2019 BOA San Antonio

Locks would be CTJ, Reagan, Vandy, Leander, Vista Ridge, FloMo, Hebron, and The Woodlands. Probably 20 bands realistically competing for final 6. Westlake, Lake Travis, Bowie, Cedar Ridge, Keller, Cedar Park, Rouse, LD Bell, Prosper, Marcus, Coppell, Timber Creek, Waxahachie, James Martin, North Shore, Pearland, Round Rock, Westwood, Wakeland

James Martin and Waxahachie aren't attending. I would also throw Vista Murrietta into the mix.

Now for the next Saturday block!

9:45 The Woodlands (Conroe ISD, The Woodlands) AAAA
While many people were underwhelmed by their BOA Houston score, TWHS appears to have done significant cleaning since then. They are a solid contender for the top half and more or less a lock for finals.

10:00 Roma (Roma ISD, Roma) AAA
It’s been talked about to no end, so I don’t want to dwell on Roma’s UIL fiasco. This will likely be their last time performing this show and they are absolutely incredible. Excited to see if they can jump back into the top 40 this year.

10:15 Plano East (Plano ISD, Plano) AAAA
Plano East has not competed in BOA at all this season so it’s hard to see exactly where they’ll place with everyone else. But they are always a very solid program and should not have an issue with place in the top 60 this year, maybe even pushing the 40s or 30s.

10:30 Pioneer (Sharyland ISD, Mission) AA
Pioneer is another contender for the class AA title with one already under their belt from the McAllen regional. Pioneer’s show took them to state once again and it has a lot of potential in the BOA realm as well.

10:45 Hidalgo (Hidalgo ISD, Hidalgo) AA
Hidalgo is a contender for a class AA medal, but I don’t see them being able to break Pioneer or Forney (or Weiss and Tom Glenn if they remain AA). Regardless, Hidalgo is one of the most consistent 4A groups in Texas and are a must-see if you want to learn more about the smaller bands in Texas.

11:00 Cy-Fair (Cypress Fairbanks ISD, Cypress) AAAA
After dropping from 5th in 2018 to 13th in 2019 at the Houston regional, Cy-Fair definitely seems to be fighting an uphill battle with their staff changes. Regardless, they still have a very enjoyable and “Cy-Fair” show with their woodwinds being incredible as usual. Hoping to see a bit more body movement in the holds as I remember their being a lot of “park and bark” in early October. 

11:15 Oak Ridge (Conroe ISD, Conroe) AAAA
Oak Ridge returned to finals at Houston once again, but with a smaller group than usual due to the new CISD school that just opened a few years ago. They have a great show and are still performing excellently, so they should easily be top 40 or 30 this weekend. 

12:00 Wakeland (Frisco ISD, Frisco) AAA
Wakeland is having a fantastic year, one of their best since 2014-2015. Wakeland could be an upset for a class AAA medal and even has a chance at making finals. They will be at the 5A state marching contest once again this year. 

I'm driving over this evening with the youngest child. We'll be there pretty much all day tomorrow. I did get the expensive tickets (suites), so I would have to come out to visit, which I'm certainly willing to do. Actually I have to in order to get my Team Texas shirt....

Drive safe!  It will be another "working" weekend; performing my usual pit crew duties (manning the generator).  Enjoy all of the great performances!  I will look forward to your thoughts during and afterward.  

I'll need to get you your sailors cap before Indy!

all butts will be in the stands at that time

3:15 p.m. – James Bowie H.S., TX

3:30 p.m. – Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

3:45 p.m. – Clear Brook H.S., TX

4:00 p.m. – Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

4:15 p.m. – BREAK

4:30 p.m. – Palmview H.S., TX

4:45 p.m. – Pflugerville H.S., TX

5:00 p.m. – Vandegrift H.S., TX

5:15 p.m. – Leander H.S., TX

5:30 p.m. – Vista Ridge H.S., TX

5:45 p.m. – McNeil H.S., TX

6:00 p.m. – Cedar Park H.S., TX

Dont forget Keller at 2:45!!

I'm driving over this evening with the youngest child. We'll be there pretty much all day tomorrow. I did get the expensive tickets (suites), so I would have to come out to visit, which I'm certainly willing to do. Actually I have to in order to get my Team Texas shirt....

will try to come and meet you during a break from my field job - 

Drive safe!  It will be another "working" weekend; performing my usual pit crew duties (manning the generator).  Enjoy all of the great performances!  I will look forward to your thoughts during and afterward.  

I'll need to get you your sailors cap before Indy!

That would be awesome! Take care and I'll be happy to share my thoughts!

Question for those that know. If your band makes finals, is it the usual stampede to get in line for finals? How does that all work?

You have two choices.  Option A is as you described above with lines forming right after announcements and the stampede begins thereafter.  Option B (which I prefer) is to buy reserved seats in the upper deck for finals.  This allows us to go to the Riverwalk for dinner and stroll back to our seats in time for the first band.  Depending on your situation and seating preference, those are the main two choices.

Will I be able to buy finals reserved tickets on Saturday?

I think they sell them at the box office on Saturday.  I have always bought in advance but I have always observed the box office open and people buying tickets.  There are usually empty seats in the upper deck so I don't know why you would not be able to buy reserved the day of.  Good luck & Enjoy!!