, which is to say, "Who's going to beat that?!" It turned out that Carmel would, mainly because they had a visual masterpiece that year and BA had a sort of weak visual year, but (!) BA did win music and one of the music GE judges had them in first place, so I was sort of vindicated. :P Of course, the big caveat here is that the quality of this recording is not anywhere near as good (or complete), so we have to be careful judging music performance from it.

My jaw dropped. Just wow wow wow

Any word on William Mason yet? I just watched their 2018 production for the first time, and I gotta say, it's a whole lot better than I thought it would be, based on the score. I feel pretty strongly that they should have been closer to the top 6. If they continue on this trajectory, they will absolutely be a threat at Nationals this year.

I think it’s always interesting to analyze the design dynamics that are present each year. The top DFW bands (FloMo, Hebron, Keller) have very sophisticated shows that are centered more around fundamentals and then there’s Leander and CTJ with these theatrical productions that are just plain fun. I love how there is so much variety in this activity and how there are many ways to success.

I’m looking forward to when the visual starts to come together with props and color guard uniforms and the fun stuff. Friday’s game was kind of a comedy of errors- unrelated to anything the band kids did- but they were “off” a bit. I think the focus will be a lot better this next week at the game.

I’m looking forward to when the visual starts to come together with props and color guard uniforms and the fun stuff. Friday’s game was kind of a comedy of errors- unrelated to anything the band kids did- but they were “off” a bit. I think the focus will be a lot better this next week at the game.

Some show runs are like that. I always smile when that happens at a football game. Always good to get one of those out of the system when the stakes are low.

Sounds a little like SA prelims last year - the bus broke down on the way to San Antonio, they got there late and had to rush, rush, rush to get ready on time. I thought that run was pretty rough compared to what they had been doing and certainly vs the finals run that night.

I finally got to see a video of my former band, Lumberton, and while they arent on the levels like Flomo or Hebron, they still sound great! especially that first part of A Thousand Years! gahhh those mellos are so good this early in the season! Sorry if im really biased but all programs need the love too! i wish i could put in the link of the video but i know the directors dont want early videos out right now, although this one has.

I finally got to see a video of my former band, Lumberton, and while they arent on the levels like Flomo or Hebron, they still sound great! especially that first part of A Thousand Years! gahhh those mellos are so good this early in the season! Sorry if im really biased but all programs need the love too! i wish i could put in the link of the video but i know the directors dont want early videos out right now, although this one has.

Where will we get to see Lumberton this fall?

Sorry I haven't gotten to get a chance to get on over the weekend, but we had an AMAZING first performance run of our show! To sound and look that good this early in the season is awesome for us! I'm so excited for the season that we have ahead of us! Granted, we didn't perform our entire first movement due to time restrictions, but that will come this Thursday -- and on live TV. This Thursday we are looking to debut our full uniform and I'm so happy you get to see it. I hope all of you (at least those who live in the San Antonio area) get to see the performance this week!

Hope the link posts. The post is public so I shouldn't get in trouble. I never did last year, anyways.

By the way -- there are no electronics in this performance, so therefore the woodwinds ARE NOT mic'ed.