2019 BOA Grand National Championships

Can't wait to see the Texas bands this weekend! Was at the Indiana State finals on Saturday, and it will be a great GN final, of course I am biased towards Avon and feel they have one of their best shows in years, guard is unbelievable. Good luck to all bands and have to admit I am in awe of the number of great Texas bands each year. Hope you are welcomed well in Indy and enjoy our Hoosier hospitality, even if it's only 40 degrees.

Just curious....had a 3A band ever won Grand Nationals or has it always been 4A?

I can't name any off the top of my head (unless you include pre-2009 when the highest class was AAA), but in 2014 Tarpon Springs won while only being AA, then Marian Catholic has many championship titles under their name pre-2009 when they weren't in their brief AAA years.

Just curious....had a 3A band ever won Grand Nationals or has it always been 4A?

Not since they added 4A, except there has been 1 AA in 2014:

2014 - Tarpon Springs - AA

2007 - LD Bell - AAA

2006 - Broken Arrow - AAA

2005 - Carmel - AAA

2004 - Lawrence Central - AAA

2003 - Westfield - AAA

2002 - Lassiter - AAA

2001 - Lawrence Central - AAA

2000 - Marion Catholic - AAA

And others before 2000

I was thinking Tarpon Springs before remembering that they're 2A so I went ahead and found out all 3A champions... Only thing is that all of them were before 2009 (the year that class 4A became a thing) so if you were wondering if any 3A band has won since then, the answer is unfortunately no. Here's the list of what 3A bands have won in the past.

Rocky Mount 1986

PCEP 1990-91

Spring 1993

Center Grove 1995

Lake Park 1996

Lassiter 1998

PCEP 1999

Marian Catholic 2000

Lawrence Central 2001

Lassiter 2002

Westfield 2003

Lawrence Central 2004

Carmel 2005

Broken Arrow 2006

LD Bell 2007

Avon 2008

Ok, this is super random but have any of you ever watched the tv show glee? I started watching it recently for some mindless time passing and in the show there is a school called Carmel High (in Ohio) that is the 3 time defending national champion (for show choir). I just thought that it was super weird how coincidental that was for the school to be called Carmel and to have won 3 National Championships in a row.

Ok, this is super random but have any of you ever watched the tv show glee? I started watching it recently for some mindless time passing and in the show there is a school called Carmel High (in Ohio) that is the 3 time defending national champion (for show choir). I just thought that it was super weird how coincidental that was for the school to be called Carmel and to have won 3 National Championships in a row.

Let me guess, did Avon (OH) beat them at their last competition?

We were very fortunate to get our entire stadium rehearsal in this evening here in The Woodlands!  Weather for rehearsal and Send-Off Performance tomorrow night is going to be dry but FRIGID (wind chills in the high 20s).  The last time a TWHS Send-Off was this cold …… 2013.  Hmmm.

Safe travels to all!  Looking forward to meeting many of you.

How did it go last night?

Please don't be offended, but has band become "win at any cost"? People used to say things like "well, that's the best college football team that money can buy". Has that same attitude permeated into HS band so deep that we are willing to overlook any transgression "for the win"? 

I think that is a mindset, as a lot of the kids in the programs are playing to have fun. I won't deny that the best programs have the most resources, but that is all due to circumstance. And of course all these top programs care about winning, but that isn't the point that directors are trying to make to their students. I was part of a band that had MANY resources, and I wanted to win every competition I competed in. But that's not why I went out onto the field. I went onto the field to put on a show, to feel every brass chord, and to show just how much I loved my band. Now I'm sure there are some band students who only play for the gold, but I'm not sure that is a bad thing as long as those students don't forsake what truly matters.

Also, the phrase "the best team money can buy" wouldn't work here, as High School Bands don't buy/sign students "onto the roster". 

Transgression? What are you saying?

I am being intentionally vague. It's the broader conversation that needs to be aired. But I'm sure there are those on this blog who know what I'm referring to.

Transgressions: school districts glossing over problems with staff rather than taking action against staff.

Transgressions: band directors glossing over problems with students rather than taking action against students.

The "win at any cost" attitude justifies glossing over transgressions. :(

I am being intentionally vague. It's the broader conversation that needs to be aired. But I'm sure there are those on this blog who know what I'm referring to.

Transgressions: school districts glossing over problems with staff rather than taking action against staff.

Transgressions: band directors glossing over problems with students rather than taking action against students.

The "win at any cost" attitude justifies glossing over transgressions. :(

Not quite sure where you’re going with this but you probably should stay vague. I have no idea what you’re trying to say but it doesn’t sound like something that should be aired on a band forum. If you have a complaint it should be filed with your local school district or other proper authorities.