we are officially 8 months away from the start of the BOA - Texas competitions

it will be some time before we know exactly who is going to compete where - so what do you know? share for the group if you have any inside info

Sept 22nd

• McAllen - this is a 3 year old event that has had new champions each year
  • Midland - this will be the second year in Midland - who is going?

Sept 29th

• Austin - we have to assume that the Austin and San Antonio big hitters will be there

Oct 6th

• DFW - can we assume that Marcus, FloMo, Hebron, LDBell to name a few
  • Houston - TWHS - of course - but will CTJ, Vandy, Reagan make the trek?

Oct 13th

• Waco - New BOA - who will make that trek? lots of DFW and Austin bands could fit logistically - but who will be there?

Anyone aware of Texas Bands going outside of the Lone Star state - St Louis SR 

who do we know is going to Grand Nats?

look forward to the conversation

Not many bands have their calendars out, but from what I’ve seen timber creek is planning on returning to midland, and vandegrift, coppell, and Keller central are planning on going to Waco, and Reagan will be back at Conroe- everything else I’ve seen is bands attending their local regionals, which is a given, or SA- also looks like (as of now) Richland might forgo BOA again. Also word on the street is CTJ will do Waco and grand nats in addition to SA and probably Austin

Not many bands have their calendars out, but from what I’ve seen timber creek is planning on returning to midland, and vandegrift, coppell, and Keller central are planning on going to Waco, and Reagan will be back at Conroe- everything else I’ve seen is bands attending their local regionals, which is a given, or SA- also looks like (as of now) Richland might forgo BOA again. Also word on the street is CTJ will do Waco and grand nats in addition to SA and probably Austin

CTJ will not be going to Grand Nats in 2018.

Really? That’s definitely a change from what some CTJ moms told me at BOA SA. They must’ve decided to postpone it another year or so. Perhaps a non state year, if they even care about that sort of thing.

From what we are hearing, it doesn't look like many Texas programs are going to Grand Nationals in 2018.  This is actually par for the course on even numbered years (6A State Years).  2016 was very much an outlier with six programs going to Nationals.  EVERYONE COME TO THE ALAMODOME, PLEASE!!!!!!

From a DFW resident I hope The Waco Regional gains some traction. It is in the middle of Houston, San Antonio/Austin, and Dallas. It would be great to see some of these bands go head to head prior to San Antonio. I would drive 21/2 hours to see LISD SOUTH VS LISD NORTH before SA. Woodlands, Johnson, Vandy vs Flomo, Hebron, Marcus.

It could be a great Regional if bands are willing to do the 2-3 hour drive. Being such a big state there isn’t enough cross pollination prior to SA. I hope bands from all over sign up.

I had the same initial thoughts as you on the Waco regional, but the more I thought about it, the more I changed my mind. I think the quality of this regional will come from how different it is from the existing regionals we already have. If we get too many of the "premier" bands coming to Waco, not only do I think it will be redundant and pointless, but it also might weaken the quality of the major metro regionals, which are a very important part of the marching band season right now. Many of the top bands such as the Lewisville ISD bands try to keep their shows as much of a surprise as possible. Part of their GE is the fact that the audience doesnt really know what to expect. I doubt that many bands like this are going to add another big regional where they would be competing against their major San Antonio competition, and if they did, it would be at the expense of competing at their other regional.

Now what I would love to see happen at Waco is a beefed up version of what we saw in Midland and McAllen last year. Get a bunch of the strong bands from the major metros who arent quite elite yet, but have good developing programs and let them compete together. Waco is a better location that can allow for more of this to happen. We can see more groups like Timber Creek and Dripping Springs making the trip and what I think will happen is that these bands will be able to compete at a quality event where they will gain experience, confidence (because it will be easier to make finals than at a stacked DFW or Austin regional), and overall the quality of marching band in Texas will continue to rise. We might end up getting more great rising programs like Hendrickson out of something like this.

Perhaps having a couple of elite programs is ok as well, but I dont want to see it become something huge like a mini SA.

Bands that I would love to see come:

Dripping Springs

Weiss

Rouse

Pfluggerville

Westwood

Waxahachie

Keller Central

Timber Creek

Martin

Birdville

Aledo

Prosper

Wakeland

James E Taylor

TW College Park

Clear Brook

Cy Fair

Cy Falls

Pearland

Oak Ridge

Friendswood

Georgetown

Hays

Clements

Berkner

I could go on but you all probably get the point.

I had the same initial thoughts as you on the Waco regional, but the more I thought about it, the more I changed my mind. I think the quality of this regional will come from how different it is from the existing regionals we already have. If we get too many of the "premier" bands coming to Waco, not only do I think it will be redundant and pointless, but it also might weaken the quality of the major metro regionals, which are a very important part of the marching band season right now. Many of the top bands such as the Lewisville ISD bands try to keep their shows as much of a surprise as possible. Part of their GE is the fact that the audience doesnt really know what to expect. I doubt that many bands like this are going to add another big regional where they would be competing against their major San Antonio competition, and if they did, it would be at the expense of competing at their other regional.

Now what I would love to see happen at Waco is a beefed up version of what we saw in Midland and McAllen last year. Get a bunch of the strong bands from the major metros who arent quite elite yet, but have good developing programs and let them compete together. Waco is a better location that can allow for more of this to happen. We can see more groups like Timber Creek and Dripping Springs making the trip and what I think will happen is that these bands will be able to compete at a quality event where they will gain experience, confidence (because it will be easier to make finals than at a stacked DFW or Austin regional), and overall the quality of marching band in Texas will continue to rise. We might end up getting more great rising programs like Hendrickson out of something like this.

Perhaps having a couple of elite programs is ok as well, but I dont want to see it become something huge like a mini SA.

Bands that I would love to see come:

Dripping Springs

Weiss

Rouse

Pfluggerville

Westwood

Waxahachie

Keller Central

Timber Creek

Martin

Birdville

Aledo

Prosper

Wakeland

James E Taylor

TW College Park

Clear Brook

Cy Fair

Cy Falls

Pearland

Oak Ridge

Friendswood

Georgetown

Hays

Clements

Berkner

I could go on but you all probably get the point.

The problem is that you mentioned not One Band from UIL Region 8 which is where Waco is located. I live in this Region and I also admit that the Class 5A & 6A Bands are not strong. However, we have a number of Decent 4A Bands and here is the thing. If BOA wants to get more schools involved they should go out like they did to Midland last year and to McAllen before.  To improve the Bands in Region 8 they should be the ones BOA is making this comtest for. No offense but the Austin Area and the Metroplex already have BOA contests. Lest try to improve the quality of one of our weaker areas by making BOA more affordable and available to these Schools 

Jeffrey, I hope that my comment wasnt misunderstood! I agree completely with you. I want the Waco regional to remain having a smaller, local school feeling to it, the way that Midland and McAllen are. I feel strongly that having the powerhouse bands from the major metros come squashes out that opportunity. However, to have some good quality, but not elite, bands make the trip is a good opportunity to improve the activity in the area and expose the local students to those good programs within a more competitive environment. We got to see some really cool bands stand out at these more remote regionals last year (I'm thinking in particular of Roma).

I would not suggest all of the bands I listed go at once, just that bands of that caliber and location would be great choices to make the trip. And some of them are not actually that far away, even within an hour or so. I specifically mentioned the ones that I did BECAUSE they are from the major metros to make my point that it would be cool for this to be an opportunity to see more of them that often go under the radar.

However with the comment that some of our strong Austin area bands already have it planned, it sounds like my wishes are not going to come to fruition.

From what we are hearing, it doesn't look like many Texas programs are going to Grand Nationals in 2018. This is actually par for the course on even numbered years (6A State Years). 2016 was very much an outlier with six programs going to Nationals. EVERYONE COME TO THE ALAMODOME, PLEASE!!!!!!

Yes, let’s light the dome on FIYAH!

From a DFW resident I hope The Waco Regional gains some traction. It is in the middle of Houston, San Antonio/Austin, and Dallas. It would be great to see some of these bands go head to head prior to San Antonio. I would drive 21/2 hours to see LISD SOUTH VS LISD NORTH before SA. Woodlands, Johnson, Vandy vs Flomo, Hebron, Marcus.

It could be a great Regional if bands are willing to do the 2-3 hour drive. Being such a big state there isn’t enough cross pollination prior to SA. I hope bands from all over sign up.

Ohhhh, LISD SOUTH VS LISD NORTH! I love it! Perhaps we could have our own contest one day. Battle Of The LISD’s. How awesome would that be?

Jeffrey, I hope that my comment wasnt misunderstood! I agree completely with you. I want the Waco regional to remain having a smaller, local school feeling to it, the way that Midland and McAllen are. I feel strongly that having the powerhouse bands from the major metros come squashes out that opportunity. However, to have some good quality, but not elite, bands make the trip is a good opportunity to improve the activity in the area and expose the local students to those good programs within a more competitive environment. We got to see some really cool bands stand out at these more remote regionals last year (I'm thinking in particular of Roma).

I would not suggest all of the bands I listed go at once, just that bands of that caliber and location would be great choices to make the trip. And some of them are not actually that far away, even within an hour or so. I specifically mentioned the ones that I did BECAUSE they are from the major metros to make my point that it would be cool for this to be an opportunity to see more of them that often go under the radar.

However with the comment that some of our strong Austin area bands already have it planned, it sounds like my wishes are not going to come to fruition.

as we have seen with these start up BOA regionals - there are a number of bigger bands that make the trip, not in an attempt to dominate, but in many ways to introduce the BOA style to those local bands - many of those local bands do not compete in BOA - I think this is why we also say the expansion of the field at the San Antonio SR - in the last 3 years we have seen a regional added to McAllen, Midland and now Waco - how many new members will this bring to the San Antonio SR?

time will tell