2019 BOA San Antonio

This was great competition with one exception...so many performers tripping and/or falling during shows, Finals included. I counted a total 9 falls and numerous trips without a fall, and I only attended one prelim block plus finals. I have a couple questions that I hope someone here can answer -

1) Does a fall normally result in point deductions? If so, were exceptions made this weekend?

2) I have only been a BOA spectator/parent for a couple of years, I don't recall ever seeing a performer fall at any event. Does BOA have any commentary on the Alamodome turf issue?

In some previous contests I’ve been to they reward recovery

This was great competition with one exception...so many performers tripping and/or falling during shows, Finals included. I counted a total 9 falls and numerous trips without a fall, and I only attended one prelim block plus finals. I have a couple questions that I hope someone here can answer -

1) Does a fall normally result in point deductions? If so, were exceptions made this weekend?

2) I have only been a BOA spectator/parent for a couple of years, I don't recall ever seeing a performer fall at any event. Does BOA have any commentary on the Alamodome turf issue?

1) Of course it does, especially if it has a larger ripple impact that reduces the effectiveness of the visual program, or potentially the music program. Also on the BOA sheets there is an evaluation on how performers recover from errors (such as falling) that can mitigate the issue.

2) Falls happen fairly often for many reasons (I'm looking at you tarps!). It is harder to see with a larger ensemble, especially if they recover well (see point 1 above). I think it was Flower Mound that had a sousaphone front and center fall going into their last set at finals Saturday night. I noticed it, but the person beside me did not. So it really depends on where you are looking at the time.

2) Falls happen fairly often for many reasons (I'm looking at you tarps!). It is harder to see with a larger ensemble, especially if they recover well (see point 1 above). I think it was Flower Mound that had a sousaphone front and center fall going into their last set at finals Saturday night. I noticed it, but the person beside me did not. So it really depends on where you are looking at the time.

I felt really bad for that FM member. They were featured right at that moment and it was their final moment in competition for the entire year. There were dozens of falls though so it was definitely a problem. Some would have been almost comical if I wasn't worried about the performer getting hurt.

I felt really bad for that FM member. They were featured right at that moment and it was their final moment in competition for the entire year. There were dozens of falls though so it was definitely a problem. Some would have been almost comical if I wasn't worried about the performer getting hurt.

Yeah, that one worried me quite a bit. It can't feel good to fall on one of those things. After thinking about the performer, what about the instrument? There were more falls this year than usual, and the turf was probably the issue from the info we have. It was almost like the good ole days when we marched on a grass field the day after Friday football.... :huh:

I know we've gushed about Reagan plenty here, but I've been watching "not" Reagan videos on repeat the last few days, and now I WANT TO GUSH ABOUT IT MORE! This show has something for everyone. Particularly, the part after the ballad where the character gets led through the circles and the ostinato develops around them might be one of the most effective marching band moments I've ever seen. This is CLASSIC early 2000's Reagan, and I can't get enough of it. It's just darn good design and it is the perfect integration of musical/visual story telling. The drill as a whole is fantastic, and the recurring visual and musical motifs really tie the whole thing together beautifully. I can't wait to see what kind of impact this show has on the activity in years to come, because it feels era defining to me.

This show is going right up on the mantle for top high school shows of the decade for me, right next to (and maybe on top of) FM '16 and Woodlands '13...Guess I can't wait for what 2022 has in store...

What keeps blowing my mind is that THESE ARE HIGH SCHOOL KIDS!!!!!

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I was in marching band many (many, many, many....many) years ago.  Usually, folks my age have a syndrome called "the older we get, the better we were". 

That simply does not apply to marching band.  I watch these kids and marvel at their talent and I'm not afraid to admit that they run circle after circle after circle around what we old-timers did back in the

day.

me too - I was in marching band 35 years years ago - i am noit sure I could do these shows if I was 35 years younger - not just the drill, but the music book is insane

Keller - They are daredevils doing a show that hard, they are just flying while playing some really difficult music that whole show. Their brass has really formed a noticeable approach and achievement level the last few years, and that was no less prevalent this year. The features in Ostinato were TIGHT. Their closer was especially wild, the drill was so hard and was perfectly matched by the music, the glissandos in the trombones on top of all that were just so fun. Loving that they have maintained a high level of success.

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Keller, undeniably being Keller.

Thank you for recognizing them for staying true to who they are. Fearless!