The "tips, hints, and great things to know" for band parents

FloMoParent

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, AvonDad said:

All bands deserve a standing ovation.  We make sure that every kid gets the recognition they deserve as they a have all put in the hours.  At Avon, every band will get a standing ovation from the parents.

This is very true. I think one of the biggest issues that exists within the band parent community is poor behavior at competitions. Unlike sports, these people (even sometimes 3 to 4 years or more into the activity) do not realize that these are competitions with entirely subjective outcomes. They think cheering louder for a band or not for another will impact the scoring.

Also, gossip about other schools is commonplace in the stands, usually involving less than accurate and sometimes downright misinformed/malicious comments being made among triggered 40-50somethings. Many times, jaded band parents or alumni who 'can't let go' have to find a way to take a hatchet to any band's success on the field. Now, there are entirely fair reasons to gripe about a band theoretically holding a competitive advantage over others' (combining multiple high schools into one group, etc), but in general, band parents can be nasty & territorial about the most ridiculous things.

One thing I believe that band parents should strive to understand is that, as they watch their groups grow over the season, not every band has the same goals throughout the season. Some finish earlier than others, are more complete at a given time than others, but unless it's the final competition of the season for all, most of the time direct compares are dangerous to make. Only one snapshot at a time.

I just wish more band parents and former band parents had the right mindset. I see a few on other forums (even one in particular on this thread) who are also alumni who 'can't let go' and it sickens me how they try to rule over online discourse in an activity that desperately needs diversity of thought and respect for all opinions to truly evolve.

• 8 months later...
32 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

Y’all be sure and check out this funny and informative broadcast @Bandmomx4 and I did along with Jeremy from The Guard Closet regarding preparing your kids and yourselves for the upcoming summer band camps and the fall season!  🥰🥰  

Oooooooo I'll watch it later after work!!!!!

18 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Y’all be sure and check out this funny and informative broadcast @Bandmomx4 and I did along with Jeremy from The Guard Closet regarding preparing your kids and yourselves for the upcoming summer band camps and the fall season!  🥰🥰  

It was great! Happy 1st Day of Band Camp to all. Stay cool...

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Samuel Culper said:

My personal rule is to give every performance a standing ovation. Every single one. Every competition, every round.

I don't know why you would do any less.

Sorry to say not every band deserves a standing ovation. A sturdy and strong clap sure, but there needs to be a reward for bands that are clearly stronger.

I’ll clap like a maniac for Lubbock-Cooper, but I won’t stand up. There needs to be a reward instead of giant participation trophies that everyone’s so good. Your effort is valid and applauded, but a standard needs to be set.

10 hours ago, The Amarillo Band Fan said:

Sorry to say not every band deserves a standing ovation. A sturdy and strong clap sure, but there needs to be a reward for bands that are clearly stronger.

I’ll clap like a maniac for Lubbock-Cooper, but I won’t stand up. There needs to be a reward instead of giant participation trophies that everyone’s so good. Your effort is valid and applauded, but a standard needs to be set.

It's not a performance that "deserves" an ovation, it's for the dedication and hard work students, teachers, parents, etc do to create the show on the field, for the program in general. Personally I find it a bit odd to think that different bands deserve a different amount of clapping based on how they do at a comp. While you can either stand or not, I don't you need to base whether you do off of "standards", that's what the awards are for

12 hours ago, The Amarillo Band Fan said:

I'm not a judge.  I'm a fan of bands and, more specifically, band kids. I applaud for their dedication to such a great activity.