2019 BOA San Antonio

Greetings everyone! I’ve been lurking in the sidelines following everyone’s comments and the topic of band fees is a subject that is near and dear to me, having spent 12 years as the President of the Vista Murrieta boosters. To put things in perspective, in Calif it’s illegal to charge any band fees or fees for travel, plus there is almost no funding from the schools or districts. Plus, all staff except the Director, is paid by the boosters. So when you see a Vista Murrieta or Ayala (for the most part the only two bands in the state that travel) 100% of their operating costs (travel, music, instruments, uniforms, staff, etc) are covered by donations and fundraising. Just a trip to GN or San Antonio is a $275,000 expense, plus normal operating costs.

For us, trips like this are all about providing our kids with positive life experiences, and we couldn’t be more impressed with the wonderful hospitality of everyone in San Antonio! Thank you!!!

Glad to have you in TX! Vista Murrieta's performance was really unique, and I genuinely hope they make finals tonight. Ya'll certainly have the chops to!

Going to be very difficult to place all the bands...I'll take a shot at some groupings. All of the gaps between the groupings are going to be pretty small.

Ronald Reagan

Flower Mound

--------------------

Vandegrift

Hebron

Leander

--------------------

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Vista Ridge

The Woodlands

Marcus

--------------------

Keller

Bowie

Coppell

LD Bell

--------------------  <----- this gap is probably a centimeter wide

Cedar Park

Cedar Ridge

Westwood

Westlake

Rouse

Have probably forgotten some bands, but these are my general bubbles for rankings.

Greetings everyone! I’ve been lurking in the sidelines following everyone’s comments and the topic of band fees is a subject that is near and dear to me, having spent 12 years as the President of the Vista Murrieta boosters. To put things in perspective, in Calif it’s illegal to charge any band fees or fees for travel, plus there is almost no funding from the schools or districts. Plus, all staff except the Director, is paid by the boosters. So when you see a Vista Murrieta or Ayala (for the most part the only two bands in the state that travel) 100% of their operating costs (travel, music, instruments, uniforms, staff, etc) are covered by donations and fundraising. Just a trip to GN or San Antonio is a $275,000 expense, plus normal operating costs.

For us, trips like this are all about providing our kids with positive life experiences, and we couldn’t be more impressed with the wonderful hospitality of everyone in San Antonio! Thank you!!!

First, welcome to Texas, and I'm so glad you made the trip!  

I have three kids that went thru, or are going thru the music programs here in Texas.   The first meeting when I found out about the band fees, I was overwhelmed!   But then I realized that the experience was priceless! 

I grew up Wisconsin, and came from a very good music program there.  We often had the most, or close to the most kids make it to the State Honors band.  Now, due to lack of funding, and parent involvement, that band is almost

non-existent today, which is very hard to see.  So I can really appreciate all that our education system and band boosters do for us here.   

Thank you for your involvement in your bands program and for helping those kids have an experience they will never forget!  

Here’s my list that’s probably wrong. Think there’s a solid top 10, and then a huge bubble to fill the last 4 spots.

Reagan

FloMo

Vandy

Hebron

Leander

CTJ

TWHS

Marcus

Vista Ridge

Keller

James Bowie

Vista Murrieta

LD Bell

Coppell

———————

Cedar Park

Westlake

Westwood

Cedar Ridge

Pearland

Rouse

Basically any of the bubble can replace the ones in 11-14. But I’m confident on the top 10...if any miss, I would be very surprised to say the least.

This is so hard. So many good bands, and we thought 2017 was tough to make it in. SA keeps getting stiffer every single year. This Super Regional needs a Semifinals. Where is the petition? Here’s my best shot. Probably very wrong.

Ronald Reagan

Flower Mound

-

Vandegrift

Hebron

Leander

-

The Woodlands

Vista Ridge

Claudia Taylor Johnson

-

Marcus

Keller

Vista Murrieta

James Bowie

LD Bell

Coppell

———————

Too many great bands. It’s unbelievable. They all deserve a second performance. These are *a few* at the top of my head that stood out to me that could’ve made the top 20.

Cedar Ridge

Westlake

Cedar Park

Prosper

Westwood

Wakeland

James E Taylor

Clear Brook

Round Rock

Keller Central

Lake Travis

Oak Ridge