2019 5A State

A lot of the judging is all over the place for prelims

One thing about UIL if you do not like the way a Band has been judged in Prelims, you can have the assurance that 5 different judges will do the Finals in your Class.    Having a different panel of judges for Prelims and  Finals I think would make it less likely that one Band will be trampled by the Judges. 

I haven’t been able to see Highland Parks show yet but I’ve heard it compared to be as great as a European Drum Corps show so I know it has to be good.

I was going to include them in my predictions but I made them at 1:00 am after SA, so I guess it’s fair to say I was very out of it groggy and forgetful. It’s a shame because I’d have had them very high.

I’ve been a fan of their shows for a bit I’d like to see their show. If anyone has a link it would be nice to watch it

A huge congratulations to Cedar Park! After their disappointing result at BOA San Antonio, it's great to see them bounce back and continue their 5A state success.

Sidenote, the judges chosen by UIL are all very accomplished. Amanda Drinkwater is the director of fine arts at Lewisville ISD and was the director of Marcus when they won state 5 times in a row. Dan Morrison is the head director at Ronald Reagan, who we all know just set a record for highest score at a BOA regional. Those are just the names I know off the top of my head. They know what they're doing.

Cedar Park is a dynasty like no other. In the last 5 cycles Cedar Park has one silver medal and FOUR gold medals. There's something about LISD as I think all of us also have to be on our toes as Rouse and Glenn are on their way. Maybe we will see another LISD medal sweep in 5A in the coming years...

I think the chances of that go way up if Leander drops back down to 5A.

wow, highland park unquestionably has the best 5A band program in the state! they got 2nd place, behind Lopez (who didn’t qualify for finals) in the state honor band competition (cedar park got 11th) and they got 2nd place in finals just now! one could even say they may have one of the best programs in the country for their size, just 72 winds on the field!

One thing about UIL if you do not like the way a Band has been judged in Prelims, you can have the assurance that 5 different judges will do the Finals in your Class.    Having a different panel of judges for Prelims and  Finals I think would make it less likely that one Band will be trampled by the Judges. 

Dunno about that. And yeh the other poster later brings up great names and all but outside the top 3 the finals ordinals for the other groups was like a freakin dartboard:

Rouse 5 and 10 in visual

Friendswood 8 3 & 12 in music 4 & 9 in visual

Lone Star 6 12 & 9 in music

Same ol, good ol UIL... I'm curious to how the shadow panel with the new sheet did tonight?

It’s my first time to actually look at the scoring. But I was surprised as to the variation from the judges. Look at Friendswood. How does one judge give them a 3 and another give them a 12?

Probably listening to different things/wanting a different balance. Also with rouse their 10th place score came from a visual judge and those are seated on the 30s so they really do see quite different things from each other.

While there are always concerns about uil judging, I will also point out the judges pretty much all unanimously agreed on the top 3. Wakeland and HP tied with 14, and then Centennial and Rouse were way behind at 29. Out of the 15 votes for Cedar Park, HP, and Wakeland only two of the judges did not put these three bands in their top 3, which says to me when you are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the field you will still get rewarded, It is the rest of the field where the results gets muddled because of how judges look for different things.