2019 Band Productions

Every time I see new small video of CTJ my jaw drops. There’s no way they can be this good this early, and yet they are. They are in the medal hunt at every single contest they’ll be attending this season.

I really enjoyed the video with the brass near the front sideline playing the Once and Future King part from Lion King as the woodwinds do that folding, kaleidoscopic drill behind them. Looking forward to seeing it from higher up. This will be a show with lots of big, emotional moments.

Are they playing music from 2017 as well? In one of the videos, it sounded like they're doing the music from the end of the 2017 opener again -- like when the drill shifted into that spider drill set. It was very familiar. I wondered if the date on the video was wrong!

I really enjoyed the video with the brass near the front sideline playing the Once and Future King part from Lion King as the woodwinds do that folding, kaleidoscopic drill behind them. Looking forward to seeing it from higher up. This will be a show with lots of big, emotional moments.

Are they playing music from 2017 as well? In one of the videos, it sounded like they're doing the music from the end of the 2017 opener again -- like when the drill shifted into that spider drill set. It was very familiar. I wondered if the date on the video was wrong!

I believe they are reusing some music from 2017...which is interesting to me...

Overall, I think it's a pretty smart decision. It ties into the whole "sequel" aspect of the show. Plus, the upperclassmen are already familiar with the music, so more of the focus can be placed on the visual, which is what every Texas group needs to do. I don't really think it reaches the level of controversy of, say, Lassiter 2002, when people were upset because Lassiter did "the same show" each year leading up to their incredible 2002, National-winning production. Now, will my enjoyment of the show be diminished a little because I'm already familiar with (one small part) of the music? Maybe, but I feel like by the end of the season, I'll be so familiar with everyone's music that it won't make much of a difference.

James Martin HS (Arlington) 

Video from a football game but its from behind sadly

I really enjoyed Martin's show last year. The one with all the pipes on the field, right? I thought it was a fun, clever show. (I kept waiting for them to play the Mario theme!) I feel like they're one of those groups that, if they could put on a more polished performance and keep up the energy from start to finish, could really threaten for a finals spot at San Antonio.

I really enjoyed Martin's show last year. The one with all the pipes on the field, right? I thought it was a fun, clever show. (I kept waiting for them to play the Mario theme!) I feel like they're one of those groups that, if they could put on a more polished performance and keep up the energy from start to finish, could really threaten for a finals spot at San Antonio.

That is correct. I believe it was "Tunnel Vision". Really enjoyable and some great moments. 100% agree, I try to keep an eye on them every season.

Too bad they won't be at SA this year. 

small piece of it is from 2017 - as noted, it ties the show back to forest through the trees. the most recent video I saw from Tuesday night did not have the guard on the field so I am excited to see tonight's preview show in the new uniforms and the full guard dressed out and on the field

HOLY WOW DOES KELLER LOOK AND SOUND AMAZING! I just watched that video right now and my jaw was to the floor when I heard how clean that triple tonguing was already this early in the season. The depth in their sound is just amazing for this time of the year. This is going to be one heck of a season to watch!

small piece of it is from 2017 - as noted, it ties the show back to forest through the trees. the most recent video I saw from Tuesday night did not have the guard on the field so I am excited to see tonight's preview show in the new uniforms and the full guard dressed out and on the field

what time is the actual performance?  I know they are having a full night of activities, but I was wondering what time the actual parent performance is if you know.  I was considering driving down for it.  :D  Not sure, but I'm thinking about it.  Unfortunately I can't leave Austin before 4:30.

HOLY WOW DOES KELLER LOOK AND SOUND AMAZING! I just watched that video right now and my jaw was to the floor when I heard how clean that triple tonguing was already this early in the season. The depth in their sound is just amazing for this time of the year. This is going to be one heck of a season to watch!

Agree - I like what they are doing.

I only hear the potential for double tonguing. And I bet there are some (at least in the trumpet line) that can single tongue those passages. They are quick, but not absurdly so, and the runs are relatively short (1/2 to 1 beat) with brief connecting notes between them. I could clearly single tongue (on a trumpet) about 2 beats or so of sixteenth notes at around a 140ish tempo back in the day without falling behind (faster for shorter passages). Others are faster or slower of course. Anyway, we don't usually touch on technique here, so I'll shut up...

what time is the actual performance? I know they are having a full night of activities, but I was wondering what time the actual parent performance is if you know. I was considering driving down for it. :D Not sure, but I'm thinking about it. Unfortunately I can't leave Austin before 4:30.

8:30 pm

Bring an extra pair of socks.....the ones you will be wearing will be blown off!! Sorry...band dad joke

what time is the actual performance?  I know they are having a full night of activities, but I was wondering what time the actual parent performance is if you know.  I was considering driving down for it.  :D  Not sure, but I'm thinking about it.  Unfortunately I can't leave Austin before 4:30.

Ugh, traffic looks awful.  Probably going to have to wait until BOA Austin to see the mighty Jags.  Oh well, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!!

Now to talk myself into going to the Pfield in Pflugerville tonight and baking in the stadium for the LHS vs P'ville football game.   :unsure:

That is correct. I believe it was "Tunnel Vision". Really enjoyable and some great moments. 100% agree, I try to keep an eye on them every season.

Too bad they won't be at SA this year.

I too always enjoy James Martin's shows. My favorite recently was their String Theory show which I believe was in 2016. I'm a bit disappointed they won't be at BOA DFW but look forward to seeing them in Waco.

IT'S SHOW DAY!!! I can't wait to perform tonight! We are doing the fun show(again) AND part of our first movement on the field tonight and I can't wait! It's gonna be a blast! We are playing JBOPE so if any of you want to watch the game tonight it is at Jerry Comalander stadium in San Antonio. The game starts at 7:30 PM so please (if you can) come out and watch two great programs perform!

Would sure love to be there!  I hope you all have a fantastic run!!!!