San Antonio Vs. Grand Nationals

I think Texas bands try too hard when they bring a show to GN. They really aren’t toning anything down. I actually think they are doing the opposite. They try to put out super competitive visual design (FloMo 16) and try compete with bands like Avon and Carmel. In reality, it hurts the rest of the show especially in execution. Texas bands need to play to their strengths when they go to Indy and not necessarily try to one-up Indy bands in design, because that probably won’t happen.

I think Texas bands try too hard when they bring a show to GN. They really aren’t toning anything down. I actually think they are doing the opposite. They try to put out super competitive visual design (FloMo 16) and try compete with bands like Avon and Carmel. In reality, it hurts the rest of the show especially in execution. Texas bands need to play to their strengths when they go to Indy and not necessarily try to one-up Indy bands in design, because that probably won’t happen.

Good point.

Most Texas bands that attend grand nationals make the same mistake that every drum Corp in recent years (except the blue devils) make the year following a championship. They just try to do too much. They look at their winning formula and say let's turn this up to 11.the only issue is they didn't need to. Flower mound could have easily won in 2017 but the show asked too much of the marchers and you could hear it. They sound tired at the end of that show. I mean I sure would be after marching around with a giant colored tile on my head playing FFF for a majority of the show. I whole heartedly believe that if a Texas school designed a show to win/medal at SA but just with 10% more difficulty(the amount that could actually be cleaned in that last week/week and a half) they would dominate grand nats. I think Hebron, reagan, and flomo this year were perfect examples of this. They both had designs that weren't too over the top and had just enough dirt left at San Antonio to polish up and gain that last point by nats.

Most Texas bands that attend grand nationals make the same mistake that every drum Corp in recent years (except the blue devils) make the year following a championship. They just try to do too much. They look at their winning formula and say let's turn this up to 11.the only issue is they didn't need to. Flower mound could have easily won in 2017 but the show asked too much of the marchers and you could hear it. They sound tired at the end of that show. I mean I sure would be after marching around with a giant colored tile on my head playing FFF for a majority of the show. I whole heartedly believe that if a Texas school designed a show to win/medal at SA but just with 10% more difficulty(the amount that could actually be cleaned in that last week/week and a half) they would dominate grand nats. I think Hebron, reagan, and flomo this year were perfect examples of this. They both had designs that weren't too over the top and had just enough dirt left at San Antonio to polish up and gain that last point by nats.

Dead on the nail here.

The Woodlands faced this same struggle each GN trip post-2006 until they finally mastered it in 2013.

Yes some Texas pride here, but also more opportunities for American Forks, Ayala, some of the WBA bands out there to participate in finals.  Where my Texas pride comes is that I think we'll beat all of them:)  But I also love to see a Clovis, NM band or Bentonville, Ark step into the picture and I do have respect for Indiana bands and other midwest programs.  They aren't heads and tails above the rest though, many years they aren't the best program out there.  My theme since finals ended has just been keep in mind the effect of travel.  Avon got 4th at San Antonio last year but moved up at Nationals.  They did have a great show and no one was going to beat CTJ and Hebron last year, but Avon probably lost a spot because of the travel.

So Texas bands go to Indy and yes they over do their attempts, but they also just got through sleeping on a bus for 18 hours.  It has an effect, one that Midwest bands should have to endure as well.

Hince, the rotation of grand nationals idea.

Also, one of the two  is a tourist town for something other than racing.  San Antonio wins that hands down for fun outside of the contest.

One of the complaints has been that other venues can't hold a competition of the size of grand nats. Well, San Antonio SR this year was almost as big, and I think it was pretty successful. Also, I would almost suggest that grand nats doesnt need to be as big as it is and shouldnt have as many lower caliber participants. Thats what regionals and super regionals are for. Call me an elitist, but I think GNats should have some sort of requirement (like a top-third finish at a super regional in the past 3 years) or something. That way it does actually feel like a national championship and not just a glorified Indy regional.

One of the complaints has been that other venues can't hold a competition of the size of grand nats. Well, San Antonio SR this year was almost as big, and I think it was pretty successful. Also, I would almost suggest that grand nats doesnt need to be as big as it is and shouldnt have as many lower caliber participants. Thats what regionals and super regionals are for. Call me an elitist, but I think GNats should have some sort of requirement (like a top-third finish at a super regional in the past 3 years) or something. That way it does actually feel like a national championship and not just a glorified Indy regional.

That's true, but at the end of the day, BOA and Music For All are about music education first and competition second. Going to Grand Nats is a HUGE draw for a lot of smaller programs and attending such a huge, prestigious event can be amazing for the growth of any organization. I don't necessarily disagree with you, that maybe having a more UIL entry system to Grand Nats could help, but eh. I don't mind it having smaller programs attend because of the gain they get from it.

I personally think that Grand Nats should rotate around a couple stadiums that could handle it - primarily the Super Regional stadiums. Lucas Oil and Alamodome could handle it for sure - not sure about the other venues. Obviously MFA will prioritize Indy because of where they're located, and because of the DCI influence, but I honestly don't see many downsides (the organizational side non-withstanding).

Edit: I hopped on to the conversation a little late and I think someone mentioned the rotation already - love that others agree

Lol. I marched that show, it wasnt that we were tired. Our underclassmen were just really bad.

Talking about travel last year, I'm not sure if that really effected our kids that much.  They had been in TX for a couple of days in the heat to get somewhat use to it, but were lucky to get 4th due to the extreme competition that was there.  A little over a point between 2 and 6 is tight and can go anywhere.  This past Saturday our kids were on the field practicing at 7.30am in 19 degree temps and windchill in single digits before going to semi-finals. Back to practice after that performance before leaving for finals. That's been their norm on weekends.  I know, we don't have the 8 hour rule and didn't get to bed until 3am Sunday, but hey are young and can handle it....us old folks not so much. :)

always enjoy your comments - Rock on Avon