2019 5A State

Friendswood can't be counted out because they have done well when at this classification level in the past. However, they have lost a few major assistant directors and junior high directors and have started their decline. I'd be surprised if they performed at the level they were at from 2003-2015, when they were one of my favourite bands in the Houston area and state. Things could change for them if they find a director to whip them back into shape. 

Best 5a schools in Area B in order:

Frisco Wakeland

Frisco Lebanon Trail 

Frisco Lone Star

Mckinney North 

Frisco Centennial 

Princeton (maybe?)

Frisco Reedy

Wakeland is strong like usual but they were definitely a little off this year, maybe because 2018 was not a state year for them. Expecting them to still compete for first at Area Finals.

Yes, I realize Lebanon Trail is still really new but the sounds they produce are great. Their visual clarity is unlike any other school in Frisco. Pretty amazing that they still didn't have a senior class this year, I would not have known at first glance. Look up a video if you don't believe me.

Lone star was also downgraded from last year, by a lot, but then again 2018 wasn't a state year. Visually they were just pretty dirty, but the music was good.

Saw McKinney North at UIL and they were really present in terms of sound, could be on the edge of a breakout year.

Centennial, oh Centennial, they used to be so good. Ever since Lebanon trail opened, they have lost their freshmen and their better middle school. And then in 2017, Lebanon Trail took their assistant who was in charge of the marching band(Probably why Lebanon Trail is so good) Visually they were dirty this year, and the music was downgraded but still very present.

Princeton did well in 4a for many years but i don't know much else. They're new to 5a so that success might not continue, we will see. 

Reedy has finally established a good program after being open since 2015, excited to see them in the future.

Best 5a schools in Area B in order:

Frisco Wakeland

Frisco Lebanon Trail 

Frisco Lone Star

Mckinney North 

Frisco Centennial 

Princeton (maybe?)

Frisco Reedy

Wakeland is strong like usual but they were definitely a little off this year, maybe because 2018 was not a state year for them. Expecting them to still compete for first at Area Finals.

Yes, I realize Lebanon Trail is still really new but the sounds they produce are great. Their visual clarity is unlike any other school in Frisco. Pretty amazing that they still didn't have a senior class this year, I would not have known at first glance. Look up a video if you don't believe me.

Lone star was also downgraded from last year, by a lot, but then again 2018 wasn't a state year. Visually they were just pretty dirty, but the music was good.

Saw McKinney North at UIL and they were really present in terms of sound, could be on the edge of a breakout year.

Centennial, oh Centennial, they used to be so good. Ever since Lebanon trail opened, they have lost their freshmen and their better middle school. And then in 2017, Lebanon Trail took their assistant who was in charge of the marching band(Probably why Lebanon Trail is so good) Visually they were dirty this year, and the music was downgraded but still very present.

Princeton did well in 4a for many years but i don't know much else. They're new to 5a so that success might not continue, we will see. 

Reedy has finally established a good program after being open since 2015, excited to see them in the future.

I go to Princeton and we are all pretty nervous about next year. I thought we did pretty good this year, especially with the rain. Personally, I think we are guaranteed Area finals next year, but it will be an intense fight for those four state spots. So many deserving bands, so few spots. Who knows? Next year is our band's 50th anniversary, and with it being a state year, we might be planning something big. All I know is that the next year's 5A Area B Finals is going to be insane.

I go to Princeton and we are all pretty nervous about next year. I thought we did pretty good this year, especially with the rain. Personally, I think we are guaranteed Area finals next year, but it will be an intense fight for those four state spots. So many deserving bands, so few spots. Who knows? Next year is our band's 50th anniversary, and with it being a state year, we might be planning something big. All I know is that the next year's 5A Area B Finals is going to be insane.

good luck to you guys, and yeah you're right 5a area b finals will be a bloodbath with all the talent. 

good luck to you guys, and yeah you're right 5a area b finals will be a bloodbath with all the talent.

If I may ask, what would hold them back? I saw them at 4a state in 16 and they were very clean visually and had a MASSIVE sound. Id say they could still advance.

If I may ask, what would hold them back? I saw them at 4a state in 16 and they were very clean visually and had a MASSIVE sound. Id say they could still advance.

Another thing is that graduation this spring will hurt us. For example, we marched 32 guard this year, ELEVEN of whom are seniors. This spring won't be as bad as next spring (c/o 2020) where we will lose a LOT more people to graduation (myself included). We are going to be a young band these next few years, and that will hurt our chances at going to State, ESPECIALLY in the war zone that is 5A Area B. I've never been to State (I was at Pleasant Grove in 2016) and I'm really hoping for a State run next year, even though the chances of us going are very slim.

Here's a link to Lebanon Trail's show, just to get everyone on the hype train. This was their third marching season. You may have missed that they won the Tournament of Champions, beating Plano East. I'm proud of their progress and really excited for their future, mostly because my former percussion director works there now, and their head director did her student teaching at my high school while I was a student. 

Here's a link to Lebanon Trail's show, just to get everyone on the hype train. This was their third marching season. You may have missed that they won the Tournament of Champions, beating Plano East. I'm proud of their progress and really excited for their future, mostly because my former percussion director works there now, and their head director did her student teaching at my high school while I was a student. 

Here is a link to Princeton's show at Region this year.

Does Rouse has a shot at champion? 

Being a Rouse kid, I honestly think we could. Our biggest threats, in any competition, seem to be the people in our own district. Based off the surprising events in regards to Cedar Park at BOASA, depending on how their season goes next year, we might make it. With VanDoren's resignation during the middle of their season, and the attempt at keeping a more abstract show throughout changes could have affected them. With us continuing to get better throughout seasons, we might have a chance. Of course, it is all dependent on what next year brings for all competitive 5A bands, not just us.