2019 BOA San Antonio

predictions:

1. Ronald Reagan - What a beast of a show

2. Flower Mound - Slightly ahead of 3rd

3. Vandegrift - How can you not like this show!?

4. CTJ - THE LION KING!

5. Hebron- musicianship carries them

6. Leander- one of my favorite shows of the year-much like BAC this past summer. Very fun show just nothing to impress the judges too much

7. Vista Ridge - DRUMLINE! One of the best in TX

8. TWHS- Seem to have cleaned ALOT between Houston and now

9. Marcus - Haven’t seen em but heard good things

10. L.D. Bell - 3rd at St. Louis in a very competitive lineup

11. Bowie - won Waco

12. Westwood - came close to TW at Houston, and I know shows develop at different rates, but this is another one of my favorites! I love this show this year!!!!!!

13. Keller - show concept isn’t hard to get, but it’s one of those abstract ones

14. Cedar Park - Come on, somebody’s got to make finals doing it “the UIL way”

So I plan on buying tickets at the box office. Does general admission only include sections 107-117? Or is 306-319 also available for GA prelims? Just trying to plan my seating arrangement. Super excited to attend for the third year in a row and wish the best for all ensembles!!

Typically the upper deck (300 level) is not open for prelims.  Sometimes it is opened when the lower bowl fills up for Drum Major retreat on Saturday afternoon when all the bands start coming in for announcements.

Time to make a prediction as followed by my post on the predictions page(this time with an explanation included)

1. CTJ- you guys may be wondering why Reagan isn’t in this spot as much as I think they can take it like we all do it’s not guaranteed but I know CTJ I haven’t seen a video of them unfortunately but I know they’ve made good progress and usually peak late Season from what I understand looking forward to seeing it as soon as I can!

2. Vista Ridge- they really peaked last year late season and I bet they can do it again with the right performance Reagan could end up here too though and probably will but I’m not counting out Vista Ridge

3. Flower Mound- they have a great show I saw on YouTube and love it! Can see them medaling here again if not winning

4. Hebron- they have a really good show and really good music as well I just recently saw it and enjoyed it a lot they have great music and if they don’t medal I’m sure they’ll come close

5. Ronald Reagan- Ok this definitely is the lowest they’ll place it was a bit hard to predict there is a part of me that thinks they can win but it won’t be too easy they can get a caption if they have made progress will definitely love to see how they are now their show is incredible!!

6. The Woodlands- Their show is super enjoyable and I love it a lot! They totally can be in the top 7 again they seem to be having a fantastic year and I’m excited for them

7. Leander- their show is really good they can definitely peak late in the season I love the concept and I believe they have totally made progress

8. Vandegrift- I enjoy their show but I’m not so sure how they’re doing and how they will do based upon progress of other bands but I expect them to do very well and at least come close to top 7 or even top 5

9. Marcus- they definitely are having a great year as I haven’t seen their show I know it more or less and am sure they can be top 10 definitely

10. Cedar Park- I know they have progressed through the season and I can see them being back into finals this year I look forward to them as well

11. LD Bell- don’t know much about them but I believe they’re doing great again this year and totally can be in finals

12. James Bowie- I know they have a really fantastic show wish I could see it somewhere but they can return to finals again I look forward to seeing where they go!

13. Westwood- Their show is great! They are clearly having a great year especially at BOA Houston they proved anything is possible I can see them being finals they deserve it! I wish them the best of luck!!

14. Oak Ridge- May seem like I’m biased but I think with the right show and mindset we can make it into finals definitely be on the lookout for us I am happy for how far we are coming and look forward to marching my last contest!! I PROMISE you won’t be disappointed Saturday at 11:15 AM!

Music- Hebron - they have great music doesn’t at all surprise me I can see them taking it

Visual- CTJ - They are usually clean to my understanding if Regan doesn’t win this I can see CTJ taking it

GE(tie)- CTJ/Flower Mound - they both have amazing concepts and this wouldn’t surprise me in prelims at least but Reagan can shoot right up if they don’t win prelims wishing them the best of luck along with everyone

15- Cedar Ridge - I know of their show but haven’t seen it hoping they do very well

16- Keller - they have a great show and can make it but there has been a lot of progress so far wishing them luck if they don’t make it they’ll be close

17-Westlake - had a great run at Houston don’t know too much of what they’re up to now but they can be in finals again with the right show I’ll root for them

18-Coppell - definitely having a great season haven’t watched their show but they’re usually good and will have a good showing here

19-Timber Creek - they’ve had staff changes and I’m not sure how they currently are now but I bet they’ll be strong at this contest

20/21-Clear Brook/Rouse - had a hard time figuring this out but they’ve both had great a great season I’m not too sure if this will be their year hoping they do great I think they’ll be close

22/28-Prosper/Cy Fair/JET/Hendrickson/North Shore/Vista Murrieta/Pearland - as you can see it was hard to figure out where they’d land I know they’ve had pretty good seasons this year they will be close if not in

Well regardless of where I predicted anyone anything can happen and I wish all of y’all the best of luck and I look forward to this contest!!! It’s been a great season for sure!

Reagan in 5th is certainly a very bold pick

Here's the final block of the Saturday, posting it now because I go out of town this weekend. Bummed I couldn't go or even watch it on stream, but this weekend is going to be fun for me as it is a retreat with my college band. Now for the bands!

12:45 Friendswood (Friendswood ISD, Friendswood) AAA
Friendswood, after a director change and a drop in enrollment down to 5A, is smaller than they used to be but still a fantastic group. They are going to 5A state this year where they will be a finalist contender. 

1:00 Wylie (Wylie ISD, Wylie) AAAA
Before their top 25 placement in 2017, many people (including myself) had never heard of Wylie. Their show this year reminds me a lot of their 2017 show and I think they have very similar potential.

1:15 Granbury (Granbury ISD, Granbury) AAA
Granbury burst onto the BOA scene last fall when they made finals at Midland and they did the same this past fall on a more competitive field. They are also the state alternates of a very competitive Area F and will put on a strong performance on Saturday. 

1:30 College Park (Conroe ISD, The Woodlands) AAAA
College Park seems to be having a weaker year for their standards based on scores that I’ve seen, but that doesn’t change the fact that I think they will do fantastically here at San Antonio to end their season on a high note.

1:45 James E. Taylor (Katy ISD, Katy) AAAA
JET is going on their second consecutive year of being a BOA Houston finalist and for good reason. JET is a fantastic program and always put on a strong show at BOA San Antonio.

2:00 Dawson (Pearland ISD, Pearland) AAAA
Dawson just jumped back into the BOA scene after a few years and they had a good showing at BOA Houston. Excited to see this show at some point because they’ve consistently been scoring incredibly well in GE all season.

2:30 Prosper (Prosper ISD, Prosper) AAAA
Since their surprising 13th place prelims finish at BOA DFW, Prosper has cleaned their show a lot and are going to place very comfortably in the top 30. When I saw them at Duncanville, I was very impressed with the sound that they produce.

2:45 North Shore (Galena Park ISD, Houston) AAAA
North Shore is one of my favorite Houston-area bands because of their incredible full ensemble sound (which I believe is best represented by their opening hit in 2018), they will definitely put their names on the BOA radar after Saturday and I hope they continue to participate.

3:00 L.D. Bell (Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD, Hurst) AAAA
L.D. Bell has been very in-and-out of finals the past few years, but they seem to be very strong this year based on their recent STL performance and results. While not a lock, they are a very safe bet for finalist.

3:15 Aledo (Aledo ISD, Aledo) AAA
Aledo is another incredible Area F group in this block, and they will be attending state. They’ve consistently stayed in state finals for many years and are even a former BOA San Antonio finalist. 

And also, my final predictions now that I've had a lot of time to think about it:

1) Ronald Reagan

2) Flower Mound

3) Hebron

4) Vandegrift

5) Claudia Taylor Johnson

6) Leander

7) Marcus

8) Vista Ridge

9) Keller

10) The Woodlands

11) L.D. Bell

12) James Bowie