BOA Houston 2019

I didnt see their show so I wont make a comment on their likelihood of making finals (although I would guess they would be in) but I would bw careful using local contests to gauge BOA contest results. We often see drastically different results from one to the other- especially in Houston. But from what I hear, Clear Brook slayed it today, so that is very exciting!

After their showing at Friendswood tonight, mark my words, Clear Brook will make finals.

I would definitely think so, however anything can happen. For example, last year SFA and Pearland placed in the top 2 at the Friendswood contest but didn’t even make finals at houston boa while Oak Ridge had got 3rd behind them at Friendswood and placed 6th in finals at boa the following week.

BOA Houston: Battle of the infinite bubble bands

Westwood got 8th in Austin. I’m looking forward to their expanded show in Houston.

Technically you got 10th in finals, which is how the finish will typically be stated - the finals finish is considered more important than the prelims finish.

For reference, Winston Churchill was 9th at Austin last year, and finished 8th at the Houston contest. They had a massive jump in score in one week, from ~73/74 to ~80/81. So that bodes quite well for Westwood (and maybe Cypress Woods), as James Bowie and Vandegrift also attended last year. There are also rumblings around here that some of the strong Houston bands that missed last year may have a come back (Clear Brook, Pearland, Stephen F Austin). It should be a fun contest, and I would guess that at least an 88 will be required to win. Are you going to be able to attend?

Technically you got 10th in finals, which is how the finish will typically be stated - the finals finish is considered more important than the prelims finish.

For reference, Winston Churchill was 9th at Austin last year, and finished 8th at the Houston contest. They had a massive jump in score in one week, from ~73/74 to ~80/81. So that bodes quite well for Westwood (and maybe Cypress Woods), as James Bowie and Vandegrift also attended last year. There are also rumblings around here that some of the strong Houston bands that missed last year may have a come back (Clear Brook, Pearland, Stephen F Austin). It should be a fun contest, and I would guess that at least an 88 will be required to win. Are you going to be able to attend?

I saw Clear Brook and Pearland at Friendswood yesterday. I think Clear Brook will make it without much trouble. Very good show with lots of GE, at a pretty respectable performance level for this time of year. Pearland has a very good chance as well. They have the show for it, but they have a bit more cleaning to do. There were some rough attacks and edgy sounds from the brass and some of the drill lacked clarity, but they definitely are going to have a very successful year. I haven't seen SFA since early September, so I haven't gotten an accurate viewing of them yet, but they definitely have a chance. They are a bit smaller than the other bands I listed, but it is still a noticeably larger band than they fielded during the middle of the decade. My biggest complaint is they could use a bit more impact. I look forward to seeing them in a more complete form. JE Taylor IMO is in a similar boat to Pearland. Very strong show with lots of GE, just needs a bit more cleaning. Their ensemble sound is fantastic, but they could also use a bit more volume. Lastly, I cant leave out westfield. They absolutely blew the house down at Friendswood this weekend, and have a much better show at making Houston finals than people are likely giving them. Show was nonstop energy from beginning to end, and when maxed out to full potential, they have the chance to take some names. 

I saw Clear Brook and Pearland at Friendswood yesterday. I think Clear Brook will make it without much trouble. Very good show with lots of GE, at a pretty respectable performance level for this time of year. Pearland has a very good chance as well. They have the show for it, but they have a bit more cleaning to do. There were some rough attacks and edgy sounds from the brass and some of the drill lacked clarity, but they definitely are going to have a very successful year. I haven't seen SFA since early September, so I haven't gotten an accurate viewing of them yet, but they definitely have a chance. They are a bit smaller than the other bands I listed, but it is still a noticeably larger band than they fielded during the middle of the decade. My biggest complaint is they could use a bit more impact. I look forward to seeing them in a more complete form. JE Taylor IMO is in a similar boat to Pearland. Very strong show with lots of GE, just needs a bit more cleaning. Their ensemble sound is fantastic, but they could also use a bit more volume. Lastly, I cant leave out westfield. They absolutely blew the house down at Friendswood this weekend, and have a much better show at making Houston finals than people are likely giving them. Show was nonstop energy from beginning to end, and when maxed out to full potential, they have the chance to take some names. 

I didn't mention JET since they made finals last year.

That is good to hear about Westfield. They've been getting stronger each of the past 2 or 3 years.

Any thoughts on how all of the Katy schools will fair out this weekend? I haven't seen much of many of them.

I think Seven Lakes and Cy-Fair are basically locks for finals

JET I'm not too sure about, they got beaten yesterday by Westfield and apparently their drill writer wrote for too many people so they have no alternates.

Heck yeah. I’m gonna be the loud lady yelling GO WOOD!

And yeah, I know where we landed in finals. I’m just so stinking proud of these guys. They are adding a new part for Houston this week.

Heck yeah. I’m gonna be the loud lady yelling GO WOOD!

And yeah, I know where we landed in finals. I’m just so stinking proud of these guys. They are adding a new part for Houston this week.

You guys go on at 3:00 to kick off the last block. I'll be listening for you to yell! :)

The last block looks good - Westwood, Cy-Fair, Brazoswood, Westlake, Seven Lakes, and Reagan. Tompkins is pretty decent too, and Richland has a rich history and could be a surprise.

The second block is also strong - JET, Oak Ridge, Cypress Woods, Klein Oak, Friendswood, The Woodlands, and SFA. Bridgeland is new and growing, and Katy can be pretty good too.

Highlights of the 1st block are College Park, Dawson, and Westfield. Also a shout-out to Langham Creek - lets see what you've got for us this year!

3rd block includes Pearland, Clear Brook, Pflugerville, and Cypress Falls.

Going back to Katy Legacy is gonna bring some dark memories back, hopefully that’ll motivate us to give the crowd a performance we never got.

UIL Area I 2018 was a definitely a rather...questionable contest. Don’t sweat it; Legacy will treat you well when paired with BOA leadership. Go destroy BOA Houston!!