BOA Houston 2019

Based on seeing as many videos as I can find of competing bands, I’d say that the Houston bands seem to be a bit behind the general polish I saw from the Austin and SA bands. I’m attributing this to the tropical storm. I’m sure that they will be pushing hard this week. I’m excited to see if we have some shake ups like Austin saw!

My "predictions" here pretty much consist of two tiers:

In finals:

Reagan

The Woodlands

Cy-Fair

Seven Lakes

Bubble:

TWCP

Dawson

Langham Creek

Westwood

Westlake

Westfield

JET

Oak Ridge

Cypress Woods

SFA

Pearland

Clear Brook

Cypress Falls

Richland

Tompkins

(I probably still missed 5+ groups that are capable of making finals)

While Dallas will be more competitive at the top, Houston is going to be the greater overall bloodbath this weekend.

My "predictions" here pretty much consist of two tiers:

In finals:

Reagan

The Woodlands

Cy-Fair

Seven Lakes

Bubble:

TWCP

Dawson

Langham Creek

Westwood

Westlake

Westfield

JET

Oak Ridge

Cypress Woods

SFA

Pearland

Clear Brook

Cypress Falls

Richland

Tompkins

(I probably still missed 5+ groups that are capable of making finals)

While Dallas will be more competitive at the top, Houston is going to be the greater overall bloodbath this weekend.

I light of yesterday, I would move Westwood up to the first group.

Of course I would love to predict TWHS takes the #1 spot. We shall see, traditionally we are in it for the long haul and to peak late- so we do our best but haven’t won while I’ve been around. If we can get a full week of practices in without loosing time to rain I’m excited to see where they will have it on Saturday. I’ll be there for prelims- but ironically to support the band concessions program- I’ll have to miss the evening part and go work a concessions booth for a rock concert... to help parents earn money they can put towards those band fee’s... because we aren’t all independently wealthy here either.

Weather is looking OK so far for Saturday. Around 90 and very humid, with wind straight off the gulf, so showers are possible, but nothing dramatic at this point. Nothing stirring in the tropics right now either.

This area (gulf coast) is one of the few places that a high pressure system creates rain showers.

Based on seeing as many videos as I can find of competing bands, I’d say that the Houston bands seem to be a bit behind the general polish I saw from the Austin and SA bands. I’m attributing this to the tropical storm. I’m sure that they will be pushing hard this week. I’m excited to see if we have some shake ups like Austin saw!

Perhaps, but Cypress Woods is not considered by most to be a contender for finals at this regional, but ended up 13th at Austin. Are they having a break-out type year? Perhaps. We'll know Saturday.

Perhaps, but Cypress Woods is not considered by most to be a contender for finals at this regional, but ended up 13th at Austin. Are they having a break-out type year? Perhaps. We'll know Saturday.

Scores tell a huge story here. They were eight points behind Westwood and five and a half behind Rouse.

I can think of probably six or ten bands that fit in that exact eight point space in the Houston regional.

Scores tell a huge story here. They were eight points behind Westwood and five and a half behind Rouse.

I can think of probably six or ten bands that fit in that exact eight point space in the Houston regional.

Sure. Wasn't making a case of a finals appearance for them in Houston but toward the general polish statement in vacon3`'s post. Cypress Woods was ahead of all but the finalists plus Round Rock and Hendrickson of the SA and Austin area bands was my point, and Cypress Woods is not considered a first or even second tier band in the Houston area. Was that because they are taking a step forward this year to move up to second tier status?

Going back to Katy Legacy is gonna bring some dark memories back, hopefully that’ll motivate us to give the crowd a performance we never got.

Was your band the band that had the malfunction with the trumpet mic? You guys sat next to our band when the finals results were being announced, it was really saddening even to other bands.. hopefully nothing happens like that again

I can't remember if it was Bridgeland or Langham though..

I finally watched the Friendswood videos, and I think that Clear Brook will do really well on Saturday. They have an intense, story driven show that I think should be well received by the BOA judges. It is in the same vein (Ha!) as the vampire show in 2017, but a little bit harder musically and visually (in my opinion). It is called Siren's Fury.

It was Langham, Bridgeland didn’t make area finals. Think they got like 12th in Prelims. I still remember the night like it was last night. First time anyone had seen head director ever cry while she told us about Milo Murphy’s law. Think it was the second ever time Langham didn’t make SMBC in school history. Are you in the Tompkins band?