BOA Houston 2019

I am welcome to my opinion and can take things however I want without a lesson from you, thank you very much. If you’ve listened to visual tapes from judges, you would understand that effect comes FROM performance, and that good design done at 8/10 is as good as bad design done 10/10. If you don’t like that then we can agree to disagree

And for the record, I am an aspiring music educator with no connection to any school that is mentioned in these forums so I take nothing personally nor have a dog in the race but to defend my own opinions

Reddit.com/r/iamverysmart

TWHS definitely needs to work on volume throughout the whole show. We saw in their last hold that they can play loud while not marching, but they need to figure out how to translate that to the entirety of the show. The opening hit that the full ensemble plays is really lacking in volume right now. As for their props, they had some obstacles that they ran into last week and I’m sure that they will contribute more to the GE of the show next time we see them. It definitively has a Bluecoats-esque vibe to it compared to what Vanderkolff usually writes for them, and I think that’s something that they really needed. Now they just need drum corps volume to go with it.

Also we’ll see how long Dan lasts on YouTube this year.

This has to be the most challenging music book they’ve played since... Sequenza? While dynamics are obviously critical, I can’t help but wonder if they’re on the back burner to getting the technical execution locked in. Also, some of the most memorable hits in the past decade-ish have come from this program - I’m fully confident Perez & crew know exactly what they’re doing.

As others have said, I think this show has all the markings of a classic dark-horse Woodlands show, despite being drastically different. Excited to see how the cards play out for them.

This has to be the most challenging music book they’ve played since... Sequenza? While dynamics are obviously critical, I can’t help but wonder if they’re on the back burner to getting the technical execution locked in. Also, some of the most memorable hits in the past decade-ish have come from this program - I’m fully confident Perez & crew know exactly what they’re doing.

As others have said, I think this show has all the markings of a classic dark-horse Woodlands show, despite being drastically different. Excited to see how the cards play out for them.

I agree that this is a very challenging music book, but I know they’re up to the challenge to execute it well. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re stuck working technique considering the difficulty. It definitely isn’t their traditional style, but I can see them competing for medals with it at Indy next month. I’m glad to see them switching things up.

It really is time to bring the eagle back to Texas, and in all honesty from what I’ve seen this year, any of the Texas giants, from The Woodlands to CTJ to Vandegrift could make it happen.

I saw Seven Lakes live on the broadcast, and was surprised they didn't make it. That performance had so much energy to it and frankly might have been my personal favorite of the event. I'm not a judge so I can't really say what might have gone wrong there, but from purely a spectator's viewpoint it was so well done. I'm rooting for them over at Waco  :) . 

Reagan 2003-2005 is the main reason I became so obsessed with band in high school. I theorize that if LD Bell or Reagan had gone to grand nats in 04, Texas would have 5 eagles.

That applies to just about any of the past few years. Flomo in 2018, 2016 and 2015, CTJ in 2017. If every SA champion went to GN the same year, Texas bands winning eagles would no longer be a rare occasion.

Cypress Falls. Wow. That was fun. Hope to see it again tonight.

28th out of 36 bands got to love any competition held in this Katy dump. Band had to push in props from a very long distance and refused to let water coolers brought to band so they went without water 2 hours in mid afternoon sun. To top it all our gracious hosts kept their Katy bands in air conditioned rooms! Karma

I can tell you all with 100% certainty that this is false. The only people in the field house before their performance & the prelim award ceremony was the 7 Lakes food crew. The band was second from last to play and were in the stands, SE corner of the stadium for the prelim ceremony. The band DID eat their dinner in the banquet room after the prelim ceremony but that’s it.