2019 BOA San Antonio

CTJ was great! But I can’t help myself from comparing them to Reagan. Reagan accomplishes SO MUCH with no bells and whistles. CTJ will do just fine here but Regan easily has the more engaging and well performed show. I felt that the show was missing some bigger moments that CTJ is known for? I think I was expecting more energy?? Idk still a fantastic production!

I didn't know you could amplify the ensemble, thought it was just soloists and small groups that could be mic'd. Does it strike you as unfair or does it just sound bad?

it’s been a pretty big debate in the dci world for the past few years. i dont follow hs marching band nearly as closely so i guess i didnt realize top hs groups were doing it too. it’s not necessarily unfair, but it is an extremely direct way of showing how money can quite literally buy you a better sound. im eh about it for dci, cause it seems that most if not all world class corps use them now, but the vast majority of hs cannot afford to keep up with the electronics arms race.

I agree CTJ is amazing they are one of the best bands in the country, but perhaps they need a little revamp. They have been performing shows like this since Chameleon and their 2017 show is possibly their best ever. Hopefully, they do well at nationals but even there I don't see them getting past cleaner groups.

I’ve been saying this all season, but there’s a lot of danger in trying to recapture magic by doing a sequel show. CTJ 2017 is one of the best modern shows ever so it’s hard to imagine that anything would be able to top it. I will say, today CTJ brought a lot of depth in emotion that I’m not used to from them! I think I want to see them explore that more in the future. Easy top half lock and will likely challenge for a medal, but we’ll see!

I don’t like mics for anything but the soloist.

However, if there isn’t a rule against it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah, i’m all for capitalizing on there not being rules against certain things - it’s what makes BOA shows tend to be more creative and out of the box than their UIL counterparts. well, that and the different sheets. but i just cant get behind a band spending thousands on electronic equipment with no other purpose than to give them a leg up on sound production and control than other groups. and that’s not to take anything away from CTJ, at ALL. theyve had arguably the most successful program in recent memory in the Texas BOA circuit. just not a fan of the shotgun mics.

also im sure CTJ isnt the only group using them today or tomorrow. just the first that caught my eye, probably because the pit isnt there in the front to visually block me from seeing the mics.

Wait, how do we even know they were amp mics... doesn't BOA (and DCI) use recording mics? I don't know, I'm not there and don't have 150 bucks to give Flomarching

For anyone watching this competition for the first time - especially from out of state - may be wondering why this super regional is hyped so much up until Keller performed. After that, it is very clear why the finals here is so damned hard to make. Many good bands will not make this finals and honestly, it's not a loss for them at all. There are just not enough finals spots to accommodate the large group of fine bands at this show. I don't even have a dog in this hunt and I am still nervous as heck watching it!

Alrighty. I started watching during the last couple of minutes of John B. Alexander's show. Unfortunately, I think I probably caught the weakest part of their show. It seemed like a bit of a hot mess to my eyes.

I thought Keller was much improved from the last regional they attended. Their music is still a lot more effective to me than their visual, and the closer is still a little bit dirty, but they should be in finals for sure.

Hendrickson was a bit of disappointment. I just think there was too much emphasis on the vocalist and not enough on the band. And the performance just wasn't anywhere near as polished as I'm used to seeing from them. I like that they're trying new things, though. I liked the fun, little 70s-style room with the couch.

Bowie has such an odd, but interesting show. I think it's a little hard to get into, but I really like the visual package, even if I don't fully understand what's going on at all times. The performance was solid. I think the guard was a little bit weaker than I was expecting, but they're doing some very difficult things. I actually think I'd have Keller ahead of Bowie here on the strength of music, despite what happened a week ago, and despite Bowie's superior visual performance.

Reagan has a show with lots of really big, really effective moments. It's not a perfect performance, but you don't need a perfect performance to win this contest. The dance team is a great addition as always. They PERFORM from head to toe, as does that wonderful dancing band member. My favorite part of this show starts with the intro to the ballad, the part with the groovy percussion. Everything is just so much more interesting after that point. There's still a bit too much of the stopping and starting back up in the music, but it's a minor annoyance. I like that they continue to develop their visual program, while remaining true to the good old-fashioned marching and playing style they've developed over the past few years with Dan Morrison's arrival. I love that Guidry has returned. It's like a blast from the past, but he still manages to keep things fresh. My hope for next year is that Reagan continues to develop their visual style, because even though I don't think this year's show is a national championship quality show, I think they're very close to it. They are performing better than they've ever performed, and if they can combine that with a show like they had in 2005 (when they were robbed at Nationals), the sky is the limit.

I just love Clear Brook's siren show. It's very reminiscent of LD Bell's 2013 production, which I also enjoyed, even if it marked the gradual decline of that group. Was that a guard girl stabbing a band member with a spear at the end? I was chuckling watching it on high cam. I'm not sure this group will be in finals, but they're definitely on my radar in a way they weren't last year.

CTJ's show is, oh, only about a billion times cleaner than it was at Austin. So much better. SO MUCH better, oh my gosh. I think the most striking thing to me about this show compared to other CTJ shows is how much softer they seem to be playing throughout the show (despite all those shotgun mics). Yeah, you've still got all those massive power-chord moments, but there are lots of parts that struck me as mezzo piano. I wonder if they were really trying to underscore dynamic contrast this year, which is always a good thing to do, but maybe it took away from the energy of the performance a little bit. The show is probably the most difficult one in the contest, and they perform it well, but there's still significant dirt. I think the I Just Can't Wait to Be King part is my least favorite. I'm just not a huge fan of the parking and jamming stuff in general, and it seemed like a missed opportunity visually. In contrast, I really like the Imagine movement, even if it's a little misplaced. Anyway, I think they're good for the top half, maybe even the top 5, but I don't think it will challenge for the very top here or at Nationals. As somebody already mentioned, I'm beginning to get the feeling that CTJ is doing similar things each year, and it might be a good time to start branching out. Of course, this year, that feeling wasn't helped by the performing of music from 2017, but, honestly, it really wasn't as big of an issue as I thought it might be.

JBA maybe one of the most emotional and well put together shows I have ever seen. It would make me so happy to see the show again in finals. So much going on that I probably missed some things. I want to agree w the person who said to check out their show last year too just watched it the other day and it’s on the same level. I think they won a regional this year?

Reagan what a beastly band! Best show from them since 2014. So much band visuals on top big big sound. Precision is strong guard is huge and makes oceans of color. So favorable in every category I am sure! Easy to see why they have been taking home the gold at all the contests they went to and they might tomorrow!

CTJ is the most improved band all year from seeing them on stream. They have some visual dirt still to clean but they have plenty of time before grand nats so they will get better. Not my favorite kind of show but they do everything so well that it makes you love them and easy to see them in finals as usual.

Rubisco- in Clear Brook's show, one of the Sirens (a guard member) uses the trident at the end to stab the person who stole from them. Interestingly enough, that wasnt just a band member, but actually one of the drum majors who came down from his post to play that character.

ah, the old phantom regiment brutally-kill-the-drum-major tactic.