2019 BOA San Antonio

When's the last time a band missed a normal regional finals but made San Antonio?

The only bands to ever make finals at SA after missing at a regional are RR (Austin 2019), VR (Austin 2014), Plano East (Denton 2012), Aledo (Arlington 2010), Ronald Reagan (Arlington 2009), Leander (Arlington 2008 & 2009), Hebron (Arlington 2005 & 2007), Brazoswood (Pearland 2007), Coppell (Arlington 2005), and Lake Highlands (Arlington 2004).

Of these, only Aledo (15th -> 14th) and Lake Highlands (17th -> 13th) improved on their placement from the regional to SA.

So basically, it used to be fairly common, but it’s become a lot more difficult in the past 5-10 years or so.

Feel free to let me know if I missed anyone! Knowing me I probably did

For anyone watching this competition for the first time - especially from out of state - may be wondering why this super regional is hyped so much up until Keller performed. After that, it is very clear why the finals here is so damned hard to make. Many good bands will not make this finals and honestly, it's not a loss for them at all. There are just not enough finals spots to accommodate the large group of fine bands at this show. I don't even have a dog in this hunt and I am still nervous as heck watching it!

You were spot on with this. Keller gave the first “finalist” performance of the competition. Way too many deserving bands.

I know about logistics! But to heck! I want semifinals!

I wish I could’ve seen that big bright pink bridge from Rouse at least once more! Heard Oak Ridges moving ballad again! Heard Lake Travis’ walk on those stairs just another time! Seen Vista Muriettas visual prowess again! Watched what Icarus would’ve done with a do-over with Cedar Park! Seen Westlake knock on opportunity’s door again! Got to see Cedar Ridge score another checkmate! Seen Timber Creeks homage to the newspaper again! Got to be moved with John B. Alexander at least once more! Fall in love all over again with James E.Taylor! Learn to understand New Realism with Coppell again! I want to see Westwood’s snowman again! I want to hear them being jolly to the Dome once more! I want semi-finals! I want to see these bands again! They deserve another performance!

All of this! Please! Especially Oak Ridge’s ballad!

So why are so many people screaming Round Rock! Congrats to them and all the bands that made the finals. Also congrats and thank you to all the bands that didn't make finals.

Several reasons: missed out on finals in Austin regional (2019) and not making finals in San Antonio (2017 and 2018). They had been a perennial finalist in the past