BOA Conroe 2018

On the ghosting posts, you'll find that the people behind those very much understand the situation and the unfairness. They aren't truly advocating that anything like that happens (including me). And out of that set of posts, I did learn a new phrase "pickle squirts". That had me rolling.

I don't have any contacts with local colleges/universities. U of Houston is doing an exhibition at BOA Conroe - don't know if they could be persuaded to stop in at Klein Memorial Stadium on their way back to campus? Or would one of our other CISD bands be available? How about Grand Oaks? The percussion director there was with TWHS last year. College Park, Oak Ridge, and Conroe are all at the BOA contest. If they don't make finals, could they be a possibility?

Yes... I figured as much... I'm just one of those- "make sure" people.  lol!  and Pickle Squirts... well if I hear that as I'm walking through the crowd I guess I'll know who you are...  :) 

I was emailed back this morning from my email I sent to the principal yesterday.  He shared that he will be meeting with the Band Directors and Band Leadership on Monday.  I emailed him back thanking him for taking the time to read and reply to my email- and asking him to please go into the meeting with an open mind towards non traditional solutions that would allow all the students to participate fully that day.  We shall see what plays out. 

Yes... I figured as much... I'm just one of those- "make sure" people.  lol!  and Pickle Squirts... well if I hear that as I'm walking through the crowd I guess I'll know who you are...  :)

I was emailed back this morning from my email I sent to the principal yesterday.  He shared that he will be meeting with the Band Directors and Band Leadership on Monday.  I emailed him back thanking him for taking the time to read and reply to my email- and asking him to please go into the meeting with an open mind towards non traditional solutions that would allow all the students to participate fully that day.  We shall see what plays out. 

Since you mentioned that, I just checked my email too. I had also copied the Superintendent, so I received the response from both of them about the meeting on Monday. So it will be interesting what comes out.

FYI, we are pit parents, and he is a senior this year. He had to skip finals at this contest in 2015 for the same reason, and did not want to repeat that this time, especially now that he knows what these contests mean.

Since you mentioned that, I just checked my email too. I had also copied the Superintendent, so I received the response from both of them about the meeting on Monday. So it will be interesting what comes out.

FYI, we are pit parents, and he is a senior this year. He had to skip finals at this contest in 2015 for the same reason, and did not want to repeat that this time, especially now that he knows what these contests mean.

Ah... the pit parents...  :)  I usually travel with the chaperone crew. lol! :)  2015 was right before we moved here

Yes... I figured as much... I'm just one of those- "make sure" people. lol! and Pickle Squirts... well if I hear that as I'm walking through the crowd I guess I'll know who you are... :)

I was emailed back this morning from my email I sent to the principal yesterday. He shared that he will be meeting with the Band Directors and Band Leadership on Monday. I emailed him back thanking him for taking the time to read and reply to my email- and asking him to please go into the meeting with an open mind towards non traditional solutions that would allow all the students to participate fully that day. We shall see what plays out.

You go, Momma!!!!!!

Letter sent from a pissed off TWHS alumni parent (also a pit parent!!).  Praying the outcry works.  Please keep us posted.

Yes... 

Curious if you know when and where this meeting will take place and if a "peaceful protest" might be in the works?  Perhaps even recruiting some football players (longshot I know given the short time frame)

I'm preparing a letter right now. In my letter I am including the fact that there shouldnt need to be an alternate solution for a band to play at this one game as college football teams rarely travel with their marching bands. Yes it would be expensive to travel with them, but if it truly made a difference in the performance of the team, you can guarantee those teams would spare no expense in traveling with them. But since they don't, it clearly isnt that important for the performance of the team. Yes, it makes for a more fun environment- but I doubt they would be having much fun knowing they are missing out on their own contest.

Curious if you know when and where this meeting will take place and if a "peaceful protest" might be in the works?  Perhaps even recruiting some football players (longshot I know given the short time frame)

The only info in the email I received is "I will be meeting with the Band Directors and Band Student Leadership on Monday to discuss the matter further and to hear all concerns."

The only info in the email I received is "I will be meeting with the Band Directors and Band Student Leadership on Monday to discuss the matter further and to hear all concerns."

that's the extent of what I know as well.

I'd love for some support to come from the football team and their parents- but I don't know anyone on the team.

I'm preparing a letter right now. In my letter I am including the fact that there shouldnt need to be an alternate solution for a band to play at this one game as college football teams rarely travel with their marching bands. Yes it would be expensive to travel with them, but if it truly made a difference in the performance of the team, you can guarantee those teams would spare no expense in traveling with them. But since they don't, it clearly isnt that important for the performance of the team. Yes, it makes for a more fun environment- but I doubt they would be having much fun knowing they are missing out on their own contest.

I agree that a compromise shouldn't be necessary. The band missing 1 football game is not going to make a truly measurable difference to their season (10% of their regular season games), while the band missing a finals opportunity is 25% of the BOA opportunities they have this year, or 20% if you count UIL region. The remaining UIL contests are more like the football playoffs, and you only get to continue if you make each successively higher bar.

And that comparison isn't completely valid either, as the band missing part of a contest is completely missed. A totally lost opportunity. While the band missing a football game doesn't mean the football team doesn't compete, so they receive their full season either way.

I’m curious to what would happen in this situation if the game coincided with UIL Area. Surely they wouldn’t require TWHS to pull out, then?

That is a question I have wondered about too. I would assume that UIL requirements would force the school to allow the band to compete in order to remain in good standing for all school activities.

I have already (within 30 minutes) received the canned response back from Curtis Null.  Seems like he is deferring it to Dr. Landy.

As 2 new administrators, they have the opportunity to make a change.  His response said "it is my understanding this plan was put in place last spring."  I didn't get a good vibe from it, but I'm hopeful.

I have already (within 30 minutes) received the canned response back from Curtis Null.  Seems like he is deferring it to Dr. Landy.

As 2 new administrators, they have the opportunity to make a change.  His response said "it is my understanding this plan was put in place last spring."  I didn't get a good vibe from it, but I'm hopeful.

I agree on the wording they used - not a good vibe. All we can do is try. If we don't squeak, they'll never try to grease the wheels.

That is a question I have wondered about too. I would assume that UIL requirements would force the school to allow the band to compete in order to remain in good standing for all school activities.

Well that's the thing. Skipping UIL Region would mess up a ton of things even down to the middle school UIL level. However, Area is completely optional.

Well that's the thing. Skipping UIL Region would mess up a ton of things even down to the middle school UIL level. However, Area is completely optional.

Hmmm. That would be a very interesting situation, and one that could plausibly happen. I'm going to check into some of the other CISD football schedules to see if they have a potential conflict with Area.

Hahaha!!!!  I hate pickles almost as much as I hate cherries (Shameless plug......)

Even if this does not work out, I am so freakin' proud of all of you that have helped galvanize this situation with your letters and emails!!!!

I have already (within 30 minutes) received the canned response back from Curtis Null. Seems like he is deferring it to Dr. Landy.

As 2 new administrators, they have the opportunity to make a change. His response said "it is my understanding this plan was put in place last spring." I didn't get a good vibe from it, but I'm hopeful.

Was the football schedule even out last spring?!

I am sorry that this situation is occuring.  Being from a Region in UIL that almost never sends any Bands to BOA, I see some differences that cause problems.

If the contest was UIL Regional Marching Contest, UIL policy requires the Schools to allow the Bands to perform at Marching Contest. Several years ago in Region 8 there were two games scheduled on Saturday afternoons right in the midst of the Class 6A Marching Bands schedule for Marching. The Four Band Directors made their administrators aware of this and they ruled that UIL Contest takes priority over the Football games. The Bands did Regional Marching Contest and they played records at the games. The problem and this is a "BIG ONE" is that BOA is not a UIL sponsored event.  I do think it is a bit petty to force the Band to go, however remember this , THE FOOTBALL GAME IS A SCHOOL ACTIVITY. That is why they can demand the Band be at a Game.  Even if you win this one , you will lose support from the school community. Good Luck. Why can's the Bands performance time in the Finals be moved so lthat can appear at the game and the contest, or move the time of the Game, which would allow the Band to do both.