BOA Houston 2019

Not a huge fan of the stadium. I know large blocks of people were going in and out as chaperones... and that’s understandable, but I wish they had ushers stopping people during performances... also the Concourse area is so crowded because they aren’t allowed to use the concessions booths- and have to set up concessions in the walkway...

And it’s hot... so hot that I couldn’t video my kids- because my phone shut off because it was overheating...

But I loved watching the bands I got to watch. I loved oak ridges music, and Klein (something) with the trains was lots of fun. I was with others and have a hard time keeping track of who I’m watching so can’t give specifics... and had to leave to take care of some uniform stuff and then get back to our town to work a concessions booth for the band tonight... I wish I could have stayed and watched finals tonight and seen Reagan.

I'll watch finals later. I went on Flo and watched the TWHS replay without sound. I'm guessing Flo removes the sound for copyright purposes. Anyway, the sailor outfits are hilarious. I'm a little bit underwhelmed by the props, given how much they were hyped up here. Just a bunch of billboards saying Brooklyn Navy Yard and a bench. For much of the show, there seems to be space in the drill that would be nicely filled by other, more interesting props. The drill is consistently elegant and engaging. There's still lots of stuff to clean, but overall it was a strong early season visual performance. The big hit of the ballad is super eye-popping. I love the depth and variety of the choreography, and the quirky characterizations. They seem to be taking a page from CTJ in that regard, although overall this show is considerably cleaner. The visual program is way more demanding than last year, and as a result, I don't think this is quite as polished of a performance as last year (which was far and away the cleanest show at Houston from an ensemble standpoint), but as I said, not too bad. More excitement anyway. Obviously, looking forward to seeing it with sound!

The props are what they are for today... but don’t think for a moment they won’t become something more in the future. this last week just didn’t allow things to come together as planned. And it’s TWHS you know they aren’t done adding stuff. But the kids are performing their hearts out with what they’ve got.

So refreshing to read this quote.  I thought our band was the only one scrambling to get all the props done (or not) in time for competitions!!  HA!!