2019 BOA San Antonio

I went to the UIL Region 2 contest today and was able to see Hebron, Flower Mound, and Marcus. They were great! Not sure if Hebron performed their full show, they still had a minute and a half left on the clock. They ended their show with the movement where they play A Million Dreams. It just seems so short and like an unfinished product. Anyone have any insight? I was also able to record all of them. I would upload them to YT but I’m sure they’ll get taken down the minute it goes up.

Edit: typo

I went to the UIL Region 2 contest today and was able to see Hebron, Flower Mound, and Marcus. They were great! Not sure if Hebron performed their full show, they still had a minute and a half left on the clock. They ended their show with the movement where they okay A Million Dreams. It just seems so short and like an unfinished product. Anyone have any insight? I was also able to record all of them. I would upload them to YT but I’m sure they’ll get taken down the minute it goes up.

If you keep them unlisted, and carefully give out links the videos will likely stay up.

Yeah, I saw region 32 today as well. I would agree Vista's show came more alive. I heard from the kids they had to redo the closer. They'll be fine. I also was told they decided they are going to Nationals. I was told 2020 but I don't believe that given the money, logistics, and the fact it is a state year.

Poor Leander was plagued today by some issue with their sound equipment and started their show in the middle. Handled it maturely though.

I also thought Rouse outperformed Cedar Park. I'm not an expert, but for a finals spot I might give Rouse the edge or at least a fighting chance.

Poor Leander was plagued today by some issue with their sound equipment and started their show in the middle. Handled it maturely though.

Our show is 10+ minutes long and as we all know UIL makes you stop at 8 minutes so the Directors let us all know they would be skipping the opener.  Also, UIL has rules for recorded sound so we were using a different sound track today.  Now that the UIL show is behind us, we can get back to our normal BOA show.

Yeah, I saw region 32 today as well. I would agree Vista's show came more alive. I heard from the kids they had to redo the closer. They'll be fine. I also was told they decided they are going to Nationals. I was told 2020 but I don't believe that given the money, logistics, and the fact it is a state year.

I also thought Rouse outperformed Cedar Park. I'm not an expert, but for a finals spot I might give Rouse the edge or at least a fighting chance.

Vista Ridge has confirmed their trip to Grand Nationals.

I went to the UIL Region 2 contest today and was able to see Hebron, Flower Mound, and Marcus. They were great! Not sure if Hebron performed their full show, they still had a minute and a half left on the clock. They ended their show with the movement where they play A Million Dreams. It just seems so short and like an unfinished product. Anyone have any insight? I was also able to record all of them. I would upload them to YT but I’m sure they’ll get taken down the minute it goes up.

Edit: typo

Hebron chose to only perform their opener and ballad because they have a percussion feature that would have put them right at the 8 minute mark and it didn’t make sense to end it on that. At least, so I’ve been told. Also keeps some secrecy.

Hebron chose to only perform their opener and ballad because they have a percussion feature that would have put them right at the 8 minute mark and it didn’t make sense to end it on that. At least, so I’ve been told. Also keeps some secrecy.

I figured that’s why they didn’t perform their last movement, to avoid the penalty. I hope whoever goes to Grand Nats records all the Texas bands! TWHSParent, maybe?

After today and two weeks away!

Bands that will no doubt make finals: 

Flower Mound 

Ronald Reagan

Vandergrift

CTJ

Hebron

Leander

Vista Ridge

The Woodlands

Other potential finalist

Marcus:...nothing to say other than it would be hard to see them missing finals. 

James Bowie: a group that always seems to be up or down! however don't count them out just yet their Waco victory over Keller proves why they are a legend in marching band. They have been a a group that has always been respected and might just grab one of those honored finals slot's. 

Keller: Musically, they are superior than Bowie in finals it proved to be correct. I was actually shocked they came in second in music in the prelims. They just need alot more cleaning, when was the last time they didn't make finals at SA BOA? I would be shocked if they miss this time around. 

Cedar Ridge: A group that is always absent from everyone's radar! They rarely perform at contest except Austin and San Antonio or those rare showings in Conroe. But don't be fooled they always outperform expectations, they need a little cleaning visually but there is still two weeks to go so keep a slot for them on your prediction list. 

L.D. Bell: That 89.20 at St. Louis is going to be hard to over look, this group is on the verge of a massive comeback. We will see in two or three years where they land at this contest, I would love to see them surprise a lot of people. 

Number 14: This is so hard because one would think Cedar Park, because they are so clean and precise. However, Rouse seem's to be doing better in GE than their rival. It all depends on who has the better performance. I would personally love to see Westwood snag this slot because they just seem so incredible this year. No matter what there are about 25 bands that deserve to make finals. It could be a total shake up! we never know what will happen. 

So, my take this morning. Feel free to pick it apart and let me know how dumb I am (hint: I already know I'm dumb :wacko:) :

There is a top 7, with 2 other bands that can disrupt (no real order yet, but my general opinions of shows that I've seen, which isn't much in some cases):

Ronald Reagan

Flower Mound

The Woodlands

Vandegrift

Hebron

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Leander

The 2 that I think can play spoiler:

Vista Ridge

LD Bell

Then something like 31 bands that will really be vying for the last 5 spots. Strongest of these, in my opinion, which could also make surprise entries into the top half:

James Bowie

Coppell

Marcus

Rouse

Cedar Park

Westwood

Keller

Westlake

Cedar Ridge

Next Group would include
Vista Murrieta

Lake Travis

Pearland

Oak Ridge

John B Alexander

Clear Brook

Round Rock

Wakeland

Timber Creek

Tompkins

Then some that could surprise:

Cy-Fair

Cypress Falls

Dawson

Aledo

Keller Central

College Park

Hendrickson

New Braunfels

North Shore

Prosper

Roma

Katy

So, very deep contest as we all know and expect, so I am certain I forgot someone. So I guess that is my top 40 for this week?

As an aside, I think we have at least 6 class A bands, and 3 of our out of state attendees (not sure about Westlake, UT):

Alter, OH

Ann Richards, TX

Collinsville, OK

Hollister, MO

Johnson, TX

Robinson, TX

From scores for each of these, it could be a tight finishing order. The only one I can't find anything at all about this year is Alter. They have a history of being a solid class A band in BOA.

Edited to drop Seven Lakes (per comment they aren't attending), and added Katy as my 40th band.

Edited by TWHSParent

So, my take this morning. Feel free to pick it apart and let me know how dumb I am (hint: I already know I'm dumb :wacko:) :

There is a top 7, with 2 other bands that can disrupt (no real order yet, but my general opinions of shows that I've seen, which isn't much in some cases):

Ronald Reagan

Flower Mound

The Woodlands

Vandegrift

Hebron

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Leander

The 2 that I think can play spoiler:

Vista Ridge

LD Bell

Then something like 31 bands that will really be vying for the last 5 spots. Strongest of these, in my opinion, which could also make surprise entries into the top half:

James Bowie

Coppell

Marcus

Rouse

Cedar Park

Westwood

Keller

Westlake

Cedar Ridge

Next Group would include

Vista Murrieta

Lake Travis

Pearland

Oak Ridge

John B Alexander

Clear Brook

Round Rock

Wakeland

Timber Creek

Tompkins

Seven Lakes

Then some that could surprise:

Cy-Fair

Cypress Falls

Dawson

Aledo

Keller Central

College Park

Hendrickson

New Braunfels

North Shore

Prosper

Roma

So, very deep contest as we all know and expect, so I am certain I forgot someone. So I guess that is my top 40 for this week?

As an aside, I think we have at least 6 class A bands, and 3 of our out of state attendees (not sure about Westlake, UT):

Alter, OH

Ann Richards, TX

Collinsville, OK

Hollister, MO

Johnson, TX

Robinson, TX

From scores for each of these, it could be a tight finishing order. The only one I can't find anything at all about this year is Alter. They have a history of being a solid class A band in BOA.

pretty extensive list - appreciate the effort

cant say that I disagree with any of your picks/logic -

I stop after the top 20 - the top 10 is hard enough to predict but you took it way beyond that

look forward to seeing them all in the dome