New Marching Band UIL Rule - Physicals :)

Well it looks like the UIL authorities have finally figured out that marching band

can be very athletic!   Received a note from the band that physicals will now be required prior to the marching season.  Maybe not every year, but at least the incoming year.    Our email said entering 9th and entering 11th grades, but I don't know if that is because Plano has 9/10 schools and 11/12 schools.  

Have you guys not been required to have them in past years? That surprises me. Do your kids get PE credit for marching band? Our kids aren’t allowed to attend summer band camp until they have a current physical for the year on file.

CTJ has always required physicals to be submitted.  They use the same form that the district requires for athletics.

All the same for Leander ISD.

Wow Leander has required them as long as I can remember. I truly had no idea UIL wasn’t requiring them before now! That’s insane considering how hard these kids work, and in such high temperatures. Astounding really!

Correct....our kids are not allowed to step on the field the first day of band camp without them.  

Here is the link: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/Marching_Band_Physical_Exam_FAQ.pdf

I know we always had to fill out paper work regarding their health and all, but it was always just saying they were healthy enough and didn't have any conditions that would prevent them from doing marching band.  I do think this is a good thing.  I have a feeling
the doctors offices around here will be quite busy around that time giving physicals :) .  Between the 6 high school bands and the 3 senior high school bands in Plano alone, that will be around 1500 kids!   Better get mine booked early!   

• 3 weeks later...

Richardson ISD Parent here - we've had no physical requirement for marching band, and this is the first I've heard of the UIL rule. So that's 4 more high school bands in the North Dallas/Plano area who will be booking Dr. appointments! 

if your school does not set it up and you have no preference. Carenow.com will do them for $35.00

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a few kids have to sit out until they have it to turn in.  Generally if they've forgotten to get it- they'll scramble and see someone the first day of summer band and have the paperwork done by the second day.

They really encourage the kids to get it done in the spring so it's all done and no worries by summer band, the school has dr's come in for two days after school and people can sign kids up for physicals for all sports in the spring.  We've just always gotten the paperwork done with the kids yearly physical with our family dr.  My kids have some asthma issues so we also fill out asthma action plans and get all the dr's signatures then.

I think I meant something else. I am wondering how often a doctor says that a kid is unable to participate in band

Ah... I see. 

I doubt most kids in general good health aren't turned away because of the physical, but the physical does allow the band to have documented physical things that might need accomodations.  The kids that have diabetes, kids with asthma (got my daughter out of sectional laps when the whole section was acting up and told to run it off).  My son had a band physical where we found a heart murmur.  It turned out to be nothing that kept him from marching, just something for dr's to monitor and watch as he grew.