2019 Band Productions

I think it is sometimes hard to gauge because the Indy bigs have such a different performance style than the Texas groups. What I think of as an exciting marching band show is largely a result of the culture here and it is very differwnt than what is considered exciting on the Midwest. I have had to learn to appreciate the excellency with which bands like Carmel and Avon perform without necessarily enjoying them the most of all bands.

Oh I appreciate them! I’m just not always excited about their shows. But by November, I’ll be on board!

You know, I’m sure they feel the same way about some of the Texas bands. They surely watch bands like CTJ and Leander and scratch their heads and say What the heck?!

yes - very different styles between the Indy programs and Texas, with no BA or Tarpon attending - it will be interesting to see how they are accepted or favored by the judges from prelims through finals

I think a good way to think about Carmel is comparing blockbuster movies vs. art house films. The latter’s production quality is usually quite obvious to any movie goer, but the less-obvious, nuanced, and understated performances/elements are harder to pick up on. Critics/cinephiles will catch those things, but someone casually watching a movie might not. By no means does that say anything about the viewer, but it does reflect on the crafter - they’re yearning to innovate and evolve their art in ways unseen before, and aren’t necessarily concerned with being the fan/viewer favorite

But thank you for that Flo. I’m going to learn a LOT this season about masterful bands such as Carmel, and my personal favorite...AVON. :)

Haha, you're welcome! I wrote that preview for flo. I remember in high school sometimes I was really confused why we were losing (or sometimes winning) against other bands. Several years later, and several read-throughs of the adjudication handbook later, I'm starting to more frequently understand what the judges see and reward in certain bands even if I personally don't love the group or the show.

Haha, you're welcome! I wrote that preview for flo. I remember in high school sometimes I was really confused why we were losing (or sometimes winning) against other bands. Several years later, and several read-throughs of the adjudication handbook later, I'm starting to more frequently understand what the judges see and reward in certain bands even if I personally don't love the group or the show.

Ahhhhh. So it was YOU! :P

No I really do appreciate that explanation. It helps a ton! I’m really trying to understand Carmel better this year.

Caught a video of College Park from the TWHS vs. TWCP football game yesterday. It's called Town and Country. It opens with This Land is Your Land. The first part of the opener is from Richard Danielpour's Urban Dances, I believe. It was a little odd, actually, because only the brass marched for the Danielpour portion of the opener. The woodwinds just stood around near the front sideline. It appears TWCP is going for the whole "City versus Countryside" back and forth between the woodwinds and brass. The Daniepour part was actually quite good. The drill was cleaner and more DCI-ish than I've seen from them in the past, and it sounded pretty good; however, the performance got significantly dirtier when the woodwinds joined in for Copland's Rodeo. The helter-skelter flagwork didn't really help, either.

I caught a glimpse of TWHS gathering backfield. Their guard uniforms appear to be old-fashioned, 40s-era-dresses in an assortment of different colors. Didn't notice any props yet. Still no videos, but I listened to the mediocre radio recording. Sounds like they're through the part right after their ballad, which sounded like a (mostly) calm, cool, jazzy percussion interlude, with some big blaring brass moments thrown into the mix for good measure. I really liked the ballad, but, from what I can tell from the crappy recording, I feel like it needs to be an even bigger emotional moment, since everything else in the show is so fun sounding. More serious moments like the ballad provide some much-needed contrast. (Actually, the show is so far weirdly devoid of the big, long-held power-chord moments TWHS is known for, opting instead for a pretty consistent kineticism.) They're still using a metronome for some earlier parts, which is a little concerning, but I understand it from the perspective that this isn't exactly your run-of-the-mill, 4/4 time signature music book.

Caught a video of College Park from the TWHS vs. TWCP football game yesterday. It's called Town and Country. It opens with This Land is Your Land. The first part of the opener is from Richard Danielpour's Urban Dances, I believe. It was a little odd, actually, because only the brass marched for the Danielpour portion of the opener. The woodwinds just stood around near the front sideline. It appears TWCP is going for the whole "City versus Countryside" back and forth between the woodwinds and brass. The Daniepour part was actually quite good. The drill was cleaner and more DCI-ish than I've seen from them in the past, and it sounded pretty good; however, the performance got significantly dirtier when the woodwinds joined in for Copland's Rodeo. The helter-skelter flagwork didn't really help, either.

I caught a glimpse of TWHS gathering backfield. Their guard uniforms appear to be old-fashioned, 40s-era-dresses in an assortment of different colors. Didn't notice any props yet. Still no videos, but I listened to the mediocre radio recording. Sounds like they're through the part right after their ballad, which sounded like a (mostly) calm, cool, jazzy percussion interlude, with some big blaring brass moments thrown into the mix for good measure. I really liked the ballad, but, from what I can tell from the crappy recording, I feel like it needs to be an even bigger emotional moment, since everything else in the show is so fun sounding. More serious moments like the ballad provide some much-needed contrast. (Actually, the show is so far weirdly devoid of the big, long-held power-chord moments TWHS is known for, opting instead for a pretty consistent kineticism.) They're still using a metronome for some earlier parts, which is a little concerning, but I understand it from the perspective that this isn't exactly your run-of-the-mill, 4/4 time signature music book.

There is a photo posted on the TWHS Band Booster Facebook page with the guard costumes. As you say, a very 40's vibe to them.

I listened to the webstream live yesterday - they skipped the opener (I assume it has to do with the tight timing requirements for halftime this year). It was raining moderately during their performance, but I thought the music was pretty decent for this time of year. I like how you describe the show with the term "kineticism", as it doesn't wait around much - it is constantly moving (at least musically, have to see the visuals). I very much enjoyed the section after the ballad - it sounded quite tricky but was pretty catchy for me. The ballad is very nice - will be interesting to hear live as to how "warm" the sound is. On the stream I could just barely get an indication, but if it lives up to what I heard it will sound very, very good.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking Hebron's ladder props. They're very reminiscent of the props from Carmel's WGI show this past season, which were step ladders rising up through a glass ceiling.

Yes, when I first saw them I wondered if Hebron had purchased those from Carmel.  But then it looked from the photos as if the band dads were actually constructing them, so who knows!

im just gonna do it. 

Hopefully that will work. so, The video of Lumberton performing is good, but obviously there were some little mess-ups during the show. the last 4 minutes, the band just learned that drill maybe less than a week ago. but overall for it being one of their first full run throughs, I thought they did pretty good. 

im just gonna do it. 

Hopefully that will work. so, The video of Lumberton performing is good, but obviously there were some little mess-ups during the show. the last 4 minutes, the band just learned that drill maybe less than a week ago. but overall for it being one of their first full run throughs, I thought they did pretty good. 

Added the period at the end for youtube videos.