2019 5A State

So UIL says that 30 - 39 bands would advance 12 bands to finals at SMC, though they didn't do that in 2017 after 6A advanced 12 in  2016.  Not sure what to expect.  

https://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/marching-band-scoring-and-advancement-procedure

That link states that with 40 or more, 14 would advance to finals. In 2016, there were 40 yet only 12 were in finals. I don't know what will be the case, but I'm leaning towards 10 being in finals this year.

I see a lot of 5A bands who traditionally are at state will be participating at SA BOA right before the State Competition. Do you think this is good or bad for bands? Will they be overstretched competing in back to back competitions of this level? 

I don't see this as a good thing, especially for State competition bands as they will have to be on their highest performance levels for multiple days. It's hard enough to do one major competition but 2???

I see a lot of 5A bands who traditionally are at state will be participating at SA BOA right before the State Competition. Do you think this is good or bad for bands? Will they be overstretched competing in back to back competitions of this level?

I don't see this as a good thing, especially for State competition bands as they will have to be on their highest performance levels for multiple days. It's hard enough to do one major competition but 2???

I believe the gap between 6A State and BOA San Antonio last year was like a couple days, it just ends up happening sometimes, and the students managed to pull it off, and I imagine they can do it this year.

I believe it could also be a good thing. Some bands have never performed in an indoor field, and that could throw some bands off. Having a performance in the alamodome could help the bands get a sense of what they will be performing in at state.

A downside could be that they might not get enough practice time before state since I believe most bands will stay in SA over the weekend. They could practice at another school, but it's not what they are used to.

I think it can be a good thing for the performers that have never performed in the Alamodome, or have only done so once. It allows them to be able to get a feel for how the stadium will sound and get a "practice" run in it before the state contest. However, it can cut into the crucial last few hours of rehearsal time they have if they choose to stay in San Antonio over the weekend.

Just so we are all on the same page for State Qualifiers:

Area A - 4
Area B - 4
Area C - 5 *** 
Area D - 3
Area E - 2 ###
Area F - 4
Area G - 5
Area H - 4
Area I - 3

*** - Although only 23 bands will be at Area C Prelims, the bands that qualify for Area and choose not to attend STILL COUNT towards the number of State Qualifiers an Area can certify.
### - Because Area E has 13 or fewer bands in Prelims, no Area Finals contest will be held.

Total State Qualifiers - 34
State Finalists - 12

Just so we are all on the same page for State Qualifiers:

Area A - 4

Area B - 4

Area C - 5 ***

Area D - 3

Area E - 2 ###

Area F - 4

Area G - 5

Area H - 4

Area I - 3

*** - Although only 23 bands will be at Area C Prelims, the bands that qualify for Area and choose not to attend STILL COUNT towards the number of State Qualifiers an Area can certify.

### - Because Area E has 13 or fewer bands in Prelims, no Area Finals contest will be held.

Total State Qualifiers - 34

State Finalists - 12

Is it for sure confirmed that there will be 12 State finalist? 2017 had 10 finalist while 35 bands were attending.

From what I can find, it looks like the rule change was made this summer by the legislative council (page 5 for area and page 7 for state). Can't find if it was actually approved by the Commissioner of Education, but I'm working under the assumption that it was.

So:

1-19: 7 in finals

20-29: 10 in finals

30-39: 12 in finals

40+: 14 in finals

Let’s say that there are 12 spots in state finals, with Roma out, who would get in that top 12 at state? I know area hasn’t happened, but any predictions?

Would love to see Colleyville Heritage make it. This is the best that band has been since like 2009. 

Let’s say that there are 12 spots in state finals, with Roma out, who would get in that top 12 at state? I know area hasn’t happened, but any predictions?

1.McAdams HS (Mississippi)

2. Collin College

3. Lovejoy HS

4. Marching Owl Band

5. Coppell Trombones

6. A bunch of hobos

7. George Hopkins and His Merry Men

8. Sentient Dr.Beat

9. Amanda Drinkwater’s dogs

10. Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra (New York)

11. Karel Husa Fan Club

12. Avon HS (Indiana)

1.McAdams HS (Mississippi)

2. Collin College

3. Lovejoy HS

4. Marching Owl Band

5. Coppell Trombones

6. A bunch of hobos

7. George Hopkins and His Merry Men

8. Sentient Dr.Beat

9. Amanda Drinkwater’s dogs

10. Avon HS (Indiana)

I'd really be on the lookout for Licking Valley, they're going to Grand Nationals and have a great shot at finals.