Ok band parents, how TRULY nerdy and “all in” are you for your affiliate band program?

LeanderMomma

I mean are you truly all in, or is it just talk?

Here’s my nerd story for the week. (I have so many, I could do a weekly storytime on the subject :D).

So, as many of you may recall, my car was totaled back in August when my baby girl was involved in a high speed, 4 car collision on Mopac. (Fortunately she was found completely not at fault, nor was she injured other than some general soreness). Anyway, I quickly went on the hunt for a replacement car and completely and utterly fell in love with a georgous crystal white Subaru Legacy which I have affectionately named Pearl. Since then, I have been driving around with temporary license plates, not so patiently waiting for my new permanent plates to come in. Well they finally did so, and I drove down to Austin Subaru to pick them up last Thursday, and you might say that I got a little excited when I saw that they started with LHS! I may or may not have squealed as the car guy very nicely put them on for me (in the rain, no less), and I possibly did a happy dance in the parking lot as I cried, “This was meant to be for me!” The car guy gave me a hesitant smile as I’m sure he was thinking I’m a little nutty, but I didn’t care. I was just SO excited to have my new car holler out my love for a certain high school that I care very deeply for. Now if only those last 4 numbers on my plate after the ~ symbol had spelled out BAND, my life would have been complete. ;)

My user name tells part of our story. 1998 is the year our oldest was a Freshman and 2018 is our youngest's Senior year. 21 marching seasons. Want more commitment? Sure! 16 years ago my wife made the mistake of briefly getting distracted at a band booster meeting. I took the opportunity to volunteer her to run the concession stand during home football games. Her first year it made over four times as much profit for the band as it had the previous year and that continues to increase. 16 years later she's still running it even though for 9 of the 16 years we were between kids. Our daughter is much younger than her brothers and for all those years whenever our band Director saw her he would ask, "Next year you're in band, right?" She never stood a chance.

My wife has no plans to give up running the concession stand when our daughter moves on to college. I will still be carrying truckloads of stuff for her and the band.

My user name tells part of our story. 1998 is the year our oldest was a Freshman and 2018 is our youngest's Senior year. 21 marching seasons. Want more commitment? Sure! 16 years ago my wife made the mistake of briefly getting distracted at a band booster meeting. I took the opportunity to volunteer her to run the concession stand during home football games. Her first year it made over four times as much profit for the band as it had the previous year and that continues to increase. 16 years later she's still running it even though for 9 of the 16 years we were between kids. Our daughter is much younger than her brothers and for all those years whenever our band Director saw her he would ask, "Next year you're in band, right?" She never stood a chance.

My wife has no plans to give up running the concession stand when our daughter moves on to college. I will still be carrying truckloads of stuff for her and the band.

Y’all win. :)

I've been a "Pit Bull" for the Allen band since 2013, and will be for at least 2 more years. 

My wife is the "Uniform Mom", leading the team that fits, assigns, and repairs all of the marching and concert uniforms (dresses and tuxes) for the Allen band.  This year, this meant receiving and organizing a brand new set of marching uniforms.

I've been a "Pit Bull" for the Allen band since 2013, and will be for at least 2 more years. 

My wife is the "Uniform Mom", leading the team that fits, assigns, and repairs all of the marching and concert uniforms (dresses and tuxes) for the Allen band.  This year, this meant receiving and organizing a brand new set of marching uniforms.

Oh my goodness, how epic that must have been passing out new uni's to the Amazing Allen Band!!  :)  

Right now I am the Drum Dragging chair.  if you see Arlington live, you will see a mass of parents pulling all the instruments and electronics...I schedule all of that.

My car has no less that 4 different magnets/stickers related to AHS band.

I support the percussion competitions even though my daughter is a horn.

I stayed until 1am helping with our annual chalk mural we do for our show right before UIL regional.

I have worked 2 seasons of Rangers games slinging hot dogs and nachos to raise money.

I don't know what I'll do when she graduates in 2 years!

Right now I am the Drum Dragging chair.  if you see Arlington live, you will see a mass of parents pulling all the instruments and electronics...I schedule all of that.

My car has no less that 4 different magnets/stickers related to AHS band.

I support the percussion competitions even though my daughter is a horn.

I stayed until 1am helping with our annual chalk mural we do for our show right before UIL regional.

I have worked 2 seasons of Rangers games slinging hot dogs and nachos to raise money.

I don't know what I'll do when she graduates in 2 years!

That's fantastic!

I'll tell you what you do when she graduates....you join the rest of us crazy alumni folks and sit with the TXBands people at all BOA competitions!  It's a mini-support group.   :D

8 years (3 more to go) on the road crew for one of those San Antonio bands.  Year 7 I didn't have a kid in the high school band but my 8th grader (now a freshman in the band) at the time wanted to road crew and got director approval to do so.  So I did one year without a proverbial dog in the hunt.  Wouldn't change it for the world either.  Proud to say he out worked a good bit of the adults on the crew.  

We had a kid who only marched their freshman year. Just wasn't into it and wanted to do other things as the force wasn't strong with that one. The following year we were still there helping and making flags as Avon used to make all their flags by hand. Someone decided to go around the room, give your name, and what your kid played. When it came to me I said "Show Choir" to a few strange looks as another one of ours was in that and we didn't currently have one in the band at that time. We have worked band contests, helped with percussion contests, concession stands, uniforms, shoes, sitting on cold windy bleachers, pushing props, provided snacks and contributed to meals, bus chaperon, loaded and unloaded semi trailers in the dark, signs in the yard, stickers on the car, bought numerous t-shirts and hoodies and even traveled to Texas. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Great story! The force is obviously strong with you and your sweet wife. :)