BOA Waco 2019

In general I agree with both Jeffery and Samuel. Another recent example would be Timber Creek having a 10 point increase in the week between BOA Bedford and Midland. I think the explanation is found in their placement at the two competitions. 9th place and 2nd place performances have relative values as do the differences between the performances of the bands competing at same event, though this second part is much less reliable.

This also helps explain why the logic of the claim made on another forum, that a BOA Regional win is much more impressive than being the bubble band left out of Finals at another BOA competition and the HornRank Top 32 should include more bands from outside Texas, is so highly suspect. There is no persuasive evidence that simply winning a small, local BOA Regional makes you a better band than the one that finishes 15th at the BOA San Antonio Super Regional. Scores and placement require context.

In addition to the relative level of competition, the total number of bands at a competition drives relative scores and differentials. This accounts for the difference in Blue Spring's score at St. Louis. The other alternative is that you push down the scores at the bottom of huge competitions like San Antonio or Grand Nationals. I doubt there is much support for sending kids home from these competitions with a score in the 30's, so the top gets squeezed and tenths or even hundredths matter.

I would be more concerned about scores within a single event, like L.D. Bell being .1 point behind Keller in Prelims and more than 5 points behind Keller in Finals at BOA Bedford. I'd like to know how the runs were different enough to support that. Or why this weekend at BOA Waco Dripping Springs' Individual Music placement was 12th and Ensemble Music placement was 7th, J.J. Pearce 14th and 8th, Sachse 8th and 15th, while Duncanville was 6th and 16th. If ensembles are made up of individuals and an appropriate aggregate individual sample size is used, how and why do we get swings like this?

In general I agree with both Jeffery and Samuel. Another recent example would be Timber Creek having a 10 point increase in the week between BOA Bedford and Midland. I think the explanation is found in their placement at the two competitions. 9th place and 2nd place performances have relative values as do the differences between the performances of the bands competing at same event, though this second part is much less reliable.

This also helps explain why the logic of the claim made on another forum, that a BOA Regional win is much more impressive than being the bubble band left out of Finals at another BOA competition and the HornRank Top 32 should include more bands from outside Texas, is so highly suspect. There is no persuasive evidence that simply winning a small, local BOA Regional makes you a better band than the one that finishes 15th at the BOA San Antonio Super Regional. Scores and placement require context.

In addition to the relative level of competition, the total number of bands at a competition drives relative scores and differentials. This accounts for the difference in Blue Spring's score at St. Louis. The other alternative is that you push down the scores at the bottom of huge competitions like San Antonio or Grand Nationals. I doubt there is much support for sending kids home from these competitions with a score in the 30's, so the top gets squeezed and tenths or even hundredths matter.

I would be more concerned about scores within a single event, like L.D. Bell being .1 point behind Keller in Prelims and more than 5 points behind Keller in Finals at BOA Bedford. I'd like to know how the runs were different enough to support that. Or why this weekend at BOA Waco Dripping Springs' Individual Music placement was 12th and Ensemble Music placement was 7th, J.J. Pearce 14th and 8th, Sachse 8th and 15th, while Duncanville was 6th and 16th. If ensembles are made up of individuals and an appropriate aggregate individual sample size is used, how and why do we get swings like this?

Not to undermine your point, but that was Coppell, not LD Bell, who was .1 behind Keller in DFW prelims. And I think the explanation is fairly simple. Keller went third in prelims and was therefore the first scored finalist. The other finalists were very spread out causing that inconsistency. In finals, the judges were able to make more direct comparisons and came to a different and hopefully more accurate conclusion. These inconsistencies are concerning for San Antonio prelims with the 2 panel judging system.

[quote name="1998-2018" post="125384" timestamp="1571620314

I would be more concerned about scores within a single event, like L.D. Bell being .1 point behind Keller in Prelims and more than 5 points behind Keller in Finals at BOA Bedford. I'd like to know how the runs were different enough to support that.

Bell was actually ahead of Keller in prelims and only behind by Keller by .75 points in finals. Were you talking another year?

Bell was actually ahead of Keller in prelims and only behind by Keller by .75 points in finals. Were you talking another year?

No, correct year but the wrong bands and splits. My apologies. Please see below...

I was told there wouldn't be math.........

Me too...and getting old sucks. This is what happens when I get in a hurry and work from memory because my wife is waiting impatiently for me to do something she insists in more important than TxBands. I guess she could be correct about the order of priorities, but it seems like a long shot...

Not to undermine your point, but that was Coppell, not LD Bell, who was .1 behind Keller in DFW prelims. And I think the explanation is fairly simple. Keller went third in prelims and was therefore the first scored finalist. The other finalists were very spread out causing that inconsistency. In finals, the judges were able to make more direct comparisons and came to a different and hopefully more accurate conclusion. These inconsistencies are concerning for San Antonio prelims with the 2 panel judging system.

Please see above... Yes, as you said the point is still valid despite my erroneous example. It was L.D. Bell who went from ahead to behind Keller by a roughly equivalent split and this time we're not talking about a tenth. It was the Coppell swing that was more drastic. I'm very aware of how performance time and order can impact scores as well as the concept that Prelims are for getting the right bands into Finals and Finals are for getting the bands in the correct order. Unfortunately, in this case the additional swings I didn't previously address clearly indicate that without a Finalist withdrawing, another band would have been left out of Finals that, based on the final results, shouldn't have been. I'm concerned this competition isn't big enough to warrant these issues and Jeffery's question may be on the right track. Is BOA having trouble getting all the judges on the same page? I've been doing this a long time and my impression is this is happening more frequently then it used too.

The San Antonio Super Regional is big enough to amplify all this but I don't think the additional variable of a two panel judging system contributes in a meaningful way with one possible exception. The reliability of the two panel system is well proven at Grand Nationals, the exception is Semifinals judged by a single panel. If San Antonio is big enough for two judging panels, it's big enough for a single panel Semifinal. The logistics of putting that in place are more complicated them the current solution so the transition to Semifinals will take time.

Personally I am all for deeper discussions about what might be at issue. There are reasons shows score the way they do, and trying to understand those reasons is perfectly fine. These types of comments are not attacks against programs or performers, but are thoughtful and sometimes insightful comments about results and where we think those results came from. While most of us don't have access to the judges comments (I'm sure some of us do, at least for some programs), we then have to use our own eyes and ears, and general knowledge of the activity to try to make sense of the results, What drives GE? That one is hard for people to define and understand. It is probably the most subjective of the captions.

Another thing to understand about BOA, is that the scores are a general indication of mastery, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best. Whenever you see a score of 18+ in a caption, that means the judge thought the program was at the highest level of achievement (aka "Box 5") in that caption, but perhaps others still did it better. Those are the general guidelines that the BOA judges have, which have been asked about on this site. Within those generalizations the judge will assign rankings and scores based upon their opinion of the show vs the other shows. So while the scores may not be directly comparable between contests, the general achievement level can be. So once programs start hitting 16+ in captions, they are putting on a pretty strong show. 18+ will be a strong end of season finalist contender, 19+ is a champion contender.

Hendrickson was for sure a band that placed lower than expected despite haveing one heck of a performance, but others like Hays, Anderson, and Sachse also did great without the scores showing that. What is it that got these programs a lower score than anticipated?/what do the others do so great?

percussionmomma2022, I have a few questions to help clarify what you have said. I genuinely want to understand. I will also add some comments to try to ensure I was correctly understood. I would like to see others join the conversation too. What happened at Waco has been a common question.

As a proud Hendrickson parent I just wanted to weigh in on this weekend.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to Bowie HS and to all of the finalist! Each of your shows were beautiful and we are excited for each of you!

Secondly, yes our kids were heartbroken but that means it matters! That means you get back up and keep fighting.

I absolutely agree.

Thirdly, change is HARD and that is what our program is in the middle of walking through. Plain and simple. No paranoid theories or dramatic sub plots....change is hard.

Change is incredibly hard and is the path that leads to growth and increased success.

Pointing blame at any one person is hurtful and undermines everything our program is built on.

Are you saying I did this?

Or did someone else?

It would be wrong to do this publicly. In my view I specifically and intentionally avoided this. No single individual is called out by name or title.

I do make reference to potential design issues. At the level of a high quality program like Hendrickson I would assume these decisions are made by an outside professional design team. Is that not the case?

Lastly, for the most part every comment on this thread has been constructive but some are hurtful and other are just wrong.

In your opinion, where does my comment fall? Constructive, hurtful, wrong, or some combination of the three?

I think you overlooked a possibility. My intention was to be informative.

PLEASE remember that our kids (not just Hendrickson but All of our kids) read these comments...

I am keenly aware of this. That's why I strive to be respectfully informative. I've been involved with our band program for over twenty years. I also coached baseball at a high level for twenty years. In all that time I never met a successful kid who didn't want to hear the honest truth told in a respectful way, with no whitewash. Kids are dying for the truth so they understand what is happening. Parents too. I offered an educated opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree, but I think that's what makes this place helpful.

...and in a season where they are looking for any kind of validation they don’t need to read that they are “sub-par”...

Who said they are sub-par?

I certainly didn't. My comments regarding their history clearly put them well within the top 1% of bands in the entire country. That's not sub-par.

...or read private band family stuff being aired on a public forum.

I didn't do this either.

Are you referring to information that came out in another comment by someone else?

What did you consider to be "private band family stuff?

Again, congratulations to Bowie and all of the other finalist! We are proud of your success and we will see you all in 2 weeks in San Antonio!

I'm looking forward to San Antonio too! I would encourage you and the kids to persevere, the journey is worth it.

percussionmomma2022, I have a few questions to help clarify what you have said. I genuinely want to understand. I will also add some comments to try to ensure I was correctly understood. I would like to see others join the conversation too. What happened at Waco has been a common question.

I absolutely agree.

Change is incredibly hard and is the path that leads to growth and increased success.

Are you saying I did this?

Or did someone else?

It would be wrong to do this publicly. In my view I specifically and intentionally avoided this. No single individual is called out by name or title.

I do make reference to potential design issues. At the level of a high quality program like Hendrickson I would assume these decisions are made by an outside professional design team. Is that not the case?

In your opinion, where does my comment fall? Constructive, hurtful, wrong, or some combination of the three?

I think you overlooked a possibility. My intention was to be informative.

I am keenly aware of this. That's why I strive to be respectfully informative. I've been involved with our band program for over twenty years. I also coached baseball at a high level for twenty years. In all that time I never met a successful kid who didn't want to hear the honest truth told in a respectful way, with no whitewash. Kids are dying for the truth so they understand what is happening. Parents too. I offered an educated opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree, but I think that's what makes this place helpful.

Who said they are sub-par?

I certainly didn't. My comments regarding their history clearly put them well within the top 1% of bands in the entire country. That's not sub-par.

I didn't do this either.

Are you referring to information that came out in another comment by someone else?

What did you consider to be "private band family stuff?

I'm looking forward to San Antonio too! I would encourage you and the kids to persevere, the journey is worth it.

Absolutely none of my post was directed towards you or your comments. I found your insights to be fair and constructive. My comments were directed to the thread as a whole. I have been a band parent a looooooong time and have never commented on a thread until last week. I love reading what other people are thinking and learning from everyone! This one was a hit button for me because others comments were, at best, not accurate.

Once inside the experience was defined by:

Disco Music

Disco Dancing

Fashion

Drugs

Sex

Absolute Decadence

How many of these things also define the Hendrickson show?

Extremely limited access? Not really, it's not demonstrated on the field in a memorable way that defines the show.

Disco Music? Yes, the melodies are there but the relentlessly driving groove of a dance club is never the strength of any marching band. It's a problematic design choice.

Disco Dancing? Not at a level that defines the show.

Fashion? Sort of, but not really. The Guard fashion looks like 1967 to 1972. Studio 54 opened ten years later, in 1977, and fashion had changed considerably. It would probably be helpful if they looked less like flamboyant extras from The Mod Squad and more like the cast of Saturday Night Fever or even The Village People.

Drugs? Definitely not.

Sex? No, not even a little.

Decadence? It's in the name of the show but that's as far as it goes and for a high school marching band, that is as it should be

Henny made finals at SA in 16', 17'& 18'. 3 years, not 2 and was lumped with the few bands that were screwed over by BOA in 15'.

As a 1980 high school graduate, the fashion is correct. We went from bell bottoms or short shorts, tight knit shirts and platform shoes (not on the marching field, thank god!) To puffy sleeves and parachute pants almost over night in the early eighties. The short life of Studio 54 influenced both fashion and Music of that time.

The title is "Music" of a Decadent People. Not the Decadence of the people.

I'm not sure if I agree totally with everything you have said, but I do think it's time for Henny to find another show designer. I don't feel the current designer is as invested in the program as before.

A lot of members graduated in 2019 and I consider Henny to be a fairly young band this year and with the new director change, I'm sure is influencing the show somewhat. But to see the judges placements; I'm not totally convinced that it is the program, the show or the bands performance that reflects the results.

Absolutely none of my post was directed towards you or your comments. I found your insights to be fair and constructive. My comments were directed to the thread as a whole. I have been a band parent a looooooong time and have never commented on a thread until last week. I love reading what other people are thinking and learning from everyone! This one was a hit button for me because others comments were, at best, not accurate.

Thank you for responding, I'm relieved to here this. I guess the timing of your comment coming so quickly after mine had me unnecessarily concerned. Your clarification will likely provide helpful context for others reading the thread.

Henny made finals at SA in 16', 17'& 18'. 3 years, not 2 and was lumped with the few bands that were screwed over by BOA in 15'.

My statement was accurate, yours simply covers a longer time period. No slight was intended and I concede your point. Both statements support the high quality of the program, but that was never in dispute, was it?

As a 1980 high school graduate, the fashion is correct. We went from bell bottoms or short shorts, tight knit shirts and platform shoes (not on the marching field, thank god!) To puffy sleeves and parachute pants almost over night in the early eighties. The short life of Studio 54 influenced both fashion and Music of that time.

Our ages are very similar and I won't question your experience. I will point out fashion trends typically start on the coasts and move inland at highly variable speeds and not all fashions catch on in all places. Maybe timelines or trends were different in you region. If you went straight from true bell bottoms to parachute pants, you skipped the defining disco era fashion. The pre-disco classic bell bottoms ('67-'72) were tight at the knee and extremely wide at the foot. Classic disco era fashion ('77) was loose at the knee and flaired at the foot before it transitioned to very wide straight-legs, often with a cuff at the bottom. Online there are plenty of photos from inside Studio 54 that show this, or there's always Saturday Night Fever and popcorn. Did John Travolta wear a single puffy sleeve shirt on the dance floor? Sharp dress shirts with large collars were the norm.

(Okay, that tangent went a long way into the weeds even for a TxBands thread.)

The title is "Music" of a Decadent People. Not the Decadence of the people.

That sounds like a distinction without a difference. Especially in terms of design.

I'm not sure if I agree totally with everything you have said, but I do think it's time for Henny to find another show designer. I don't feel the current designer is as invested in the program as before.

A lot of members graduated in 2019 and I consider Henny to be a fairly young band this year and with the new director change, I'm sure is influencing the show somewhat.

Sounds like reasonable concerns that may need to be addressed behind closed doors. New staff need time and there's nothing quite like a "players only" meeting so upperclassmen can get the attention of younger students.

But to see the judges placements; I'm not totally convinced that it is the program, the show or the bands performance that reflects the results.

There is of course another variable you mention only indirectly. I purposely avoided addressing right or wrong regarding placement, choosing instead to focus on a possible alternative interpretation and supporting explanation of the reported Judges comments that had been a point of frustration. In my experience when something like this happens, especially to a program going through the transition you describe, there are usually multiple contributing factors.

Changing topics, what are some thoughts about McLane Stadium as a BOA venue? I had mixed feelings. One one hand it was a spectacular backdrop, and the parking and staging were ample. On the other hand it was a very difficult stadium to navigate as a spectator, and especially as a band parent volunteer. Why was there only one entrance, and why was it on the opposite side of the field from the home side that the bands play to? Also, despite the stadium's size I found good seats at a premium because the upper decks were either closed or reserved for VIPs. The lower deck has great sightlines for football, but not for band - it was impossible to watch from a high vantage point, especially from between the 30s. Not to mention the ridiculously long lines for the one concession stand open!

Changing topics, what are some thoughts about McLane Stadium as a BOA venue? I had mixed feelings. One one hand it was a spectacular backdrop, and the parking and staging were ample. On the other hand it was a very difficult stadium to navigate as a spectator, and especially as a band parent volunteer. Why was there only one entrance, and why was it on the opposite side of the field from the home side that the bands play to? Also, despite the stadium's size I found good seats at a premium because the upper decks were either closed or reserved for VIPs. The lower deck has great sightlines for football, but not for band - it was impossible to watch from a high vantage point, especially from between the 30s. Not to mention the ridiculously long lines for the one concession stand open!

I completely agree with all of your points....especially the opposite entrance and single concession stand!

However, there were some positives:  the VIP access was only about $7 extra and offered great seating and views and unlike San Antonio, you weren't struggling to get a decent seat.  It also had plenty of room for bands that had earlier performance times to sit as a group and watch others perform.

Also...with the scale of such a large stadium and the ability to spread out, it sometimes gave the appearance of a smaller audience which was not the case.  Will be interesting to see if the financials for BOA support a repeat next year.

Entering on the opposite side was definitely weird, but was cool to walk in and see a show from the different sides as you walked around.

I never buy from concession anyways because I am cheap. Had I known that VIP seating was only $29 I may have talked myself into buying.

I usually sit at the very top of the stands but with how low the lower deck was, it felt more intimate which I ended up liking. I felt like I could still get a good read visually as well. Once again, loved the cushioned seats and cupholders. Personally hope that Waco is at McLane Stadium again next year.

Also.. I never ended up buying a ticket. Was running a little late for finals, walked up to the security and went through the metal detectors. I was expecting to see the ticket booth inside but I went up the stairs and I was in. Started walking to the other side thinking that maybe the ticket booths were somewhere over there. But then I got to the other side and... well I sat down.