BIG CHANGE for Lewisville ISD bands

I am surprised that there hasn't been any discussion on here of the recent calendar change by LISD.  They recently voted to have school start on Aug. 15, two weeks earlier than the traditional Aug. 27th.  With UIL rules that do not allow for practice before Aug 1. and the "eight hour rule" once school starts, I wonder how much this decision will impact the LISD bands?  Also, there is nearly a week of professional learning days that teachers must attend prior to the start of the school year, this could cut instruction time down just over one week before school starts.

News article here

Conroe ISD made that change this school year ('17-'18) - they started on August 16th. Next year ('18-'19) they start on August 15th. Having that shortened summer band schedule certainly had an effect this past season (and losing the week to a hurricane didn't help any), but I think the programs will adjust and continue to put out strong shows even with the limitations in place.

I think that means that the bands will start earlier with the fundamentals and with longer/more rehearsals before August first to make it easier for the band to work/clean their show when they are able to start putting the drill to the field. Also, if most of the school districts opt to make this change then I think the law will be adjusted to compensate.

I think that means that the bands will start earlier with the fundamentals and with longer/more rehearsals before August first to make it easier for the band to work/clean their show when they are able to start putting the drill to the field. Also, if most of the school districts opt to make this change then I think the law will be adjusted to compensate.

It'll be hard to do that with only 10 hours of marching fundamental time before August 1st.

I am surprised that there hasn't been any discussion on here of the recent calendar change by LISD.  They recently voted to have school start on Aug. 15, two weeks earlier than the traditional Aug. 27th.  With UIL rules that do not allow for practice before Aug 1. and the "eight hour rule" once school starts, I wonder how much this decision will impact the LISD bands?  Also, there is nearly a week of professional learning days that teachers must attend prior to the start of the school year, this could cut instruction time down just over one week before school starts.

News article here

Actually the change is going back to the way it was about ten years ago. Most schools started classes around the 18th of Aug. However the tourist industry did not like this so they pushed for the later school start date. I think that this situation will play out on the administrative side. I understand both sides of the issue, however I would not worry to much, This is Texas and we will find a way to make things work, even if some of the problems are of our own making. 

The reason why Texas bands (especially the best of the best) are so good is because they have to be INSANELY efficient with the time they are given. Losing one week of long rehearsals will definitely be a detriment, but I will be extremely surprised if there is any quality drop off at any level. Most likely, the LISD bands will have a bit less learned by the first contest. But honestly, I can't see this new schedule doing any substantive to the programs, directors, or kids.

• 2 weeks later...