2019 5A Area B

I hope y'all are right about Friendswood.  The Houston area used to be the standard bearer for Texas Marching Bands.  Spring, Klein Oak and Westfield ruled the 80's and 90's.  But the last 10 years the whole area has been basically a no show besides The Woodlands and North Shore in class 5a and 6a at the state level.  Yes Seven Lakes is moving up but that is a recent phenomenon.   

And I'm moving to Keller so I can say this and not be a homer.  Lebanon Trail is going to surprise alot of people this year, I think they'll go in the top 3 at state.

What do you think will go down for area rankings?

• 3 months later...

This could happen. Lebanon Trail has a strong program all around and a positive vibe from what I can see. They did not add as many as they initially said - especially in percussion where they had a strong battery - so that leaves me a little hesitant as they either didn’t draw in as many or they lost several without having seniors graduate.

We will see what happens. Wakeland has had a building program and a has a great show this year. Lebanon Trail could get some positive momentum and, if they have cohesiveness, power past some of the others. Don’t count them out at all.

Comparing sections, Wakeland may have them in low brass, visual and front ensemble but LT would take woodwinds, high brass and battery based on what I’ve seen so far.

• 1 month later...

After seeing the FISD band showcase, Wakeland seems to be the strongest. Lebanon Trail seems strong musically but visually the have a lot of work. We'll see what happens

It seemed to me that Lebanon trail took music but Wakeland took visual, Lone star was really good too. If I had to rank them right now I’d have

1. Wakeland

2. Lebanon Trail (but really close)

3. Lone Star

4. Centennial

It seemed to me that Lebanon trail took music but Wakeland took visual, Lone star was really good too. If I had to rank them right now I’d have

1. Wakeland

2. Lebanon Trail (but really close)

3. Lone Star

4. Centennial

I agree except I would put Heritage as 4 as of right now. They had a great music performance as well

Think that’s for a different area, area b is being held in little elm this year

Yeah, seems like this year Area B is only Region 24(frisco schools plus little elm), region 25(sherman,denison, lovejoy, mckinney north,wylie east, and princeton) and region 2(denton & ryan, lake dallas, the colony, and northwest). There's only 23 schools, so only a max of four spots anyways, and if problems happens it could drop to 3.

Performance order for Area B prelims per a draw:

1. Sherman

2. Centennial

3. Denison

4. Independence

5. Wylie East

6. Lake Dallas

7. Wakeland

8. Lebanon Trail

9. McKinney North

10. Braswell

11. Lovejoy

12. Liberty

13. The Colony

14. Heritage

15. Princeton

16. Frisco

17. Denton

18. Memorial

19. Lone star

20. Northwest

21. Reedy

22. Little Elm

23. Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I have to say about the potential finalists text Saturday:

Wakeland- they're Wakeland.

Lone Star- didn't perform that good last year compared to 2017, but this year has made MASSIVE strides and I put them to potentially make state if they clean up their drill.

The Colony- haven't seen them in person but they are historically good

Wylie East- came out of nowhere the past two years, they have something to prove this year, and they've shown it musically and visually. Placed 1st at the Little Elm contest over Lone Star.

Lebanon Trail- for such a new school, they already have such a good program, I remember their show last year being jaw-dropping good. In my opinion, they march the best and visually overall are the strongest with Wakeland. Musically they are strong but their show consists of a lot of holding and playing. 

Centennial- from what I've seen from them this year, I don't think they are a contender for a state spot unless they make massive strides in the next few days.

Lovejoy- just an overall great and clean band, the only thing they lack is numbers although they sound like a 6A band. Won WMI over Lebanon Trail, that sound raise some eyebrows. Definitely don't them out this year.

Liberty- from what I remember, they are not the most visually strong program, and their music seems dirty and unsupported. Liberty's low brass overbalances the high brass and woodwinds quite obviously. 

Heritage- I would say Heritage is the most underrated band in Frisco, they are both musically and visually clean, but severely lack the numbers to compete with the others.

Princeton and McKinney North- from what I've seen, I now don't believe they are contenders for state, but will definitely make finals.

I would say the top 5 for music are

Wakeland

Wylie East

Lebanon Trail

Lovejoy

Lone star

Marching I would say

Lebanon Trail

Wakeland

Lovejoy

Wylie East

Lone Star

Finals predictions:

1. Wakeland

2. Lovejoy

3. Wylie East

4. Lone Star

5. The Colony

6. Lebanon Trail

7. Heritage

8. Liberty

9. Centennial

10. Reedy

I think that 4th place spot between Lone Star, The Colony, and Lebanon Trail is going to be the one to watch. Don't think that McKinney North or Sherman will make it into finals this year.

Finals predictions:

1. Wakeland

2. Lovejoy

3. Wylie East

4. Lone Star

5. The Colony

6. Lebanon Trail

7. Heritage

8. Liberty

9. Centennial

10. Reedy

I think that 4th place spot between Lone Star, The Colony, and Lebanon Trail is going to be the one to watch. Don't think that McKinney North or Sherman will make it into finals this year.

Does anyone remember Sherman's 2015 show? I was honestly shocked that they didn't advance to State but McKinney North did (no shade towards them). I know that was years ago, but to be completely honest, I feel like Sherman is a lot better than their placements. Granted, I haven't seen them the past 2 years, but definitely feel like they get the short end of the stick.