New Bands on The Rise (Up and Coming Bands)

• 2 weeks later...

Seven Lakes, Pearland, Oak Ridge, JET, and College Park are attending San Antonio SR per the current list. I don't see SFA, Brazoswood, or Cy-Fair on the list.

I would say yes, those 5 have a shot at finals. Just from the Conroe performance Seven Lakes and Oak Ridge are in the best position (ahead of Churchill and a couple points behind Bowie), but the other 3 certainly have room to grow and get there.

Seven Lakes, Pearland, Oak Ridge, JET, and College Park are attending San Antonio SR per the current list. I don't see SFA, Brazoswood, or Cy-Fair on the list.

I would say yes, those 5 have a shot at finals. Just from the Conroe performance Seven Lakes and Oak Ridge are in the best position (ahead of Churchill and a couple points behind Bowie), but the other 3 certainly have room to grow and get there.

Cy-Fair doesn't attend the SR on state years, so they won't attend this year but should in 2019.

Cy-Fair doesn't attend the SR on state years, so they won't attend this year but should in 2019.

That's unfortunate, I think they would do well this year. We are staying in San Antonio through the state competition since they moved the 6A to Monday/Tuesday. In 2016 we commuted back and forth separately for each contest due to the length of time between them.

• 3 weeks later...

Earl Warren has been on an incline. The past few years they have spent a lot of time investing in the feeder schools as well as marching and music techs for overall drill and music writing. My opinion they are the top band in NISD...others might argue second. Their color guard and drum line are among the best. I think this year with Asgari moving to Brandies they fell a little short on the drumline end compared to past years but it is expected with change. Overall great group and have been medaling high at competitions. We will see how area goes.

As a Brandeis parent, I gotta say I love the Warren band. The show this year is so well done. I hope we both make area finals so the kids can have one more time to shine. The future for NISD looks like Warren and Brandeis leading the way to me.

Yes! Brandeis has always been a hit from the start. Im rooting for NISD all the way.

Thank you. As I stated yesterday, I loved the Leander show. We aspire to reach that level

Oops, I accidentally deleted my first reply. I just was saying Brandeis is definitely being noticed. And I love the uniforms! The way the B is worked in to the uniform is really cool too.

I sat in front of some Brandeis parents yesterday. Very nice people. Very humble and so gracious to all of we Leander mommas around them. It was a lovely day for band!

With Vista Ridge showing up big, I want to know how bands who have been in the background for years so to speak suddenly become locks/contenders. FloMo and Keller are another couple of examples. I get the new program that starts from the ground up, but these are not new schools that seemed to rise to prominence in a short amount of time.

With Vista Ridge showing up big, I want to know how bands who have been in the background for years so to speak suddenly become locks/contenders. FloMo and Keller are another couple of examples. I get the new program that starts from the ground up, but these are not new schools that seemed to rise to prominence in a short amount of time.

New Directors, New staff, New ideas. 

I barely heard anything about John Horn reputation-wise, but their sound greatly surprised me at State prelims. Fantastic technicality and energy from them, especially during the Mackey arrangements.

I wish I was able to experience John B Alexander’s Show in person. When we were ready to head to BOA McAllen earlier this season, I felt inclined to research some valley programs, and Alexander was NOT on my radar. Then, they came out of nowhere and nearly overtook us at finals. Hoping to see this program take off, and actually experience their next show in person.

Also, got to see Vista Ridge. I think they were pretty good.

Update to my previous post on Rouse: Finished the 2018 season with division 2A wins at BOA Austin and San Antonio Super Regional and a class 5A win at TMC. Did anyone see American Tapestries this year? Would like to hear opinions from non-Rouse folks :)

LOVED it!!! Such a bright future ahead. Long the leftover in LISD, Rouse showed this year that they’re definitely next.

Soon enough, LISD is going to regularly pump four or five bands into both San Antonio and 6A State Finals. It’ll be the 2020s version of early 2000s Cobb County in Georgia in terms of dominance by one school district.

Hays is definitely on the rise. (I am a little biased) but with the new staff we have made history of our school by making Area D finals AND came out as first state alternate just behind of Round Rock! Also to note that at BOA San Antonio 2018 we jumped from 51st the previous year to 34th in prelims. Such great things are coming from Hays and I am so excited to see where they go in the future.

Just gonna do that thing I do where I insert Porter High into every topic. We’ve been rapidly improving over the past few years, going from dead last in the area to 28th in the state in 5 years, and after some staff changes this year, we’re looking to be even better and more competitive next year, especially now that our formerly very young band is beginning to mature.