2018 BOA San Antonio?

Well looking at recaps for the two probably surprise bands out of finals for me (Bowie and Cedar Park) it looks like for Bowie they simply didn't quite get there across the board. They were close but just needed a little extra. Cedar Park seems to tell a different story as the performance captions are strong and would have them in finals but GE was just low. Like really low. Like 21st overall low while Music and Visual were 11th and 12th respectively.

They were both plenty good enough.

BOA owes Cedar Park and Bowie an apology. Nothing against LD Bell and Westlake, but they were in finals because of lucking into panel 1. Finals scores back that up. Either BOA needs to get their judging panels to be more consistent (not sure how you do that since they’re people and prone to subjective differences) or you cap the contest at 60 bands and go back to one panel over two days. What’s been communicated today is that luck is every bit as important as show design and skill. Cedar Park not getting to perform at Waco might have factored but Bowie’s trajectory all season has been higher than Bell, Westlake, even Cedar Ridge and Hendrickson. Both CP’s and Bowie’s prelims runs were plenty good enough. Nobody probably cares tho. I’m sure Dan won’t spend 5 seconds talking about it on the pod.

Maybe this applies to Bowie, but Cedar Park was in the same panel as Bell and Westlake. Couldn't be more fair of a comparison. Cedar Park really needs to take advantage of their 5A status to go out of the box on design during these 6A state years.

Maybe this applies to Bowie, but Cedar Park was in the same panel as Bell and Westlake. Couldn't be more fair of a comparison. Cedar Park really needs to take advantage of their 5A status to go out of the box on design during these 6A state years.

Dang it, you’re right: got my wires crossed on CP’s panel. I don’t have a personal stake in either program but have friends in both. Either way, BOA has some work to do. However the rules are tweaked for next year (and how could they not), I guess that’ll be the modern version of the “Hebron rule”? (maybe we’ll call it the “Bowie rule”?)

Just another meaningless tidbit, but I thought it was cool how Marcus' ballad arrangement was essentially identical to the one we played in 2003, long before the group ascended to the level they're at now. The mello soloist that year went on to be the mello soloist in Phantom Regiment's "Spartacus" production in 2008. Beast of a horn player.

45th is a pretty darn good placement at a contest like this. There are plenty of big names placing in the 30s and 40s (PESH, Wylie, Westwood, Weiss, Pflugerville, Keller Central, JET, Friendswood, Klein Oak etc.).

It’s good to see my school getting better every single year(: So proud of the work they’ve done

I think this result, more than ever, tells Round Rock that they need figure out how all these new bands surpassed them and learn from that. I know this might sound harsh, but if they desire to climb back up they simply cannot rely on the same techniques they have been using.  It's true that they have changed some things design wise, but something is still missing and I hope they can figure out what it is. Regardless of this result, I am still very proud that they advanced to State and I hope this fires them up to do well there. I apologize if this offends anyone, but simply put, this result is a testament that they are still very similar to 2011-2017 RR, and they need to  change even more if they hope to make finals at the SA's and GN's of the future. Some tough love but I'm saying this because I know they have it in them to improve. Good Luck! 

Eh, looking at the order of bands in panel 1 and panel 2, there may have been a /slight/ increase of scores for panel 1, but they really weren't that significant. There were still several bands from panel 2 in the top 7 and one of the last four was from panel 2 as well as the next out.

I dont think that the finalists we got were in any way unqualified to be there and MFA doesnt "owe anyone an apology".

I thought The Woodlands and Keller were much more comparable to the rest of the top half than the jump in score implies, but other than that I think the finals judges did a good job at ordering the bands.

Unfortunately this is what happens with the top 7/ bottom 7 split. It becomes very difficult to make up the gap because the scores tend to increase over the course of finals.

I think this result, more than ever, tells Round Rock that they need figure out how all these new bands surpassed them and learn from that. I know this might sound harsh, but if they desire to climb back up they simply cannot rely on the same techniques they have been using.  It's true that they have changed some things design wise, but something is still missing and I hope they can figure out what it is. Regardless of this result, I am still very proud that they advanced to State and I hope this fires them up to do well there. I apologize if this offends anyone, but simply put, this result is a testament that they are still very similar to 2011-2017 RR, and they need to  change even more if they hope to make finals at the SA's and GN's of the future. Some tough love but I'm saying this because I know they have it in them to improve. Good Luck! 

I agree. I know they've been going to GN every other year. I wonder if this result will change that. Maybe they need time to refocus. Do you happen to know who they used for their show design this year?

I agree. I know they've been going to GN every other year. I wonder if this result will change that. Maybe they need time to refocus. Do you happen to know who they used for their show design this year?

JB made the show but I can confirm he had left RR before the season began to my knowledge. I'm guessing they used the new techs to replace him, but I cannot confirm that portion. 

It also saddens be greatly to say, but I think the benefits of waiting a year to restructure may be for the better, and may cause them to cancel plans for GN's next year. I can't say what they will decide as I'm not apart of the band anymore but it is something I'm sure they will think very hard about. 

Texas Band is a lot like Texas weather - if you are not happy with it - wait a few hours- it will change.

i know we all say it every year about how insane this competition is, but I changed my mind a dozen times as I was watching finals - so many good programs and in a UIL State year - I expected it to be a a bit more reserved - NOT

Great shows all around - UIL State starts in about 30 hours and then it will be time for most of these programs to go back and decide what worked well - what was not so much.

The level of competition here in TX is insane. Is there any other state with a contest with this depth? So proud of all these kids and how hard they all worked. Every one of them.

Also, do we know which TX bands are making the trip to Grand Nats next year? 

there is a great deal of speculation that there could be a very big Texas contingent next year with only 1 going this year, and next year is not a 6A state year.

I don't think we will know till after the first of the year and much of that is kept secret until they can get support from parents, boosters and administration.

the cost remains an issue and some of the programs whose names have been tossed around already have commitments for thins like Rose Parade, Macy's Parade etc. or just not interested in the cost per student.

I would imagine that rather than go to grand nats - we may start to see more Texas bands venture out to other regionals or SR like St Louis - 2 Texas bands this year - both in finals and got to go up against Broken Arrow, Blue Springs, and many other bands that you would otherwise only see in Indy. slightly shorter trip and does not add to the end of the season - it is prior to BOA SA.

just my thoughts

More demographics - It looks like finals had six bands from the greater Austin area (Vista, Hendrickson, Cedar Ridge, Vandegrift, Leander, and Westlake), five from greater DFW area (FM, Hebron, Keller, Marcus, LD), two from San Antonio (CTJ, RR), and one from greater Houston (Woodlands).  

Other extremely useful observations:

-  The FloMarching stream must've shown the Rocket Mortgage ad about 700 times - and that was just a few hours of prelims.  I think a letter-writing campaign is in order.

-  The Alamodome snack shops closed before the ~1 hr exhibition and awards phase.  I would've paid at least $6 for a $5 bottle of Diet Pepsi.

-  Across Cherry street there is really convenient $10 parking and a not-too-bad Japanese restaurant.

-  It would be interesting to those amateur musicians among us to have a voice over of a typical show pointing out all the little flaws that result in deductions.  This is kind of like when a layperson watches Olympic gymnastics and the broadcaster explains why this gymnast gets a 9.875 and the other only got 9.750, causing the former to get the medal.

It's time to catch up or be left in the dust.

Your negative "opinion/attitude"  is neither wanted or necessary and not helpful in the least. .

As you grow up, you will find that not having a "filter" is not something to be proud of.

How you treat others will come back to you and let me tell you "Karma is a b**ch" 

Good luck to you in the future.

On a happy note!

Congratulations to all the other bands.  So proud of Westlake!  you guys deserved it, what a great show.