Area B 2018

That’s the sad truth... Duncanville sounded great, but they were more “band” than marching. IMO, I feel like Timbercreek should’ve taken 5th place, because they had the best of both worlds. At the end of the day, all 3 of the music judges preferred Duncanville musically, and that is what stands.

Honestly it really looked like Timber was marching and playing the whole time. Also those tempos in their opener and closer were crazy, some of the fastest tempos there

Also, judges have no idea who's show is harder most of the time. They're looking for cleanliness, and a small part of their judgment comes down to difficulty when all of the top groups do difficult stuff. "Park and bark" is a common complaint in the band world but every single band does it. Some more than others. In DCI, everyone complains that The Blue Devils park and bark, but they've won more than everyone else. In the DCI percussion world, groups started uploading "learn the music" videos where the music is on the screen. These corps aren't really doing it for fans. I know for a fact that groups upload these videos for the judges so the judge can see just how hard a passage or feature is. Everyone knows that the better you can play something, the easier it looks. So a lot of these groups weren't getting credit because they made the music look easy.

My point is, maybe Timber Creek's show is harder than Duncanville's. Maybe LD Bell's show was the hardest show on the field. Maybe the top 10 should have been much different. I have no idea. But judges cannot judge on "what if's" or "I think this show is a bit harder". They're mostly juding on cleanliness. You can disagree with the judges, but they have to judge what they see and think. They cannot make assumptions on difficulty when the shows are relatively close difficulty wise. Especially when every show is so different.

The only true way to make UIL 100% fair would be to cap the number of marching members and make every band learn the exact same show. But obviously that will never happen.

And remember, it's just band. Being hateful and bitter towards other groups won't help anything. Be positive and support everyone, because every band, student, parent, and staff member is doing their best and working their hardest.

Also, judges have no idea who's show is harder most of the time. They're looking for cleanliness, and a small part of their judgment comes down to difficulty when all of the top groups do difficult stuff. "Park and bark" is a common complaint in the band world but every single band does it. Some more than others. In DCI, everyone complains that The Blue Devils park and bark, but they've won more than everyone else. In the DCI percussion world, groups started uploading "learn the music" videos where the music is on the screen. These corps aren't really doing it for fans. I know for a fact that groups upload these videos for the judges so the judge can see just how hard a passage or feature is. Everyone knows that the better you can play something, the easier it looks. So a lot of these groups weren't getting credit because they made the music look easy.

My point is, maybe Timber Creek's show is harder than Duncanville's. Maybe LD Bell's show was the hardest show on the field. Maybe the top 10 should have been much different. I have no idea. But judges cannot judge on "what if's" or "I think this show is a bit harder". They're mostly juding on cleanliness. You can disagree with the judges, but they have to judge what they see and think. They cannot make assumptions on difficulty when the shows are relatively close difficulty wise. Especially when every show is so different.

The only true way to make UIL 100% fair would be to cap the number of marching members and make every band learn the exact same show. But obviously that will never happen.

And remember, it's just band. Being hateful and bitter towards other groups won't help anything. Be positive and support everyone, because every band, student, parent, and staff member is doing their best and working their hardest.

That’s a fair point

I think Keller and Waxa set themselves apart with the difficulty of their show, especially musically. On the live blog I think they said Keller started the show with 2+ minutes left on the clock. That’s a long show. A 10 minute show. Keller and Waxahachie were achieving really hard music which takes a lot of stamina. And I think it’s not about marching vs. standing still. It’s about how well can you move and play. Keller and Waxa moved and payed better then everyone else with harder music which set them apart.

I think musically Coppell and Keller had a pretty crazy hard show. Double tounging at 170 on a trumpet/mellophone isn't easy, even for the best in the world. Waxahachie I didn't think had a show as challenging, but definitely executed it at a really high level. 

I think most of the results were about right, but you have to feel for Timber Creek, being the alternate 2 times in a row. I look forward to seeing most of these bands perform at BOA San Antonio, so here are my personal predictions just for BOA SA. 

BOA SA

1. Keller

2. Coppell

3. LD Bell

4. Prosper

5. Timber Creek

6. Haltom

I don't really see anyone making BOA SA Finals from this area except for Keller and maybe Coppell/Prosper (good performance time?). Even Coppell/Prosper is fairly low, as Coppell doesn't bode well at BOA, and Prosper is still on the rise. 

I think musically Coppell and Keller had a pretty crazy hard show. Double tounging at 170 on a trumpet/mellophone isn't easy, even for the best in the world. Waxahachie I didn't think had a show as challenging, but definitely executed it at a really high level. 

I think most of the results were about right, but you have to feel for Timber Creek, being the alternate 2 times in a row. I look forward to seeing most of these bands perform at BOA San Antonio, so here are my personal predictions just for BOA SA. 

BOA SA

1. Keller

2. Coppell

3. LD Bell

4. Prosper

5. Timber Creek

6. Haltom

I don't really see anyone making BOA SA Finals from this area except for Keller and maybe Coppell/Prosper (good performance time?). Even Coppell/Prosper is fairly low, as Coppell doesn't bode well at BOA, and Prosper is still on the rise. 

Keller and Coppell double tounging at 170 - difficult, but Waxahachie triple tounging at 162 is not? What about the 70-90 note chromatic and scaling runs done by both brass and woodwinds. I am obviously biased (being a Hachie parent), but their music is extremely difficult and they execute very well - AS DOES Keller and Coppell, and many other bands in this area.

FYI - I second your picks for BOA SA and wish all bands competing best of luck!

Keller and Coppell double tounging at 170 - difficult, but Waxahachie triple tounging at 162 is not? What about the 70-90 note chromatic and scaling runs done by both brass and woodwinds. I am obviously biased (being a Hachie parent), but their music is extremely difficult and they execute very well - AS DOES Keller and Coppell, and many other bands in this area.

FYI - I second your picks for BOA SA and wish all bands competing best of luck!

Triple tounging at 162? Hmm...

Anyhow, I do think waxa executed their show well, better than Keller or Coppell. However, Coppell's show has many very difficult ensemble moments they need to lock in and Keller's prelims performance was their very first full run full show in uniform.

Waxa has a great show and great performers, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it matches the ambition of Keller and Coppell. But hey thats just my opinion.

As a former Marcus parent, I have seen many marching shows over the years.  I have seen every band that was in the Area B finals at some contest this year, but with the weather, I may not have seen them since they put the final touches on their show.  No on had "easy music" by any means measured.  However, my nephew plays football now and we went to the Waxahachie game to see him and to see the band who is the reigning 5A honor band.  We sat at the game with some Cadet Alumni who just wanted to see the show because of the "Trittico" by Nelhybel.  Their amazment that a high school band could play this and play it well, in September I might add, was genuine.  I concede that other bands have difficult music, but no one can claim that theirs is more difficult, because that just isn't the truth.  It's your opinion.  I have heard Ms. Drinkwater wax poetic about the precsion and execution of diffiicult music done by Waxahachie in marching, concert and jazz.  It's okay to think your band is great.  It's okay to think you should have placed higher.  When you try to make a case that your band plays or marches better than another, it shows your bias.  It isn't classy.  I thought all these bands had gorgeous programs.  I really wish I could have been two places on Saturday night.  I am going to SA to see all the bands this weekend and prelims on Monday.  I wouldn't be suprised to see a couple of the Area B bands in finals, with Marcus I hope!

I haven't seen Marcus's full show (only part of it early in the season) but looking forward to seeing them at state!

BOA SA

1. Keller

2. Coppell

3. LD Bell

4. Prosper

5. Timber Creek

6. Haltom

Actually 5th* time in a row for Timber (but 2 in a row at the same contest).

Also Timber has beat Coppell at almost every BOA contest in the last 2 years(including this year) so I honestly don't see that changing. But hey anything can happen!

I think:

1.Keller

2.LD Bell

3.Timber Creek

4. Prosper

5. Coppell

6. Haltom 

Once and for all: it's Waxahachie or Hachie :)

Never saw "Waxa" til this season, buy I hope we all nip this in the bud before some poor soul says Waxa IRL.

lol....Officially it's Waxahachie. The short version is just Hachie. We are just happy to be among this amazing area with these extremely talented bands/musicians/students.

So, I’ve heard that there’s a chance that Prosper might step out of UIL State because of BOA Grand Nationals.. but, looking at the schedules with there being a 1 1/2 day difference in performance times and even though they are first to go at Grand Nats it seems that is unlikely and no alternate will be taken to State? Sounds like they will have a very very busy week that week with also going to BOA San Antonio..

No prosper is not I can confirm they are attending boa, uil, and state in Indianapolis.. My son will be gone from Nov 3-11 ;)

Speaking of the greatness of Area B--if you haven't seen this story cross your FB feed yet, try to tune in to NBC in DFW tonight at 10 for this story out of Keller High. Truly inspirational and a reminder that this world is still good, and band kids are still the best.:

https://www.facebook.com/NBCDFW/posts/10156226200637690

I saw that. Very very cool story!