What is the best show you’ve ever seen?

I was watching Cedar Park 2016 last night (I love how often marching shows appear in my “recommended list” on YouWho) and I had forgotten just what a brilliant show that was. The music is just incredibly good, and it was just such a highly enjoyable show. It was an honor for Leander to share the stage with them at Grand Nats that year.

It’s always amusing to me how some shows take a year or two before I truly appreciate their greatness. Like Hebron and Loop in 2015. It took me a few years to really recognize just how great that show was!!

I was watching Cedar Park 2016 last night (I love how often marching shows appear in my “recommended list” on YouWho) and I had forgotten just what a brilliant show that was. The music is just incredibly good, and it was just such a highly enjoyable show. It was an honor for Leander to share the stage with them at Grand Nats that year.

It’s always amusing to me how some shows take a year or two before I truly appreciate their greatness. Like Hebron and Loop in 2015. It took me a few years to really recognize just how great that show was!!

I believe 360 is the name of the show

Rewatching shows really does help you get a new appreciation for them! I really wasn’t a fan of Leonardo’s Dream the first time I watched it (shocking, I know), but revisiting it recently I’ve realized how amazing it is

LD BELL 2010 - Honor: We Will Remember 

This show was a tribute to the armed forces, and is one of the most moving shows I have ever seen. As the show develops, the field is gradually covered in Crosses, similar to the Arlington national cemetery in Washington DC. 

LD BELL 2011 - The Circles Edge 

This was a completely different show than 2010, an is the last time that LD bell won the BOA SA Super Regional. This is one of the hardest marching band shows I have ever seen. I have no idea what the theme is really, but the Iconic red and black guard costumes are burned in my brain as one of the most effective I have ever seen. This show is true Wes Cartwright genius.

MARIAN CATHOLIC  2012 - My Brothers Keeper

This is probably the most emotional marching band show I have ever seen. Marian placed 5th at Grand Natonals that year, and many thought they would place even higher. There was one point in the show when you heard the voices of hitler, osama bin laden, and various new clips of tragedies all with the background music of Karel Husa's "music for Prague 1968". The show ended in a creative way, with no music and simply the voice of Martin Luther King Jr, as the band solemly and quietly formed a peace sign on the field. I was there at GN finals in 2012, and there wasn't a single dry eye in the house after Marian Catholic performed. 

LEANDER 2015 - Choral Works

This show blew the doors off of what marching bands could do with electronics in my opinion. The very first time I saw it, the electronic sounds leading into the opening impact gave me chills. This is still my favorite Leander show - they really captured a special aesthetic with this one. 

Choral Works is my favorite opening hit of any show I've seen.

That was a fun year.  It was the first time we played Son Lux and our director actually met them in person.  They were so excited for Leander to play their music, and they sure were upset for us when we couldn't compete at BOA San Antonio that year due to the floods and not being able to work it in to the BOA schedule.  

That was a fun year. It was the first time we played Son Lux and our director actually met them in person. They were so excited for Leander to play their music, and they sure were upset for us when we couldn't compete at BOA San Antonio that year due to the floods and not being able to work it in to the BOA schedule.

I sit next to a trombone player from Leander in my college band. Class of 18!

• 4 weeks later...

I dont mean to revive an old thread, but I recently saw a state finals video on youtube of Spring HS from what was either the late 90s or early 2000s. It was simply amazing! So much running and playing and some very very abstract moments in the show such as an epic dance break and a few eerie sounding solos. At the end, the band literally runs in front of the pit and plays the final chord up in front of the stands. Im fairly confident that if this show had attended nationals, Spring HS would have won two national championships.

I dont mean to revive an old thread, but I recently saw a state finals video on youtube of Spring HS from what was either the late 90s or early 2000s. It was simply amazing! So much running and playing and some very very abstract moments in the show such as an epic dance break and a few eerie sounding solos. At the end, the band literally runs in front of the pit and plays the final chord up in front of the stands. Im fairly confident that if this show had attended nationals, Spring HS would have won two national championships.

That was "Altered State".   Spring got 4th at State behind champion LD Bell, and 2nd at BOA Houston (also behind Bell) that year.  But you know....against Marian's "Tragic Medusa" and PCEP's "Reflections on Obsessions" it might've been able to pull it off.  It's not like they were up against a Lassiter God-tier show ('98/'02) or PCEP's Thoughtcrime ('99).

I went to college with one of the drum majors from that show.  He's a band director now.

That Bell show from that year (King of Kings) was absolutely incredible too. It won State and caption-sweeped BOA Houston with a 3.25 lead over Spring.  It caption-sweeped San Antonio as well (winning 1st place votes from 13 of the 14 judges), beating Churchill by over SIX POINTS, and to me is one of those "Best shows that never went to Nats but would've likely won the Eagle".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Old thread, I know....

Found this via the Hornrank forum - here is a list of the 30 highest scores all-time at BOA contests:

97.85               Hebron                                   2015                Semifinals                              

97.75               Avon                                      2008                Finals

97.7                 LD Bell                                   2007                Semifinals

97.7                 Avon                                       2010                Finals

97.55               Lassiter                                  1998                Finals

97.5                 Broken Arrow                          2015                Finals

97.5                 Carmel                                    2017                Finals

97.45               Carmel                                    2016                Finals

97.45               Avon                                       2016                Finals

97.35               Carmel                                    2018                Finals

97.2                 Broken Arrow                          2015                Semifinals

97.15               Tarpon Springs                       2014                Finals

97.1                 Carmel                                    2005                Finals

97.1                 Avon                                       2010                Friday Prelims

97.05               Avon                                       2008                Semifinals

97.0                 Center Grove                         1995                Finals

97.0                 Plymouth Canton                   1999                Finals

97.0                 Broken Arrow                         2014                Finals

97.0                 Avon                                      2015                Finals

96.95               Carmel                                   2017                Semifinals

96.925             Broken Arrow                         2017                Semifinals

96.8                 The Woodlands                     2013                Finals

96.8                 Plymouth Canton                   1999                Semifinals

96.8                 Avon                                      2007                Semifinals

96.75               Broken Arrow                         2006                Finals

96.65               Lawrence Central                  2008                Semifinals

96.625             Claudia Taylor Johnson         2017                San Antonio Finals

96.6                 Avon                                      2009                Finals

96.6                 Avon                                      2015                Semifinals

96.6                 Flower Mound                        2018                San Antonio Finals

That I've seen live: Reagan 2014

They made state prelims really cool that year

In general: Either LD Bell 2004 or Reagan 2003 or Churchill 1997 (would love it if anyone told me what their opener was called)

My favorite moments in band history are that Hebron 2015 sax solo and and the Red Cape Tango in PCEP 1999