2019 BOA San Antonio

Every band last night made it as far as they did due to hard work and a will to better themselves. To disparage any for being “complacent” is out of line.

I don’t think Flower Mound was complacent, I think the competition was just tight this year. Some of the scores going all the way down the list don’t make sense to me, the judging was much different in some captions than last year.

First of all congratulations to all the bands. So much hard work, so much dedication to the marching arts- the students are all just so amazing, it makes me so proud to be part of this activity.

Just some comments. And none of this is meant to take away from anything any of the bands have achieved. These are comments about the process and not the performances, because truly they were spectacular and every band that made it to finals deserved to be there.

The results in the top would probably remain the same (with some minor movement), no matter what you did to the scoring system. However, it is not only about the bands in the top. It is about the thousands of kids who've put their blood, sweat and tears into the program and deserve to be judged equally (and I am saying equally. I am not saying fairly, because I believe the judges try to be fair within their panels. Equally, as in the same judges judge all the bands). Judging 84 bands with a two panel system is like having two different contests and then comparing scores- and how often have we said that we cannot compare scores across contests. I know there is a chief judge who is trying to make panels equal but it seems pretty clear that one panel was judged marginally higher than another, and even marginal differences can make a difference when the scores are so close. I don't know what the solution is but I do know that 84 bands is just too many. Adding semis, Prelims at two different venues, regional contests being used as a prelim to get to san antonio, different contests for class 1A/2A and 3A/4A like UIL does, take top 10 from each panel and give panel awards instead of grouping the panels.... although none of these solutions will be perfect, each has some merit and deserves to be discussed. Saying it will be logistically impossible or saying it is what it is, or saying the results would not change, is doing a disservice to the activity. Yes the results would likely be the same, possibly even the rankings would be similar, but the process needs to be evaluated and overhauled if necessary.

Once again, this is about the process, it is not taking away from any band or their performances.

There was a lot to take in from this contest, especially for me personally. I can firmly say that I am really proud of our band for making 8th and what I believe is the highest score we've gotten here in the last 4 years? I'm not completely sure. Congratulations to all the bands that made finals (especially Pearland and RR) and a great job by everyone that participated in the contest. Typically I'd be against participation awards but here when there's so many good bands that don't get recognized at finals it is almost necessary. It kinda sucks to see bands like Coppell and Cedar Ridge miss out on finals. I really liked both of their shows. I've still got some mad respect for Cedar Park after that video of them finishing their show without being able to see a thing thanks to a powet outage.

I can't tell y'all how ecstatic I am about finally beating Flower Mound after losing to them every single year. I'm sure they felt pretty bad about getting 9th following their amazing achievements these past 4 years but there's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of when you're at a competition like this. Nothing about that score or ranking takes anything away from their show, performance, or hard work they spent to get there.

Looking at the scores... Prelims is a complete mess. Scoring is so all over the place but that's been the case at every competition this year so I'm not really surprised. I always find it interesting to see how judges tend to agree more in finals than prelims, namely Reagan's jump from 7th in music in prelims to 2nd in finals. That's not to say that they didn't deserve it. It was well earned and having watched their show a few times I agree with it. I'm still a bit shocked by how "low" Hebron placed musically (quotations cause 5th is not low by any means) simply because of how difficult it is. I don't think there will ever be a band that can play anything as challenging as that and make it sound THAT good. Congrats to Vista Ridge for getting 3rd, though I can't say I agree with it entirely. I got to see them live and personally I thought they were pretty dirty. What they were doing was really cool and looked really hard, but I saw quite a lot of mistakes (or at least what I thought were mistakes) visually which makes me wonder about their individual visual placement. Maybe it's because I haven't really seen many bands live that I disagree with the judges there. Otherwise spectacular performance and still deserving of 3rd overall.

That's just about all my thoughts put down. Good luck to team Texas at GN in two weeks, I hope we all see each other at finals!

Hebron’s music placements don’t surprise me. As challenging as a show as they have, covering the field from endzone to endzone most sets, and with the insane music depth they have, they have many timing issues. There were points where time was nonexistent and although they didn’t tear, it wasn’t tight at all. They are phenomenal and probably the best sounding and most technically advanced band around right now, but none of that means anything if time isn’t there. Good news for Hebron is that it’s easily correctable with 2 weeks time and will help their music score and GE score exponentially.

I will say this. Music For All continues to accept entries into grand nationals. With enough money and cards played right. It could happen. Unlikely. Unlikely unlikely but it’s an option that’s there.

I know the supports there. But is is going to happen? Unlikely. But the door is open. I throw my money to a GoFundMe to help it happen. If it does happen. We see a ninety eight.

I will say this. Music For All continues to accept entries into grand nationals. With enough money and cards played right. It could happen. Unlikely. Unlikely unlikely but it’s an option that’s there.

I know the supports there. But is is going to happen? Unlikely. But the door is open. I throw my money to a GoFundMe to help it happen. If it does happen. We see a ninety eight.

I wish, but even with the money that seems like nightmare logistics at this point.