BOA Houston 2019

Trend I’m noticing for this contest continuing in 2019:

Less competition from non-Houston bands, however stronger Houston competition overall. Many bands that regularly attend this contest from Houston are rising FAST.

It will be imperative for strong Houston bands to take advantage of this contest to really make a name for themselves in the BOA Sphere.

Nice to see Richland as an exception to the non-Houston trend. Should spice up this contest a bit.

Trend I’m noticing for this contest continuing in 2019:

Less competition from non-Houston bands, however stronger Houston competition overall. Many bands that regularly attend this contest from Houston are rising FAST.

It will be imperative for strong Houston bands to take advantage of this contest to really make a name for themselves in the BOA Sphere.

Nice to see Richland as an exception to the non-Houston trend. Should spice up this contest a bit.

Thank you for the Richland reference, Richland Band is a proud tradition and though it may not be in the upper tier 6A bands the name Richland still enjoys respect among bands. Gradually they are attempting to improve on our sound and look since we do not march as many kids as in the past, but the directors recognized we couldn't keep going in the same direction and be successful of Richland standards. looking forward to Houston and did enjoy the two years we attended the Lone Star Preview contest with successful results.  

• 4 weeks later...

Confirmed Attendees (32):

Brazoswood H.S., TX

Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX

Cinco Ranch H.S., TX

Clear Brook H.S., TX

Clear Springs H.S., TX

Conroe H.S., TX

Cy-Fair H.S., TX

Cypress Falls H.S., TX

Dawson H.S., TX

Dickinson H.S., TX

James E. Taylor H.S., TX

Katy H.S., TX

Kempner H.S., TX

Klein Collins H.S., TX

Klein Oak H.S., TX

Lake Travis H.S., TX

Little Cypress-Mauriceville H.S., TX

Magnolia H.S., TX

Oak Ridge H.S., TX

Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX

Paetow H.S., TX

Pflugerville H.S., TX

Pearland H.S., TX

Richland H.S., TX

Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX

Seven Lakes H.S., TX

The Woodlands H.S., TX

Westlake H.S., TX

Westwood H.S., TX

William B. Travis H.S., TX

Winston Churchill H.S., TX

Rumored Attendees (2):

Friendswood H.S., TX

Klein Cain H.S., TX

Hmmm. Why is College Park not showing up in any of the lists so far? Any info from people here?

They just don't have a public calendar anywhere and I guess no one with "sources" has heard from them. I'm assuming they're still planning on attending.

If you were to rank based on BOA San Antonio Prelims Placements from 2018 - 

1. Ronald Reagan

2. Westlake

3. The Woodlands

4. Oak Ridge

5. Churchill

6. College Park

7. Seven Lakes

8. Pearland

9. Lake Travis

10. Clear Brook

------------------------

11. James E. Taylor

12. Westwood

13. Klein Oak

14. Pflugerville

This regional is pretty stacked! That group from Oak Ridge down to Clear Brook all scored within 2.5 Points of each other at BOA SA! I would imagine we see mostly the same names in finals, with a few different placements. 

If you were to rank based on BOA San Antonio Prelims Placements from 2018 -

1. Ronald Reagan

2. Westlake

3. The Woodlands

4. Oak Ridge

5. Churchill

6. College Park

7. Seven Lakes

8. Pearland

9. Lake Travis

10. Clear Brook

------------------------

11. James E. Taylor

12. Westwood

13. Klein Oak

14. Pflugerville

This regional is pretty stacked! That group from Oak Ridge down to Clear Brook all scored within 2.5 Points of each other at BOA SA! I would imagine we see mostly the same names in finals, with a few different placements.

And that’s not including finalists from the past year that did not go to SA, such as Brazoswood and CyFair.

And that’s not including finalists from the past year that did not go to SA, such as Brazoswood and CyFair.

Wow didn't even think of that.....This may be an even harder regional to make finals at than Austin! Not sure about brazoswood, but I definitely think Cy Fair will be a finalist. 

Wow didn't even think of that.....This may be an even harder regional to make finals at than Austin! Not sure about brazoswood, but I definitely think Cy Fair will be a finalist. 

I doubt that - I still think that Austin is the toughest regional in Texas - a good number in Houston finals would not make it in Austin - no disrespect and just me opinion based on the last few years results.

I doubt that - I still think that Austin is the toughest regional in Texas - a good number in Houston finals would not make it in Austin - no disrespect and just me opinion based on the last few years results.

I think that Houston is easier to make finals at, but is often more unpredictable at the top. 

Austin is kind of boring since you can count on at least eight repeats. Houston is much more exciting because the race into finals is a lot more unpredictable.

Very true. There are specific examples of bands in one year going from 3rd to 11th, 17th to 3rd, 14th to 17th, 17th to 7th etc. I think that the past 3 years the finalists at austin have been the same.

Here are my thoughts on this contest as of right now, not really knowing anything about anyones shows. 

Reagan - Clear winner here. 

Woodlands - Based on history I would say clear 2nd place. Could beat Reagan if they have a strong season. Could be possibly upset by Westlake/oakridge/seven lakes if they do not. That is pretty unlikely

Westlake/Lake Travis - Both of these Austin programs surged last year due to design changes and staff pick ups. From looking at their website, Westlake picked up a long time SCV staff member as an assistant band director prior to the 2018 season and it made a huge impact. I expect both programs to continue to surge in 2019. 

Oak Ridge - I was SO impressed by this band earlier in the season last year. For some reason it didn't carry all the way through San Antonio. The design is top notch, and I am really excited about what they bring to the table in 2019. 

Seven Lakes - Same Story as oak ridge - I was blown away at BOA Houston but didn't carry all the way to San Antonio. Another band with CRAZY good design. What an interesting theme last year. 

Here are my thoughts on this contest as of right now, not really knowing anything about anyones shows. 

Reagan - Clear winner here. 

Westlake/Lake Travis - Both of these Austin programs surged last year due to design changes and staff pick ups. From looking at their website, Westlake picked up a long time SCV staff member as an assistant band director prior to the 2018 season and it made a huge impact. I expect both programs to continue to surge in 2019. 

Oak Ridge - I was SO impressed by this band earlier in the season last year. For some reason it didn't carry all the way through San Antonio. The design is top notch, and I am really excited about what they bring to the table in 2019. 

Seven Lakes - Same Story as oak ridge - I was blown away at BOA Houston but didn't carry all the way to San Antonio. Another band with CRAZY good design. What an interesting theme last year. 

I say Reagan and TWHS would be top contenders of the confirmed group - Vandy and Bowie usually attend this event - so you can not count them out