2019 BOA San Antonio

Just curious. Why is everyone doubting Prosper this year? Please don’t misunderstand me, I know they are not a lock but now they are way outside of the bubble discussion. They have grown and done quite well this year aside from BOA DFW. At the HEB contest they did well in GE. Is it the fact that they didn’t make finals at BOA DFW. Yes, they only had three acts on the field and some of the GE judges were hard on them but I can’t imagine they have slipped that much in a year.

Just curious. Why is everyone doubting Prosper this year? Please don’t misunderstand me, I know they are not a lock but now they are way outside of the bubble discussion. They have grown and done quite well this year aside from BOA DFW. At the HEB contest they did well in GE. Is it the fact that they didn’t make finals at BOA DFW. Yes, they only had three acts on the field and some of the GE judges were hard on them but I can’t imagine they have slipped that much in a year.

understand that this is the most difficult super regional in the country - many great bands are going to be on the outside looking in  - it is just that stiff a competition 

as a rule - you don't make BOA SA without making a high placement in other BOA regional events - event then - it is about what you put on the field in SA - 

let's see what is on the field .....

CTJ is busy being CTJ - as noted, they had some issues in Austin, back screens blowing away in prelims, field stage prop in the wrong spot that required the kids to ad-lib 11 minutes of drill on the fly - and still took a bronze medal in one of the tightest regional events in the state.

while many have stated that they have not seen much of them since then, they are on their normal rotation - they did not go to McAllen as planned prior to Austin, that was a cost thing with an Indy trip this year. they have been at UIL and parts of their show have been on the field during Football games (CTJ and Madison battling for district 26 -6A) CTJ has not done Houston BOA since  2015 or DFW BOA since 2012 - all of those as well as Midland and McAllen require charter buses due to distance and are usually overnight trips - Huge cost with 350+ kids and 3 trailers

keep in mind, CTJ plays host to UIL Region - every year, UIL Area - 6A State Years and also hosts the BOA SA- this will be our 5th year to do so. this put a lot of workload on the families, so the program does not go compete every weekend

as for the show, it continues to grow and evolve and will do so through Grand Nats. I have seen many that have CTJ at 7 or so - while I am certainly biased, I do not see their streak of top 5 finishes at BOA SA ending this year and anticipate their best finish ever during their 3rd trip to Indy in a few weeks.

the show at the dome will not be what you saw in Austin -

good luck to all that are competing this weekend - I will be working at the field level for the entire 2 day event - hope to get some great pics for our #teamtexas Facebook page.

also proud that our program has the ability to support other guest to San Antonio

Proud to have the following programs on our Band pad this week

• ArchBishop Alter HS - OH
  • Wakeland HS - TX
  • Cedar Park HS - TX

Welcome to South-Central Texas - we hope you enjoy your stay.

#teamtexas

I personally like their show this year more than last year. But if they drop in placement, I wouldn’t say it’s because they are slipping but that the competition is so crazy and many bands have made strong statements this season. I haven’t been able to come up with a prediction that I am even a little confident about, especially the 12-25.

In addition to what banddad84 said above, I would also point out that there will very likely be 10-15 bands that don't make finals this weekend that would easily have made finals in St. Louis and Indy Super Regionals that happened 1-2 weeks prior.  This competition is stacked with good bands, Prosper being one of them.  Good luck this weekend and thanks for representing Texas so well at GN last year!!

Just curious. What bands would you say have made strong statements about their rankings?

I know you’re not asking me, but I know you are associated with Westwood. Honestly, at this competition, the only statement that matters is the prelims performance. Don’t worry about placements or making finals. Focus on having the best prelims performance you can, and the results will take care of themselves.

Just curious. What bands would you say have made strong statements about their rankings?

Westwood, Rouse, Wakeland, JBA, Clear Brook, Lake Travis, and others I'm probably forgetting have shown a lot of growth and improvement this season and have moved into the bubble mix. And then there are the other bands that we already expect to be in the fight for finals like Coppell, Prosper, Round Rock, Westlake, etc.

I just wish so much that these kids could get that second performance but there are only so many finals spots.

Westwood, Rouse, Wakeland, JBA, Clear Brook, Lake Travis, and others I'm probably forgetting have shown a lot of growth and improvement this season and have moved into the bubble mix. And then there are the other bands that we already expect to be in the fight for finals like Coppell, Prosper, Round Rock, Westlake, etc.

I just wish so much that these kids could get that second performance but there are only so many finals spots.

That's the number one reason I wish SA had a semi finals. Too many shows deserve a second performance.

...and that's why I'm looking forward to finals this Saturday. Catching up on the past days posts only adds to the excitement. Back in 2017, SA ranked better as a contest for me than GN after watching both of them live. Just going over possible finalists, no one really has a clue how its going to play out before they hit the field. Sure there are a handful of "yeah, this one will be there", but then those get tossed around in and out when other groups get remembered that maybe were overlooked the first time.... and you run out of slots. There are so many bands that are so close together that you could rerun the contest a few days later and come up with completely different results. Its not a knock to any particular band that may not make finals, even if it was their best run of the season, its the fact that performance levels are so incredible from all the groups that its hard to squeeze in, what 14?, bands to try and run it again Sat night. If I remember correctly, LD Bell broke 90 and didn't make finals in 2017 and there was something like 1.6 points separating 2nd through 6th place. SA is monster of a competition and the time to leave it all on the field, pushing for the best run of the year when your band is announced. Good luck to the all the groups this weekend and give it your all! I overheard a director tell his group when they entered the field "Breathe it all in guys! This is what you have worked for!" Now I have to go pack.

Welcome Back!!

A lot of predictions here, is anyone willing to put money on it? Any one want to bet me $1,000 per correct placement, $500 per caption? :lol:

I'd bet that on Reagan winning visual. The complexity and cleanliness of their visual program is just a step ahead of every other band in Texas.

Can you imagine what it would look like if Vegas put down odds for Band Contests?!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Something like:

Reagan: 3 to 1

Flower Mound: 5 to 1

Vandegrift: 10 to 1

Hebron: 15 to 1

CTJ: 15 to 1

Leander: 20 to 1

TWHS: 25 to 1

Vista Ridge: 30 to 1

Marcus: 50 to 1

Keller: 50 to 1

James Bowie: 50 to 1

LD Bell: 75 to 1

Westwood: 100 to 1

Westlake: 100 to 1

Cedar Park: 100 to 1

Cedar Ridge: 100 to 1

Coppell: 100 to 1

Field: 250 to 1

It will be interesting to see large jumps in placements, which rarely happens. If Westwood does make finals it will be jumping from 33 the previous year ending with mid-80 score. I predict this year they have a real shot at cracking 90. However, no other trends have been broken this year, all bands seem to be in similar places leading up to San Antonio. Cedar Ridge And CTJ are hard to predict and may throw in a curve ball. And getting to see Cedar Park live and in action was amazing and is really hard to see them missing finals. I am very excited to be watching finals in person this year !!! :)

Something like:

Reagan: 3 to 1

Flower Mound: 5 to 1

Vandegrift: 10 to 1

Hebron: 15 to 1

CTJ: 15 to 1

Leander: 20 to 1

TWHS: 25 to 1

Vista Ridge: 30 to 1

Marcus: 50 to 1

Keller: 50 to 1

James Bowie: 50 to 1

LD Bell: 75 to 1

Westwood: 100 to 1

Westlake: 100 to 1

Cedar Park: 100 to 1

Cedar Ridge: 100 to 1

Coppell: 100 to 1

Field: 250 to 1

First I should say I’m generally not crazy about Flo Mo shows. However, their show this year is outstanding and very well executed. They’re good enough that I they are going to be hard to beat. At the very least I would put them at the same odds as Reagan...and don’t forget that Hebron always brings it late in the season. Seems like most people are forgetting about Vista Murrieta, I think they are a dark horse for finals.....that is purely based on past years of success they have had.

Has anyone watched the livestream on Flomarching yet this year, and if so do they have the ability to rewind yet (if on my TV)?

I know they had it last year and then took it away![/quote

There is a feature called replay, I just signed up and haven’t used it. I’m assuming that is the function since can’t watch replay on non performance days.