2019 BOA San Antonio

It’s been almost one year since I last posted on here but I’ve been silently following this topic through my e-mail :) Just got to San Antonio yesterday, spent the rest of the day walking around the city, and now I’m ready for a great day of watching marching bands!! Cy-Fair (my alma mater) did amazing considering our change in direction this past year! Please feel free to let me know what y’all thought of them :)

And this is coming from an old dude. I've been doing this marching band thing for over 50 years. I've seen a lot of changes and hate to see something as insignificant as a time penalty at Region keep someone from their chance to make State. It's not like when you get a time penalty at BOA and that keeps you out of the finals. If you're on the bubble in the prelims, that is ultimately what kept you from making finals, but getting off late at region keeping you from going to Area is ridiculous.

I find this a really stupid comment. FYI, if you were following the UIL Music program web site a couple of years ago, it was decided that the time limit had to be enforced because many of the Bands that had large items to get off the field were consistently going over time because the Directors felt that UIL would never enforce this rule. As you might be aware, last year the Biggest Band in the State of TX was rightly penalized because they did not plan how to get all the performers and props off the field after 8 minutes. Interestingly enough, the folks at Allen did not complain about this. Being late off the field is a direct fault of the Directors of the Bands in Question, who cannot plan their show well enough. Further it seems that many folks in the Thread love to critique UIL for just about everything. I saw someone say that it was the old men at UIL who are the problem. Wrong answer. BOA schools are less than 15%of the UIL and have been consistently that number of schools over the years. I live in a School district that choose Orchestra funding over the cost of entering our Marching Bands in BOA events. Those of us in the music field felt this was a better use of our funds. Many other school districts also have choosen not to do BOA. I have no problem with Bands that do BOA, I Just wish that some of their fans knew more about why the rest of us have decided not to go that route instead of trying to make us like you folks in rules and ways of doing things. Also in regard to old men, today 6 of the 32 HS Bands at NAMMB Contest(Military Marching) are lead by Female Senior Directors. What is the percentage of senior directors of the BOA Bands that have Female Senior Directors. I think BOA does many good things, why not talk about that and stop ******** about the rest of us. Also the NAMMB contest is being streamed free of charge.

From a very strong middle school program that works with the High School band directors.  All the LISD schools work like this.

Yep.  It's like a farm program.  To my amazement, they strongly encourage kids starting in 6th grade to take private lessons.  They line up the instructors and steer kids to them, carving out time during normal rehearsal or before/after school.  Rates are fixed by the district based - typically about $20-$25 per half hour (not bad consider I pay $38 for half hour of piano lessons).  The curriculum is coordinated with the directors.  

As far as I know, they don't do any actual marching performance in middle school.  There's a middle school night, but it is stand and play.  Around April or May they start inviting the middle school kids to practice with the high school kids in after school "camps."  All that helps build excitement.  I remember because my Class'19 graduate came home from a camp really energized about joining the band.

Maybe other districts do the same.