BOA St Louis 2019

FANTASTIC showing by TX groups here. Some unexpected results, too. Rosemount was in the bottom half, despite beating Blue Springs earlier in the season in prelims. Haltom ahead of LD Bell is also unexpected, and makes me wish that they were attending San Antonio this year.

I'll try to catch at least the top half of finals later tonight.

Rosemount was a bit of a disappointment for me. Too many recycled Wes Cartwright ideas. There wasn't really any drill moment that looked fresh to me. And the brass was so muffled at all the big moments. Generally, there was just a lack of clarity and energy.

Now, Wes Cartwright's #1 client, Broken Arrow, was a different story. I am LIVING for this show. I like it just about, oh, at least 10 times more than last year's production. They are bringing the kitsch this year, and it's awesome. I don't think this is the strongest music performance BA has given, but the arranging is outstanding, and it helps gloss over some of the weaker moments musically. I think maybe there could have been a few fewer fences on the field, but we all know how much Wes loves to fill the field up with stuff.

Union I thought gave a pretty rough performance of an interesting show. I'd like it a lot more if it were cleaner, which hopefully it will be by Nationals. Also, some of the music arranging didn't make a whole lot of sense. Like, the back and forths between the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra and the Garbage Concerto in the opener.

I think LD Bell's Cartwright show falls somewhere in between Rosemount's and Broken Arrow's in quality, but definitely closer to Broken Arrow's. I think they're clawing their way back to their circa 2012 form. Lots to appreciate here. I like how the panels are pulled up and moved around the field. They really sculpt the field nicely, and as a result, I think the visual in the 2nd half of the show is much more interesting than the visual in the first half. Still not quite giving the knockout performance they used to give, but maybe in the near future.

Blue Springs, well, it's not a top 3 Nationals show. More like a just-in-finals Nationals show. A little bit too scatter-brained in the design, and the performance isn't nearly as polished as it was last year. Pacing was a bit off, too. I felt it drag. That said, I liked it a lot more than Rosemount's production, which topped them earlier in the season.

Oh. My. GOD! (That's what I just said out loud.) People had that Haltom show as a bubble band after seeing it in prelims?! Totally unexpected for me how wonderful this show was. Obviously the 2nd best band in the contest. It's not even close in my mind. That music performance alone puts them above the pack. But the visual program is wonderful as well. Totally thrilling and engaging. The only thing I'm worried about is the visual dirt holding them back a little. Anyway, why in the WORLD are they not taking this to San Antonio? This show is the best show I've seen tonight besides Broken Arrow's -- and that includes several groups we consider strong contenders for finals at San Antonio.