2019 5A State

There was an issue with a program regarding a UIL rules violation. We were unable to confirm the validity of the accusation so the posts were deleted. This, allegedly, has already been handled by the UIL and there is no impact to the contests this weekend.

Here are my predictions for who it think will qualify for state (in alphabetical order, S.A. = state alternate)

Area A (4):

Bel Air

Eastlake

El Dorado

J.M. Hanks

Eastwood (S.A.)

Area B (4):

Lebanon Trail

Lovejoy

Wakeland

Wylie East

The Colony (S.A.)

Area C (5):

Forney

Highland Park

Midlothian

Poteet

Royse City

Red Oak (S.A.)

Area D (3):

Dripping Springs

McCallum

Weiss

Pflugerville (S.A.)

Area E (2):

Foster

Friendswood

Shadow Creek (S.A.)

Area F (4):

Aledo

Birdville

Burleson Centennial

Colleyville Heritage

Southwest (S.A.)

Area G (5):

Gregory Portland

Lopez

Pioneer

Rio Grande City

Sharyland

Victoria West (S.A.)

Area H (4):

Cedar Park

McCollum

Rouse

Tom Glenn

Wagner (S.A.)

Area I (3):

College Station

Porter

Tomball

Willis (S.A.)

Yeah this is definitely what I'll go by

Edit to fix a typo

I bet Galena Park and Porter will advance to State. Tomball or Magnolia will take the third spot.  GP and Porter are far stronger than people realize.  You will be shocked at Galena Park's rendition of Mahler 2 and Porter's risk taking sound quality.  I just don't see any other bands capturing the audience and judges attention the way GP and Porter do.  Both bands are very clean and will do very well on the UIL sheet.  I would even say one of them have a shot at state finals.  Albeit a bottom 3 spot, but both of these bands are that good now.   If they don't make it this time I find it hard not to imagine one of them contending for a finals spot in 2021 as both bands are going to continue to grow in number.  Both GP and Porter were less than 100 members 4 years ago and now both are pushing 200+.  I can see how people forget either of these bands exist, especially Galena Park who didn't even make area finals in 2017.  

I personally cannot wait for the Galena Park mega crescendo from nothing into a Mahler 2 explosion on Saturday.  I have been dying to experience that again since I saw them at Katy and Galena Park Marching Festival.  It reminds me so much of the teeth knocking hit from North Shore's show last year.  I also cannot wait for the Porter wall of sound in Swan Lake.  It is just stunning.  I also hope that clarinet soloists kills it!  He/She is a great player.  I also love their visual program.  

I am also very interested to see how College Station HS will fit into all of this.  I know they will be great, but this is the first time this band has faced Galena Park, Porter, Willis and Tomball at the same contest.  Also, we cannot forget Grand Oaks and Crosby.  Both bands have potential to pull an upset!  

Those poor judges-I do not envy them!  It will be a very tough call.  I have lived in Houston for a long time and this area used to have not as good of band programs.  I still cannot believe my neck of the woods has bands that are even in the conversation at all.  Friendswood used to be the steamroller everyone didn't even bother trying to touch.  The directors at each of these schools are all fairly new to the game and all of them have turned their programs into monsters.  I gotta hand it to the directors at Porter.  When that school opened I thought there was zero hope and look at them now!  You could say the same for Galena Park and Magnolia.  Both programs have grown so fast from barely division one programs to the quality they are now over the last 2 years.  (Although Galena Park went to state in 2009, but quickly fell off the radar)  Again, I do not envy the judges in Area I.  This Area is going to be far more competitive than the state realizes.  If you are in town this weekend GO TO AREA I!!!

Tremendous feat from Willis earning 1st from all but one judge, Tomball was incredible so this was well deserved, and massive congratulations to Porter for taking their spot into state from a prelim's 5th!! I'm devastated about Galena Park, they were also incredible, unfortunately only 3 bands could qualify to advance.  

In order to break a two-way tie, UIL uses something called Judge's Preference. 

What you do here is you take the two programs that are tied and line them up by themselves.  Then, you see which program had the most judges rank them over the other program.  Whoever "wins" the most judges is awarded the higher placement. 

In this example, Porter and Galena Park were tied for the final State Qualifier spot with a total score of 18 in Finals.  When you line them up side by side, Porter won two music judges and one marching judge over Galena Park.  Because that is a majority of the judges, Porter wins the tiebreaker and advances to the State Contest.

The alternate band is usually called up. I think it's been with as little notice as a week in the past. Bands don't go just in case.

Thank you. That makes sense. I was just curious about how a band might get disqualified between now and the state contest (although I realize there can be other factors that could cause a band to be unable to attend). I appreciate the info!