2019 5A State

It’s my first time to actually look at the scoring. But I was surprised as to the variation from the judges. Look at Friendswood. How does one judge give them a 3 and another give them a 12?

Scoring is always so interesting. I recall in 2017 where Roma’s scores for prelims were 7, 8, 10, 10, & 22 placing them in 11th place and missing state finals. I wonder if the 22 was anything closer to the other scores if they would have advanced then.

What a show! What a contest! Contests like this is the reason that I prefer UIL to BOA. The focus is on performance rather than the entertainment value or the "Wow!" factor of the performance. This allows bands like Highland Park (great show, extremely well played, nicely crafted and arranged) to have a chance to shine right alongside polar opposite shows of bands like Wakeland and their more BOA styled show.

Huge congrats to Cedar Park, Highland Park, and Wakeland. They stood out and the scores reflected it. I think this year's finals contest was the closest from top bottom that we have seen since the realignment. Even the judging panel was no slouch!

Great job to everyone involved.

Dunno about that. And yeh the other poster later brings up great names and all but outside the top 3 the finals ordinals for the other groups was like a freakin dartboard:

Rouse 5 and 10 in visual

Friendswood 8 3 & 12 in music 4 & 9 in visual

Lone Star 6 12 & 9 in music

Same ol, good ol UIL... I'm curious to how the shadow panel with the new sheet did tonight?

Shadow panel? Explain.

Due to a recent vote UIL will start having 7 judges instead instead of 5 for state finals. Yesterday there was a "shadow panel" of 7 judges that scored the state contest. Their scores didn't effect the results, they just wanted to test out the change.

Maybe they should throw out the highest and lowest score of the seven judges?   Did the judges have A badges?   I saw several people with A badges on the field making voice notes into their phones during the performance.  Nobody talked to them.  

Maybe they should throw out the highest and lowest score of the seven judges? Did the judges have A badges? I saw several people with A badges on the field making voice notes into their phones during the performance. Nobody talked to them.

I'm unsure whether or not the highest and lowest will be thrown out. I doubt the people on the field were on the shadow panel due to UIL never having field judges. I could be wrong though. I honestly didn't even notice them down there while I was on the field.

I wish uil posted prelims caption and class winners like boa does.

Who is live streaming this, anyone?

Btw, the legendary Philip Geiger, former Westfield band director) was a judge yesterday. Amanda Drinkwater is one of the judges tonight. Should interesting, very different style preferences there.

Nice!!

I remember hearing Philip Geiger judged last year’s state contest (6A) as well.

I'm unsure whether or not the highest and lowest will be thrown out. I doubt the people on the field were on the shadow panel due to UIL never having field judges. I could be wrong though. I honestly didn't even notice them down there while I was on the field.

I doubt high and lows will be thrown out. It seems closer to what the BOA format will be.

4 music judges: Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion and Ensemble.

Now I am assuming here that is what the 4 music judges will be scoring being that what we know for sure is that there are 4 music judges and there are 4 new sheets with these captions listed being proposed. I mean the pieces kinda fit...unless it's 3 music judges who get the ensemble sheets and 1 judge who gets to fill out the woodwind, brass, perc sheet. We will know for sure though by next marching season or sooner as news comes out.

Then you have 2 visual sheets: one for ensemble and one for individual (this could explain the guy on the field that the other poster noticed) and the 7th judge looks to be more of a GE guy being as the sheet is labeled "Content & Design."

Good contest though!!! Can't wait for 6A's next year!

I doubt they will ever release these scores, it’s probably just for UIL information to test it out. They’re probably shredded and burned to prevent a riot.

Exactly this.  

The numbers from the shadow panel are for UIL purposes only.  I am certain that small changes to the sheets and processes will need to be done before everything gets finalized so that it may be fed to the judges for training.

Thank you!! Great show from them, they’ve improved so drastically over the last few years. Pretty remarkable stuff from such a small ensemble. Rainbow connection was stunning! I wonder why their membership is so low compared to similarly sized schools. Maybe their success will help with recruitment. It’s about time they start attending BOA, they would be firmly in the running for finals at just about any regular season regional