2018 6A State

4435 students in one high school?  WOW!  that is a small college campus.

It is a big red no-drive zone during morning rush too. Avoid at almost all costs! :D My office is about 2 miles from the school, with the school between the office and home. Fortunately there are ways that thread between TWHS and TWCP, although I do have to go by TWCA. That is a much smaller school with much less traffic impact.

TWHS is one of the 10 largest enrollments in Texas. Allen is over 6000 and is the largest. There are a few over 5000 like the 3 Plano schools (at least by UIL numbers, but as stated there is a Jr/Sr High split physically in PISD).

It is a big red no-drive zone during morning rush too. Avoid at almost all costs! :D My office is about 2 miles from the school, with the school between the office and home. Fortunately there are ways that thread between TWHS and TWCP, although I do have to go by TWCA. That is a much smaller school with much less traffic impact.

TWHS is one of the 10 largest enrollments in Texas. Allen is over 6000 and is the largest. There are a few over 5000 like the 3 Plano schools (at least by UIL numbers, but as stated there is a Jr/Sr High split physically in PISD).

Those numbers blow my mind.  Why have The Woodlands not built more schools to accommodate that growth?  It feels like Leander is building a new high school every year, though I know it's more like every 4 to 5 years. 

I'm also not familiar with TWCA.  Is that the TW Christian?  

Those numbers blow my mind.  Why have The Woodlands not built more schools to accommodate that growth?  It feels like Leander is building a new high school every year, though I know it's more like every 4 to 5 years. 

I'm also not familiar with TWCA.  Is that the TW Christian?  

Yes, TWCA is The Woodlands Christian Academy.

Conroe ISD has 6 main high schools: Conroe, The Woodlands, College Park, Oak Ridge, Caney Creek, and Grand Oaks. TWHS, as was mentioned, is quite large and designed for the numbers it currently accommodates (grades 10-12 only). Much of it is 3 floors. There is a video on youtube showing the school:

As an area, The Woodlands is very nearly built out (pop is pushing 120,000), so most of the growth is happening in other areas of the district (hence Grand Oaks). TWHS will probably not increase enrollment too much over the next few years, unless they change the boundaries to relieve TWCP or Oak Ridge again (these 3 are very close together - maybe 3 miles from TWHS to Oak Ridge, and TWCP is very roughly midway between). The Woodlands is a little weird, as it isn't incorporated so there is no city council or anything like that. It is a township, with plans to incorporate in the future. Political wrangling was necessary to keep it from being annexed by Houston.

Yes, TWCA is The Woodlands Christian Academy.

Conroe ISD has 6 main high schools: Conroe, The Woodlands, College Park, Oak Ridge, Caney Creek, and Grand Oaks. TWHS, as was mentioned, is quite large and designed for the numbers it currently accommodates (grades 10-12 only). Much of it is 3 floors. There is a video on youtube showing the school:

As an area, The Woodlands is very nearly built out (pop is pushing 120,000), so most of the growth is happening in other areas of the district (hence Grand Oaks). TWHS will probably not increase enrollment too much over the next few years, unless they change the boundaries to relieve TWCP or Oak Ridge again (these 3 are very close together - maybe 3 miles from TWHS to Oak Ridge, and TWCP is very roughly midway between). The Woodlands is a little weird, as it isn't incorporated so there is no city council or anything like that. It is a township, with plans to incorporate in the future. Political wrangling was necessary to keep it from being annexed by Houston.

Fascinating!  I did not know that The Woodlands was a township.  Or that all of those schools were part of the Conroe ISD.  It sounds like they are doing as much as they can to accommodate growth at this time.  How many kids are in the band at TWHS?  How about CP?  

Fascinating!  I did not know that The Woodlands was a township.  Or that all of those schools were part of the Conroe ISD.  It sounds like they are doing as much as they can to accommodate growth at this time.  How many kids are in the band at TWHS?  How about CP?  

We were around 320 this year, although I think that includes guard (40ish guard members) and props. CP I think was around 300, but that is a bigger guess on my part.

Pretty cool? I find that the fact that despite the extremely large depth of marching bands that Texas has, only two districts have won both 5a and 6a championships, boring and repetative. I'm ready for a new district to shine

Well it’s Leander ISDs first time to take 6A so I consider that fresh and not boring at all!

Pretty cool? I find that the fact that despite the extremely large depth of marching bands that Texas has, only two districts have won both 5a and 6a championships, boring and repetative. I'm ready for a new district to shine

Boring as a spectator sure, but as a music educator? The level of consistency in the success of the two districts is incredible to watch and its something I definitely don't want to see end.

As a member of the Vista Ridge community I consider getting our first ever competition win of any kind to be millions of miles away from boring.

The ability to put together winner shows year by year is far from boring... It is called consistency and I'd say mastery. These schools have been able to create programs that attract more students every year. Middle schoolers are counting the days until they can join their HS programs so the HS programs are well fed. Is not repetitive, is just a natural result of the efforts done over the period of years.

I'm sure other school districts will arrive sooner or later, they just need to take the steps in the right direction

It doesn't work like that. For one, you're ignoring the depth and level of these programs and the hard work they are putting into it. They are up there for a reason, not because they got money, or because they have props. They're there because they're working their butts off musically and in marching, if any other School/District took on the work these districts put in it would be no question that they would be up there too. Secondly, I don't see how seeing a winning show can be boring, it's literally the best show in the state.

It doesn't work like that. For one, you're ignoring the depth and level of these programs and the hard work they are putting into it. They are up there for a reason, not because they got money, or because they have props. They're there because they're working their butts off musically and in marching, if any other School/District took on the work these districts put in it would be no question that they would be up there too. Secondly, I don't see how seeing a winning show can be boring, it's literally the best show in the state.

This is correct, did anyone wonder why Carmel and Avon win BOA, but other Bands in IN Such as Ben Davis, Castle and other good Bands are not there. The reason is that these two Bands are the best. It is the same way in every State, BA in OK , DeSoto and Hernando in MS, Mason in OH, Desert Vista in AZ, I could go on for a long time with other situations. Fact is that the Best Bands win across the nation only at Grand Nationals does being the Best in your state turn out to not be good enough. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there. I'm new to this forum and had to create an account so I could chime in.

Let's not get (1) "The ability to put together winner shows year by year is far from boring" confused with (2) performing a winning show created by someone else.

This year, no doubt, Vista Ridge was the hottest band on the circuit. They brought it - hands down. They were, BY FAR, the most improved band in the state - culminating with the 6A state win.

But lets remember where show themes come from. They are either (1) original - completely original or somewhat original or (2) a rehashed version of someone else's originality.

VR's show was very tightly copied from Hendrickson's 2015 "Lost" - from the spinning compass right down to Amazing Grace. Not to mention the version of "Lost" the Boston Crusader's did in 2018 - again, right down to Amazing Grace.

Great ideas never die away, they just get recycled - or in some cases sold to other bands to redo on their own.

VR marched their socks off - don't get me wrong, it was spectacular. I am not hating on VR. I loved their show each time I saw it.

But to put those bands in the same category as bands who create winning shows year after year is a stretch. Let's not forget VR's 2017 sled dog race show. Just an overall bad idea.

Having the creativity to come up with a great fresh show idea every year is a rare talent - most bands don't have that luxury.

If you want to see a recent example of bands buying/stealing/reusing someone's else's originality, take a look at Hendrickson's 2017 show "Just Another Brick". This show was highly original and creative.

Go to You Tube and search "2018 high school band just another brick" and see how many high schools took Hendrickson's originality and recycled it just 1 year later.

On the alter of originality, I must confess that someone told me about the "brick" story - so it wasn't originality on my part. I just thought it was a perfect story for my post.

Thanks for letting me chime in.