BOA Waco 2019

This has been my favorite contest that I’ve attended this year. Really enjoyed the stadium, how it frames the field, cushioned seats and cup holders! I also agree with the captions but not the score gap between top 2. Also, 85 sounds a little low for Keller this late in the season right?

Scores are really low @ DFW and Waco compared to other competitions and compared to last year. Keller scored an 85.50 in DFW prelims last year. But they scored over Bell by a decent amount this year at DFW so I don’t think they are struggling at all. And I think that they have a ton of room left to grow.

Well, while you shouldnt compare scores between regionals because there are prone to be some differences due to the competition and trying to order bands correctly, scores still have a relative meaning. This is how superior ratings are given at UIL and contests that do things like that. Judges know roughly what might be deserving of a 15.0 in a caption as opposed to a 16.0 or 17.0 and should hopwfully stay pretty close to that.

This was the week that Keller finally put the closer on the field right?

Probably, or it definitely seemed like it. There’s a video out there from prelims. The closer is really dirty, especially visually. But the 1 minute trombone octet accompanying the band there at the end while the drill and music is insane is probably up there as one of my favorite moments of the year.

I’m not sure if everyone got the opportunity to see the entirety of the scores, so here’s prelims and finals.

-prelims-

1. James Bowie HS - 85.900

2. Keller HS - 84.175

3. Waxahachie HS - 83.175

4. James Martin HS - 82.200

5. Seven Lakes HS - 81.850

6. Aledo HS - 81.200

7. Dripping Springs HS - 80.000

8. Burleson Centennial HS - 78.950

9. J.J. Pearce HS - 76.650

10. Richland HS - 75.900

11. Lake Ridge HS - 75.650

12. W.E. Boswell HS - 74.700

13. Mansfield HS - 74.575

14. Forney HS - 74.400

15. Sachse HS - 74.200

16. North Mesquite HS - 73.300

17. Robert E. Hendrickson HS - 72.850

18. Duncanville HS - 72.150

19. Jack C. Hays HS - 69.875

20. North Garland HS - 69.700

21. Anderson HS - 69.200

22. Magnolia HS - 69.150

23. Lakeview Centennial HS - 67.250

24. W. Charles Akins HS - 66.600

25. John Horn HS - 66.050

26. South Grand Prarie HS - 65.100

27. Cleburne HS - 64.900

28. Lamar HS - 62.950

29. Robinson HS - 60.350

-finals-

1. James Bowie HS - 87.450

2. Keller HS - 85.600

3. Waxahachie HS - 84.300

4. James Martin HS - 84.000

5. Seven Lakes HS - 82.925

6. Aledo HS - 80.850

7. Burleson Centennial HS - 79.000

8. Dripping Springs HS - 78.800

9. J.J. Pearce HS - 77.900

10. Richland HS - 77.300

Outstanding Music Performance – Keller HS

Outstanding Visual Performance – James Bowie HS

Outstanding General Effect – James Bowie HS

Yeah, it seemed like every band member in the area got down and grabbed as many as they could find.

Did anyone see how they cleaned up the leaves? I forgot to look.

Everything about Pearce’s show was absolutely beautiful! Y’all should be proud!

We are all extremely proud of our group, all the more because of hardships behind the scenes. We marched both runs down several marchers including a bass drum (flu), had kids (and props) struggle with the heat, and even weathered a truck tire blowout on I-35! And yet the kids still stepped up and delivered the first BOA finals result in school history. (as far as we know) 

As for the leaves, each marcher was simply assigned a leaf "quota" to pick up and shove in their pockets! 

Just some thoughts I wanted to get down about this weekend:

From 2017-2019 Bowie has continuously produced some of the most creative shows. And Then I Saw The Sky (I think that’s what it’s called?) is one of my favorite marching shows ever. I really hope to see them back in SA finals after just barely missing last year, and beating Keller is definitely a step in the right direction. I think it’s no surprise that Keller was very dirty here; that closer was insanely challenging and frankly this is their toughest show ever. Keller is notorious for a slow build. In 2015 our first full run of the show was at SA prelims. Last year, our first full run was in area prelims. So believe it or not, Keller is a bit ahead of schedule this season.

Also, it is extremely shocking to see Hendrickson place that low. Is the show really just not connecting with the judges or did Henny go through more major transitions?

Just some thoughts I wanted to get down about this weekend:

From 2017-2019 Bowie has continuously produced some of the most creative shows. And Then I Saw The Sky (I think that’s what it’s called?) is one of my favorite marching shows ever. I really hope to see them back in SA finals after just barely missing last year, and beating Keller is definitely a step in the right direction. I think it’s no surprise that Keller was very dirty here; that closer was insanely challenging and frankly this is their toughest show ever. Keller is notorious for a slow build. In 2015 our first full run of the show was at SA prelims. Last year, our first full run was in area prelims. So believe it or not, Keller is a bit ahead of schedule this season.

Also, it is extremely shocking to see Hendrickson place that low. Is the show really just not connecting with the judges or did Henny go through more major transitions?

Your question deserves a good answer.How was a Band as Good as Hendrickson given such a low score. This set me to looking at BOA scores for certain Bands this year and I dound some interesting if not confusing scores for events. For differences of scores on Bands at Two Different BOA Contests.

Iowa Regional

1.  Blue Springs, Mo      82.856

2.  Rosemont,    MN      82.600

4. O'Fallon,         IL        79.750

St. Louis Super Regional

2.  Blue Springs, MO      90.720

11.Rosemont,     MN      82.975

O'Fallon, IL                88.050

The question I have is how did Blue Springs jump in one month almost 8 Points. The same for O'Fallon. I have to believe that if it was because of different judges, than BOA needs to explain how Bands could jump that much at two different contests. I think the fact is that like other contests BOA judges are not always on the same sheet of music.