2019 5A State

A little surprising that McCallum missed finals when both of the other bands (Dripping Springs and Weiss) from their area made it. I wonder if there was some kind of problem with their performance in comparison to their overall very strong season that lead to a disparity in results between Area and State. Totally different contests but it's still interesting how these things happen!

A little surprising that McCallum missed finals when both of the other bands (Dripping Springs and Weiss) from their area made it. I wonder if there was some kind of problem with their performance in comparison to their overall very strong season that lead to a disparity in results between Area and State. Totally different contests but it's still interesting how these things happen!

McCallum played as well as they did at Area. Dripping and Weiss played better than they did at area. McCallum played just fine. No excuses

This is not an excuse, and I don't even know if it was a factor, but my kids (both of whom are in the Mac band) said their start was rough because the narration was so loud the band couldn't hear the pit.  This was allegedly prior to the point where scoring starts, and the feeling was they recovered, but I'm sure it created some anxiety.  At a contest like this, there's just so little margin for error and all the bands are so good I can completely see how scores flip, which doesn't even credit the other bands for killing it in their shows.  (Shoot, I don't have to imagine it -- I've been there both in marching band and in DCI Finals.  You're expecting your best run of the year, something beyond your control goes wonky, and voila!  things change in a heartbeat.  It's just the nature of the beast.)

Major props to Mac's local competition, Dripping Springs, Weiss, Cedar Park and Rouse.  Central Texas is well represented!