2019 BOA Grand National Championships

RR is the first band in a looong time to miss a regional final and make national finals

After this trip and last, you can take Round Rock performing on Saturday night in Lucas Oil to the bank. Their pushes have been a great story to prove that the season isn’t over until Chuck announces number 12.

Congrats to all 6 of our Texas bands that made finals with 4 out of 6 in the top half!

Amazing job to our Class AAA Champion with a sweep, Leander and our Class AAAA Champion also with a sweep.

I can't remember who it was that said it but the HornRank forums with non-Texans are definitely talking about Vandy not having a color guard. Times are changing and it's almost amusing seeing them debate it out over there.

Would love to watch the stream but I sadly don't have FloSports (thanks to the fact that I'm a broke college student.) So guess I'll remain on the forums and other media.

Bring home the Eagle, Texas!!!

Big congrats to Vandy and Leander. Both have been my favorite shows this year from the beginning of the year. Glad to see Hebron in the top 3 for 4a. But great job Team Texas, hopefully someone from Texas brings home the eagle tonight. Saying hopefully because I felt this way before, when Hebron scored 97.85 in prelims in 2015. I thought they were perhaps a lock for the eagle and still lost to Broken Arrow and Avon in finals.

I'm super proud of Texas as well... I will say this is the real marching band capital of America, and any of four major cities could dare to call themselves headquarters. 

But as a former Missourian, Illinoisan, and Indianan, I will point out one thing for the Midwest - the combined population of Missouri (6M), Indiana (6.5M), Oklahoma (4M), and Ohio (12 M) is about 28.5M or so.

Texas is at 28.7M.  

So, for us to have 6 in finals and those states to collectively have 5, is about right, per capita.  This factors in Missouri, which had no finalists this year (perhaps Blue Springs didn't come).  You would have to think OK would have one if Broken Arrow would have come.  

I'm super proud of Texas as well... I will say this is the real marching band capital of America, and any of four major cities could dare to call themselves headquarters. 

But as a former Missouri, Illinoisan, and Indianan, I will point out one thing for the Midwest - the combined population of Indiana, Missouri (6M), Indiana (6.5M), Oklahoma (4M), and Ohio (12 M) is about 28.5M or so.

Texas is at 28.7M.  

So, for us to have 6 in finals and those states to collectively have 5, is about right, per capita.  This factors in Missouri, which had no finalists this year (perhaps Blue Springs didn't come).  You would have to think OK would have one if Broken Arrow would have come.  

The ONLY reason Texas didn't have more bands in Finals is that only 6 bands traveled. If Reagan, Vista Ridge, and Marcus came up this year, Texas would have had 9 bands in Finals.

But as a former Missouri, Illinoisan, and Indianan, I will point out one thing for the Midwest - the combined population of Indiana, Missouri (6M), Indiana (6.5M), Oklahoma (4M), and Ohio (12 M) is about 28.5M or so.

Texas is at 28.7M.

So, for us to have 6 in finals and those states to collectively have 5, is about right, per capita. This factors in Missouri, which had no finalists this year (perhaps Blue Springs didn't come). You would have to think OK would have one if Broken Arrow would have come.

And California is at 39.5 million. Their numbers wouldn’t correlate. They would probably have two, if Vista Murrieta had made the trip along with Ayala.

You're right - at least those three other TX bands would've been there.  It is possible one would have been pushed out (maybe RR?).  Broken Arrow and Blue Springs might push out the one California (population 40M) group.  Some other groups bear mentioning, I don't mean to leave anyone out.

I stand by my point, overall, though - we should be careful not to gloat too much given the size and population of the state.  I actually don't mind if we gloat a little over California, though :D

This overlooks Illinois (14M), whom didn't get anyone in at all.  Illinois, population wise, is basically Chicago area + about 10 mid-size (150k-ish) cities "down state."  

The other point, I think we all agree, is Nationals is not "national" without Texas.

Another interesting one along with CA is FL. Population is somewhere around 21M and none in finals - Tarpon would be the top competitor, with Park Vista behind them. I don’t think the argument holds up, though. A point could be made by comparing the nearly equal populations in that grouping of states vs TX, TX just has the better bands, and an amazing depth. It’s just how it is. Congrats to all finalists and Im rooting for our 6-pack! Bring it home!

Is there any nice soul that is willing to give me their FloMarching info? Or if there's a way to do a free trial or literally anything. Had someone earlier show me a free stream and it's just not working at all and $12 is a lot for me.

Hate to be this person.

It won't let you do that.  Only can watch on one IP at a time.  Unless someone has it and is not watching.  Look for someone to screen capture and find it on Youtube.  Usually up pretty quickly.

Mason was quite good! Probably not going to break into the top 6, but the performance level was very high and I love the brass sound they have throughout their performance.

The Woodlands...wow! Easily the best show for me from an entertainment standpoint, they just exude fun and enthusiasm with their performance! It's probably a little bit too dirty to compete for a very high placing, but it is still one of the most fun shows of the season.