Texas Marching Classic 2019

Wow this contest is gonna be great, A Must attend event! Vandy, Reagan, Leander are going to put up a real fight. Cedar Park refining their show even more, it might be hard to medal with the other Three past champions battleing it out. Rouse is aiming for top 5 this time around. Don't want to miss Cedar Ridge exhibition, they were already better than last year at BOA Austin and it's still early in the season, so all these bands still have time to clean up before SA or Grand Nats.

I was blown away by Sandra day O’Connors preformance they might make it ... I think there new directors have something brewing at O’Connor highschool

I think O'Connor is gonna take on Hays for that last spot. However, I have not seen them yet so it is hard to say.

I saw their performance in Houston and it seemed to be incomplete. I think that they could have a real chance at finals if they can finish it up this week and clean up the last part some. If they can get some good rehearsals in this week they will be exciting to watch.

Texas Marching Classic rundown!

9:45 - Manor (Manor ISD, Manor) 5A

The only time I saw this band perform live was at the region competition last fall where they achieved their first 1 in marching band for the first time in quite some time. I remember walking through the stands after results were announced and hearing how happy and proud the kids were of their work. Because of that experience, the Manor band will always have a special place in my memory, here's to further years of improvement in this program!

10:00 - Weiss (Pflugerville ISD, Pflugerville) 5A

At Vista Ridge this past weekend, Weiss took home the silver medal behind Lake Travis and passing up Dripping Springs. I fully expect them to make into finals this weekend and am curious to see how they perform head to head with more big names.

10:15 - W. Charles Akins (Austin ISD, Austin) 6A

In 2018, they were showing signs of improvement and from what I've been hearing they've taken a massive step up in quality of performance this year. I could see them making finals and causing some upsets.

10:30 - Midway (Midway ISD, Waco) 6A

This Waco group has been on an upward trend the last few years, I remember being especially impressed with their brass from a relatively early season video last year so they could really catch people off guard. At this rate, they could be in the conversation for finals at this competition relatively soon. Also I'm REALLY pulling for this group to do BOA Waco soon, it would be a fantastic experience for the kids to perform with top level ensembles right in their backyard like they've never been able to do before.

11:00 - Harker Heights (Harker Heights ISD, Harker Heights) 6A

I'm not super familiar with this group, but they did make finals here last year. With the greatly more competitive field this year, I don't see them making a return. They did end up placing in the top 5 at the Midway Marching Preview last weekend but that's all the information I have on them as of now.

11:15 - Cedar Park (Leander ISD, Cedar Park) 5A

I don't think CP needs much of an introduction, they just placed in the top 5 at BOA Austin and look to be wanting to do even better here. Excited to see how their show is progressed and it could effect their scores.

11:30 - Copperas Cove (Copperas Cove ISD, Copperas Cove) 6A

Coming off a victory this past weekend at Midway ahead of strong groups like East View and Belton, so they could very easily surprise us.

11:45 - Rouse (Leander ISD, Leander) 5A

After their historic 2018 season, Rouse is riding the momentum beautifully. Making finals at BOA Austin is pretty much a one way ticket into finals at TMC, but it will be interesting to see where they will end up placing.

12:00 - McNeil (Round Rock ISD, Austin) 6A

McNeil has a fantastic show this year that awarded them their first BOA caption award and highest BOA placement at McAllen, I hope to see them perform twice this weekend.

12:15 - Johnson (Hays CISD, Buda) 1A-4A

Loving what this group is already putting out so early on! Uncontested in their class, they will be performing in exhibition at finals.

1:30 - Sandra Day O'Connor (Northside ISD, Helotes) 6A

This is a very interesting group to keep your eyes on. After their big staff changes transitioning into the 2018 season, I think the recovered beautifully. While their 23rd placement at BOA Katy seems unpromising, the bubble at that competition was massive and they did to place 10th in visual, so there is still some promise for them this weekend.

1:45 - Winston Churchill (North East ISD, San Antonio) 6A

It's been 3 weeks since we saw them perform in McAllen where they walked away with the visual caption and placed 3rd (losing the 2nd place tie to Roma's GE). I don't see them missing finals at all as Churchill has had plenty of time to improve and clean up the show.

2:00 - Belton (Belton ISD, Belton) 6A

I was blown away with their performance at BOA Austin. If you told me that this group had a complete staff turnover and I didn't know better, I would have laughed at you. Certainly a dark horse for finals this weekend.

2:15 - John Paul Stevens (Northside ISD, San Antonio) 6A

Stevens made area finals last fall and appear to be off to fairly strong start this season. I really don't have any other information on them at the moment, so they're a big "?" for me.

2:30 - Vandegrift (Leander ISD, Austin) 6A

My personal favorite to win this contest, but not by a wide margin. I am almost certain they will take home the music caption and have a fair shot at the other two captions as well. I'm a huge fan of their show and they were very clean at Austin.

2:45 - Hendrickson (Pflugerville ISD, Pflugerville) 6A

Even though Hendrickson finished outside of Austin finals, they will be comfortably within finals at this event I believe. I remember them having a strong performance in prelims at Austin, their show was just missing that little "oomph" and hopefully that's been added in by this weekend.

3:15 - Leander (Leander ISD, Leander) 6A

I'm gonna be honest, I'm just in love with Leander's show this year. I am rooting for them to win it all, but Reagan and Vandy are not going down without a fight. My favoritism towards the show inclines me to give them the GE caption, but I don't know for sure and would be a fool for saying I did.

3:30 - Louis D. Brandeis (Northside ISD, San Antonio) 6A

Brandeis has already had a fantastic season, winning the Rough Rider invitational and then tying with Dripping Springs at Vista Ridge. Curious to see if they can sneak into finals and cause and upset.

3:45 - James Bowie (Austin ISD, Austin) 6A

Yet another BOA Austin finalist at this contest who will comfortably be in finals. I do see them possibly pulling closer to CP here because I was very impressed with their show and their execution.

4:00 - Clements (Fort Bend ISD, Sugar Land) 6A

If my memory doesn't fail me, Clements has gone to this contest every single year since 2013 and made finals. In 2013 they even passed Reagan for the gold medal. While not always as strong as they were in 2013, Clements is still a fairly consistent Houston area group and I'd be surprised to see them missl

4:15 - Ronald Reagan (North East ISD, San Antonio) 6A

Reagan is the defending champion of this contest and they will not lose that title without a good, long fight. Seeing them on stream from Katy, their visuals were incredibly mesmerizing and in sync, so they are my favorite to win the visual caption.

1A-4A:

1st - Johnson

Johnson caption sweep

5A:

3rd - Weiss

2nd - Rouse

1st - Cedar Park

Cedar Park caption sweep

6A:

3rd - Leander

2nd - Ronald Reagan

1st - Vandegrift

Music - Vandegrift

Visual - Ronald Reagan

GE - Leander

My top 10:

1) Vandegrift

2) Ronald Reagan

3) Leander

4) Cedar Park

5) James Bowie

6) Rouse

7) Winston Churchill

8) Hendrickson

9) Clements

10) Weiss

-------------------------

Next 5:

John Paul Stevens, Louis D. Brandeis, McNeil, Sandra Day O'Connor, W. Charles Akins

The only time I saw this band perform live was at the region competition last fall where they achieved their first 1 in marching band for the first time in quite some time. I remember walking through the stands after results were announced and hearing how happy and proud the kids were of their work. Because of that experience, the Manor band will always have a special place in my memory, here's to further years of improvement in this program!

At Vista Ridge this past weekend, Weiss took home the silver medal behind Lake Travis and passing up Dripping Springs. I fully expect them to make into finals this weekend and am curious to see how they perform head to head with more big names.

In 2018, they were showing signs of improvement and from what I've been hearing they've taken a massive step up in quality of performance this year. I could see them making finals and causing some upsets.

This Waco group has been on an upward trend the last few years, I remember being especially impressed with their brass from a relatively early season video last year so they could really catch people off guard. At this rate, they could be in the conversation for finals at this competition relatively soon. Also I'm REALLY pulling for this group to do BOA Waco soon, it would be a fantastic experience for the kids to perform with top level ensembles right in their backyard like they've never been able to do before.

I'm not super familiar with this group, but they did make finals here last year. With the greatly more competitive field this year, I don't see them making a return. They did end up placing in the top 5 at the Midway Marching Preview last weekend but that's all the information I have on them as of now.

I don't think CP needs much of an introduction, they just placed in the top 5 at BOA Austin and look to be wanting to do even better here. Excited to see how their show is progressed and it could effect their scores.

Coming off a victory this past weekend at Midway ahead of strong groups like East View and Belton, so they could very easily surprise us.

After their historic 2018 season, Rouse is riding the momentum beautifully. Making finals at BOA Austin is pretty much a one way ticket into finals at TMC, but it will be interesting to see where they will end up placing.

McNeil has a fantastic show this year that awarded them their first BOA caption award and highest BOA placement at McAllen, I hope to see them perform twice this weekend.

Loving what this group is already putting out so early on! Uncontested in their class, they will be performing in exhibition at finals.

This is a very interesting group to keep your eyes on. After their big staff changes transitioning into the 2018 season, I think the recovered beautifully. While their 23rd placement at BOA Katy seems unpromising, the bubble at that competition was massive and they did to place 10th in visual, so there is still some promise for them this weekend.

It's been 3 weeks since we saw them perform in McAllen where they walked away with the visual caption and placed 3rd (losing the 2nd place tie to Roma's GE). I don't see them missing finals at all as Churchill has had plenty of time to improve and clean up the show.

I was blown away with their performance at BOA Austin. If you told me that this group had a complete staff turnover and I didn't know better, I would have laughed at you. Certainly a dark horse for finals this weekend.

Stevens made area finals last fall and appear to be off to fairly strong start this season. I really don't have any other information on them at the moment, so they're a big "?" for me.

My personal favorite to win this contest, but not by a wide margin. I am almost certain they will take home the music caption and have a fair shot at the other two captions as well. I'm a huge fan of their show and they were very clean at Austin.

Even though Hendrickson finished outside of Austin finals, they will be comfortably within finals at this event I believe. I remember them having a strong performance in prelims at Austin, their show was just missing that little "oomph" and hopefully that's been added in by this weekend.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm just in love with Leander's show this year. I am rooting for them to win it all, but Reagan and Vandy are not going down without a fight. My favoritism towards the show inclines me to give them the GE caption, but I don't know for sure and would be a fool for saying I did.

Brandeis has already had a fantastic season, winning the Rough Rider invitational and then tying with Dripping Springs at Vista Ridge. Curious to see if they can sneak into finals and cause and upset.

Yet another BOA Austin finalist at this contest who will comfortably be in finals. I do see them possibly pulling closer to CP here because I was very impressed with their show and their execution.

If my memory doesn't fail me, Clements has gone to this contest every single year since 2013 and made finals. In 2013 they even passed Reagan for the gold medal. While not always as strong as they were in 2013, Clements is still a fairly consistent Houston area group and I'd be surprised to see them missl

Reagan is the defending champion of this contest and they will not lose that title without a good, long fight. Seeing them on stream from Katy, their visuals were incredibly mesmerizing and in sync, so they are my favorite to win the visual caption.

1A-4A:

1st - Johnson

Johnson caption sweep

5A:

3rd - Weiss

2nd - Rouse

1st - Cedar Park

Cedar Park caption sweep

6A:

3rd - Leander

2nd - Ronald Reagan

1st - Vandegrift

Music - Vandegrift

Visual - Ronald Reagan

GE - Leander

My top 10:

1) Vandegrift

2) Ronald Reagan

3) Leander

4) Cedar Park

5) James Bowie

6) Rouse

7) Winston Churchill

8) Hendrickson

9) Clements

10) Weiss

Next 5:

John Paul Stevens, Louis D. Brandeis, McNeil, Sandra Day O'Connor, W. Charles Akins

BOA Houston was insane this year. Keep in mind programs like Westfield, College Park, Friendswood, and Pflugerville also placed below 20th despite proving they are performing very well this season. 

I’m looking for Rouse to give Cedar Park a run for their money here. I think the 5A competition will be tight and I’m not convinced that CPHS will take every caption. Can’t wait to see this competition on Saturday! And it’s just such a fun one, too! All those hokey shout outs between bands. I can’t wait. :)

1A-4A:

1st - Johnson

Johnson caption sweep

5A:

3rd - Weiss

2nd - Rouse

1st - Cedar Park

Cedar Park caption sweep

6A:

3rd - Leander

2nd - Ronald Reagan

1st - Vandegrift

Music - Vandegrift

Visual - Ronald Reagan

GE - Leander

My top 10:

1) Vandegrift

2) Ronald Reagan

3) Leander

4) Cedar Park

5) James Bowie

6) Rouse

7) Winston Churchill

8) Hendrickson

9) Clements

10) Weiss

Next 5:

I always appreciate the kind words and your insight!