2018 6A State

I’m a little late to the party, but let me add just one more...WOW! Vista. Freaking. Ridge. I’ve been saving that ‘wow’ because I’ve been pondering a lot of thoughts that I’ve held on to throughout the season that I felt like trying to put into coherent thoughts, namely revolving around-

1. How does a band that had spent most of its 15 years as a fringe finalist at most big competitions, had never finished in the top 20 of a 6A/5A UIL State completion, and had only (barely) made one BOA SA finals appearance (in a year in which I think they missed Austin finals mind you), put together a season as iconic as what we just witnessed?

2. Will this be a flash in the pan kind of season with a one of a kind show where we see VR take a step down next season, or is this a whole new Vista powerhouse that is here to stay?

Now the second question we obviously won’t know much about for a year (but I have a hunch), and it’s probably too early to think about it before celebrating that victory more. But the 1st one I’ve thought about a lot.

I’ve often compared this show (in my head) to Phantom ‘08. It’s a show that may not be the hardest, and may not be he cleanest, but it’s so darn moving and so well assembled that it was unbelievably easy to forgive a hiccup or 2, and you’re so busy being sucked into the show, that difficulty is the last thing on your mind. Phantom rode that wave of fan support to a championship, and Vista just did the exact same thing (look at their weekend - 7th-4th-2nd-1st). I like to compare it to what makes a good movie. For the best cinema in the world, you end up forgetting you’re watching a movie while watching it, only to be snapped out of the trance once the credits role. That’s how this show felt. For 8 minutes, the rest of the world didn’t matter. All that mattered, was the “Vista. Ridge. Ranger. Band.”

And the hype started slowly. As is typical, LISD south had their early season videos out before anyone else. I said something along the lines of Leander and Vandegrift looking unstoppable (and I believe I correctly predicted a Vandy medal), and may have tagged on that Vista looked “pretty good” too. It looked to be shaping up to be another year where the heavy hitters would keep hitting, and Vista would be looking to get over a hump and into finals. And then the show started to come together. Props started to appear. Uniforms made their debut, and Vista actually kept a bit more quiet than typical (posted less early season videos) up until BOA Austin. And then the secret was unveiled...

The Lost Chorale, that finally broke the typical “solo-buildup-turn and blow” that had become a staple of Vista openers to date, and instead grabbed your attention in a very nuanced way. The main opener, that said “we’re about to take you on an emotional journey, but we’re gonna show off some ridiculous technique while doing so.” And then that ballad. When I heard this ballad the first time, that’s when I knew this wasn’t your average Vista Ridge band. This was something else entirely. I honestly can’t name many memorable VR ballads over the years, but this one will stick in my head for a long time. The movement throughout is so subtle, but so intentional. The backfield chords are so haunting, and this is the part I probably regret the most that I live so far away and could never experience live. The sax/flugelhorn hand-off was NAILS every. single. time. And then the groove movement, which in my mind was Vista saying - we’ve arrived. Deal with it. The attitude in this part is just beaming, even through streams.

All of that was enough to get them up with the big dogs at BOA Austin, finally breaking into the top half. But it’s the closer that ties all the magic together. In other iterations of amazing grace on the field, there tends to be a lot of flowing mello runs, or nifty glissandos, but the version Vista does is just pure in your face brass. I think what makes this even more powerful is that there isn’t a lot of big long sustained notes throughout the show, so this moment feels like a true destination that everything has been building to(maybe like they were found...or something). And I don’t think any ending would’ve completed this show more than the push to the company front.

But obviously we’ve all gushed about this show plenty this year, so what I also want to delve into (if you’ve made it this far), is what other bands will take away from this show. And what’s crazy is, This show wasn’t able to do what it did because it was super progressive, or pushed the boundaries of marching band. We’re not talking Bluecoats 2016 here. What this show I believe will teach other bands, is the power of a design team where every single designed element and moment in the show is intentional and integrated. Every drill move is tied to the music, every visual is designed for maximum impact. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in these design meetings, because this team put it ALL together. 

Vista obviously hinged a lot of their success this year on their visual package. They won the visual caption at BOA Austin, did pretty well in that category at boa SA, and swept the visual judges in area and state finals. Hinshaw's been doing Vista’s drill for a few years now, but I’ve personally felt like they’ve gotten a little bit of his b-side drill compared to what he has done with Avon in the past. This year was a whole other story. This was classic Hinshaw, where every set is intentional and had purpose. It’s also drill that looks good, without being too exposed to tiny mistakes. Combine that with a new director from Grain Valley, and maybe the lesson here is - people from outside Texas get marching more than we do? It’s well known that Texas bands generally struggle at the top level in winning visual captions in national events. Maybe we just need a bit more of an influence from them? I'm mostly joking, but seriously, the off season hire obviously played major dividends, show design aside. This band moved with more precision and more confidence than it ever had come close to in the past. Having a growing color guard that is finally becoming a force doesn’t hurt either. The move back to a color guard from a dance team was risky one that led to a couple rough years, but it’s definitely paying off now.

I actually don't think Vista changed too much from their usual musical formula (other than the surprisingly mature ballad and gentle opening). They've always done a good job of integrating music that is recognizable and often seen on the field, with unique music that I don't think anyone has ever put on the field. Ryan George has often done an amazing job at this (And on a side note I'm just now realizing he did the Boston Crusaders show that is often compared thematically to this one and who ALSO had a big season...what a year for him). The biggest difference, as some have pointed out as criticism, is the large number of solos in this show. I agree, they probably had more solos than most...but it's the layering of these solos into the ebb and flow of this show that was done to perfection. The trade-off of the trombone solo. The way the soprano solo soars over the band in the ballad. The way that these solos are featured visually, not just with the props, but with the way the band/guard directs focus to them. And the fact that these soloists were SO FREAKING GOOD. Sure, solos mean the whole band isn't playing as often as others, but these solos fit so well into the show that it's really hard to criticize them. 

But what this mostly tells other bands of course is that it just takes a collaborative design effort to create an integrated theme and a dedication and commitment to performing the heck out of that theme to make this kind of leap. What makes this jump so unprecedented, is that when you see these sudden rises to contention, it’s usually bands that are new and, after good years during the time that the school is filling out, they finally get a full band and emerge as much anticipated contenders. Vista ridge has been around for 15 years. This isn’t a band that grew up into contention. It’s a band that made a few adjustments to staff and how they approach a show design and finally emerged from the thick of “good bands” in Texas to one of the greats. There’s a whole slew of bands that finished in the 15-30 range that can certainly be truly inspired by this, in thinking it isn’t impossible for next year to be special, just like Vista’s was. I think this was the parody TX bands has lacked the past few years. It’s been generally the same finalists and the same medalists for the past 5+ years, and it’s been even worse at UIL. Texas marching band is more fun when there are surprises and the season is full of the unexpected. There are plenty of diamonds in the rough that sometimes just takes a little push in the right direction to be found. Expect more of that next year.

That went on a lot longer than I initially set out for...The fact that I had all that to say about a marching band show is probably more of a testament to how good this show was than anything i said about it...what a season! Let’s hope this motivates them to finally make the leap to grand nationals. It’s time to introduce themselves to Indianapolis! This will be a show that I will always regret never seeing live. But I thank everyone here for painting the picture for me so vividly. As I mentioned before, this has been an unbelievably active season for this board, and I love it! 

Wow, great write up.  If you can make it Friday to Cedar Park, they are performing it one more time.   My goodness the stands maybe fuller than I have ever seen them.

BTW, there will be a football game opening for the band :-)

Wow, what a wonderful wall of words to read. I appreciate your insights.

If you can somehow make it to Cedar Park tomorrow night, there is one more chance to see the show live!

If I wasn't a thousand miles away, I'd be there in a heartbeat. What an amazing environment that will be!

Can't wait to move back to Texas in a couple years!

There has been a great deal of concern expressed about UIL scoring, accountability, and whether or not UIL leadership is also concerned or even interested. I know the head of UIL Judging and I can assure you they are extremely concerned. However, UIL is not a dictatorship. When it comes to changing rules, it's more like a democracy. In fact you could argue it even has similarities to an electoral college. In the spring a presentation will be made to all the Directors regarding proposed changes. The significant opposition to change is coming from Directors, not leadership. The presentation will not be everything UIL leadership wants. It will represent a compromise they hope will pass. A Director from a small school with a handful of kids in their band program that never achieves a Division I rating at the Region level will have the same vote as the Director of Allen High School, representing over 700 band kids, or the Directors of the SMBC Finalist. Maybe that's fair or maybe not. Either way that's how it works.

Blaming "UIL" for this is a bit too nonspecific. This issue is squarely in the hands of the Directors. They need to stop complaining and start influencing!

Do you know if your Director plans to vote for change? What have they done to persuade others, particularly at small schools, to also support change? Have they told Directors who are resistant to change the stories of bands negatively affected by judging deviations? Have they listened to the concerns of those small school Directors and helped them overcome misunderstandings regarding how change will affect them? Have they mentored those Directors through the changes that will affect them?

You want accountability? It start with Directors. I have a question for all of you. What is your Director doing about this?

To determine what to expect look at each of the 33 Regions of UIL and match the number of High Schools in the Region  with how many schools go to BOA Or US Bands vs those that do not go. Also look at the numbers of students in each school and the percentage enrolled in Bands.  These decisions are not just in music, but in all areas of UIL Activity.  To make things work, both sides of issues have to talk things out, neither of which in my opinion have been willing to do on a frequent basis.  

I know the head of UIL Judging and I can assure you they are extremely concerned. However, UIL is not a dictatorship. When it comes to changing rules, it's more like a democracy. In fact you could argue it even has similarities to an electoral college. In the spring a presentation will be made to all the Directors regarding proposed changes. The significant opposition to change is coming from Directors, not leadership. The presentation will not be everything UIL leadership wants. It will represent a compromise they hope will pass. 

Blaming "UIL" for this is a bit too nonspecific. This issue is squarely in the hands of the Directors.

This is key information.   I am not so certain that the directors are the ones complaining.   I am a parent.  Most complainers are parents of students who were impacted by the current issues.   However, if your information is correct, then the grass roots opportunity is to launch an awareness campaign to all Tx band directors.  Make them aware of the concern, issues, and possible solutions.   Explain to them that collectively, they can change the judging system for the better of all bands.  My son's senior year dream is a casualty of this.  Ship has sailed.  But we can do our part to prevent the same happening to the next kid.    That's the tough thing about high school competition - by the time it impacts your kid, you kid is moving on to college.  

BTW, all the comments about "next year" that I saw in this thread.   Well, that only works for 50% of the audience.  There is only UIL state every two years.   Two classes will graduate before that band gets another shot.   Thus, this year's event scoring issue robbed two classes worth of RRHS band students the opportunity to reach their goal.    I get that the ship has sailed, but "next year" and "next time" comments do not console nor apply.  

To determine what to expect look at each of the 33 Regions of UIL and match the number of High Schools in the Region with how many schools go to BOA Or US Bands vs those that do not go. Also look at the numbers of students in each school and the percentage enrolled in Bands. These decisions are not just in music, but in all areas of UIL Activity. To make things work, both sides of issues have to talk things out, neither of which in my opinion have been willing to do on a frequent basis.

I've previously tried to discuss this politely with you and repeatedly asked you to stay on topic and to stop trying to undermine the discussion with logical fallacies and misdirection. We all understand your concerns about the small schools because we are actually paying attention to what is being said. Clearly you are not. You are symbolic of the fearful, misinformed, closed-minded Directors who are preventing progress and would have UIL disappear into irrelevant obscurity. I will give you credit that you often provide interesting information and personal stories but it's also often completely irrelevant to the topic of discussion and therefore meaningless and unhelpful. I'm going to try again and I'm going to be direct this time because you still aren't paying attention. (Sorry, Dan, I've tried very hard.)

STOP TALKING ABOUT BOA. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT UIL!

Got it? Okay, let's try again and keep in mind most of us like having some difference between UIL and BOA. Understanding that alone should help you better understand and participate meaningfully in this group discussion. Most of us don't want to turn UIL into BOA and most of the 5A and 6A Directors don't want too either. What would be the point of having two identical contests separated by a single day?

People are primarily upset about scoring deviation and therefore the credibility of UIL advancements from Area to the SMBC, by extension advancement to SMBC Finals, and ultimately Finals placements. They are not asking for UIL to immediately convert to BOA Judging Criteria. Please stop acting like they are. It seems most people aren't even upset about who made Finals at the SMBC. The issue for most is how someone was excluded, not that they were excluded. (Some Area competitions were more complicated.) In either case, we need consistency within UIL, not with BOA, in order to have credibility and that requires clarity.

Period.

This can not be delayed further if the UIL circuit is to remain vibrant and relevant. And...it can be done without addressing major changes that include more abstract concepts like General Effect. Clarity. That's the immediate priority.

You think I'm wrong about the urgency of the situation? Bands are already choosing to skip the SMBC. I've also witnessed more than one conversation before Area and the SMBC where the topic was whether it is more prestigious to win the UIL Texas State Championship or BOA San Antonio Super Regional. The answer is not clear yet but the trend in the conversation is. Credibility matters. So does difficulty and innovation.

Another day or in another thread we can debate how to modernize UIL Judging Criteria because the choice between relevance and obscurity is coming quickly. If the current trends continue, as you support them, in your lifetime the only bands left at UIL may be very small and marching basic military drill while playing Pop Goes The Weasel because they couldn't take the risk of playing a Sousa March as originally composed. That would leave them open to someone making a mistake when the Judging Criteria already has a strong bias toward flawless execution of the simple instead of excellent execution of the difficult. Good luck with that. Some have also said DCI is "exerting pressure" on other marching circuits to "convert" but that completely misreads the situation. Kids love DCI. That's called influence and if you want kids to stay involved, you better pay attention.

Instead let's stick with the current issue and your objections. You keep talking about how many small schools there are and how they outnumber the large schools. I'm going to ask you to be logically consistent and look at the other side of the coin. Have you ever considered how the total number of band kids at the large schools compare to the combined total of band kids at all the small schools? You claim to represent a majority but it's all in the way you choose to define it. In addition the underdog you want to protect isn't even participating under the system you claim protects them. The 2A SMBC had 17 bands. Not Finalist, 17 total competing bands. How many kids is that? How does it compare to the level of involvement, by either number of schools or students, in the 6A SMBC? That doesn't even count 4A. You want to include 4A among your small schools? Why? It seems disingenuous considering there are six classifications in Texas and I would divide them in half, but go ahead. It doesn't really dilute my point.

You also consistently argue that it's not fair for small schools to have to compete against the large schools. Are you kidding me?!? Are you still confusing BOA and UIL? We're talking about UIL and I didn't see a single 2A Marching Band among the 41 competitors at the 6A SMBC. Additionally, while I did see some other 6A parents at the 2A SMBC, none of the 6A Marching Bands took the field. So please stop spouting this fallacious nonsense. At best, your concern is based on misunderstanding, or perhaps delusion, but different school size classifications don't compete against each other under UIL Judging Criteria. Nobody is suggesting that should change.

Next is money. You're always going on about money so let's address it again. I'll start with a big school first. Did Vista Ridge win some kind of Fine Arts lottery that accounts for their amazing improvement in one year? No. But they did go in a new direction with basically the same money and most of the same kids. (Hint: That's a dog whistle for new Director. The right Directors and staff, starting at the Intermediate School level are the first step in cracking the code to the eternal question, "Why is it always the same Bands?" We'll find out soon enough if this one knows the whole code but his actions this year indicate he may.) "But it's different at a 1A school", you keep insisting. It sure is. In fact, it's so different they really can't afford to spend a dime on a real marching program. Music education is important, so focus on your concert program and let them play in the stands at football games. Sounds extreme but I went to an isolated medium-sized California school that did that and it works well. Consider the financial reality at 1A. That's a school with about 100 students, probably less. If you want a class size of 20 students you can staff a big 1A school with 5 teachers. Now think of just the classes required for graduation in Texas. How do you competently cover that with just 5 teachers? Next consider everything else a kid should be learning to be prepared for life and higher education in the 21st century. A 6th teacher is looking like a better investment than a marching program. Hard choices are required at the 1A level. These kids are already sentenced to a 19th century education and you think keeping the whole Texas Marching Arts program there too is going to make a difference for them?!? No, thank you. It doesn't get much better at the 2A level. Your real issues are with the Texas school finance system, not UIL Marching Competition rules. Please stop being an obstructionist here. These schools should have higher priorities than the UIL Marching Competition rules too and if the rules change they will still be in the same boat, still competing with the other small schools with the same challenges, so nobody will be at a disadvantage.

Going to a small school is a mixed bag of advantages and disadvantages. Big schools are too. Don't begrudge the other schools advantages or force them to conform to the disadvantages of your school. It just makes a mess for everyone. Be fair. Figure out which one best fits the values of your family and then enjoy your choice. And remember, you can always change your mind and move if you're ready to shoulder the burden of the new disadvantages too. (Yes, this time I'm speaking to the larger audience still raising kids. Or even more importantly, any lurking Directors.)

Is anyone still with me? I'm sorry that this probably wasn't my finest hour and hopefully this is viewed as more informative, thought provoking, and persuasive, than angry rant. That was my intention.

I've previously tried to discuss this politely with you and repeatedly asked you to stay on topic and to stop trying to undermine the discussion with logical fallacies and misdirection. We all understand your concerns about the small schools because we are actually paying attention to what is being said. Clearly you are not. You are symbolic of the fearful, misinformed, closed-minded Directors who are preventing progress and would have UIL disappear into irrelevant obscurity. I will give you credit that you often provide interesting information and personal stories but it's also often completely irrelevant to the topic of discussion and therefore meaningless and unhelpful. I'm going to try again and I'm going to be direct this time because you still aren't paying attention. (Sorry, Dan, I've tried very hard.)

STOP TALKING ABOUT BOA. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT UIL!

Got it? Okay, let's try again and keep in mind most of us like having some difference between UIL and BOA. Understanding that alone should help you better understand and participate meaningfully in this group discussion. Most of us don't want to turn UIL into BOA and most of the 5A and 6A Directors don't want too either. What would be the point of having two identical contests separated by a single day?

People are primarily upset about scoring deviation and therefore the credibility of UIL advancements from Area to the SMBC, by extension advancement to SMBC Finals, and ultimately Finals placements. They are not asking for UIL to immediately convert to BOA Judging Criteria. Please stop acting like they are. It seems most people aren't even upset about who made Finals at the SMBC. The issue for most is how someone was excluded, not that they were excluded. (Some Area competitions were more complicated.) In either case, we need consistency within UIL, not with BOA, in order to have credibility and that requires clarity.

Period.

This can not be delayed further if the UIL circuit is to remain vibrant and relevant. And...it can be done without addressing major changes that include more abstract concepts like General Effect. Clarity. That's the immediate priority.

You think I'm wrong about the urgency of the situation? Bands are already choosing to skip the SMBC. I've also witnessed more than one conversation before Area and the SMBC where the topic was whether it is more prestigious to win the UIL Texas State Championship or BOA San Antonio Super Regional. The answer is not clear yet but the trend in the conversation is. Credibility matters. So does difficulty and innovation.

Another day or in another thread we can debate how to modernize UIL Judging Criteria because the choice between relevance and obscurity is coming quickly. If the current trends continue, as you support them, in your lifetime the only bands left at UIL may be very small and marching basic military drill while playing Pop Goes The Weasel because they couldn't take the risk of playing a Sousa March as originally composed. That would leave them open to someone making a mistake when the Judging Criteria already has a strong bias toward flawless execution of the simple instead of excellent execution of the difficult. Good luck with that. Some have also said DCI is "exerting pressure" on other marching circuits to "convert" but that completely misreads the situation. Kids love DCI. That's called influence and if you want kids to stay involved, you better pay attention.

Instead let's stick with the current issue and your objections. You keep talking about how many small schools there are and how they outnumber the large schools. I'm going to ask you to be logically consistent and look at the other side of the coin. Have you ever considered how the total number of band kids at the large schools compare to the combined total of band kids at all the small schools? You claim to represent a majority but it's all in the way you choose to define it. In addition the underdog you want to protect isn't even participating under the system you claim protects them. The 2A SMBC had 17 bands. Not Finalist, 17 total competing bands. How many kids is that? How does it compare to the level of involvement, by either number of schools or students, in the 6A SMBC? That doesn't even count 4A. You want to include 4A among your small schools? Why? It seems disingenuous considering there are six classifications in Texas and I would divide them in half, but go ahead. It doesn't really dilute my point.

You also consistently argue that it's not fair for small schools to have to compete against the large schools. Are you kidding me?!? Are you still confusing BOA and UIL? We're talking about UIL and I didn't see a single 2A Marching Band among the 41 competitors at the 6A SMBC. Additionally, while I did see some other 6A parents at the 2A SMBC, none of the 6A Marching Bands took the field. So please stop spouting this fallacious nonsense. At best, your concern is based on misunderstanding, or perhaps delusion, but different school size classifications don't compete against each other under UIL Judging Criteria. Nobody is suggesting that should change.

Next is money. You're always going on about money so let's address it again. I'll start with a big school first. Did Vista Ridge win some kind of Fine Arts lottery that accounts for their amazing improvement in one year? No. But they did go in a new direction with basically the same money and most of the same kids. (Hint: That's a dog whistle for new Director. The right Directors and staff, starting at the Intermediate School level are the first step in cracking the code to the eternal question, "Why is it always the same Bands?" We'll find out soon enough if this one knows the whole code but his actions this year indicate he may.) "But it's different at a 1A school", you keep insisting. It sure is. In fact, it's so different they really can't afford to spend a dime on a real marching program. Music education is important, so focus on your concert program and let them play in the stands at football games. Sounds extreme but I went to an isolated medium-sized California school that did that and it works well. Consider the financial reality at 1A. That's a school with about 100 students, probably less. If you want a class size of 20 students you can staff a big 1A school with 5 teachers. Now think of just the classes required for graduation in Texas. How do you competently cover that with just 5 teachers? Next consider everything else a kid should be learning to be prepared for life and higher education in the 21st century. A 6th teacher is looking like a better investment than a marching program. Hard choices are required at the 1A level. These kids are already sentenced to a 19th century education and you think keeping the whole Texas Marching Arts program there too is going to make a difference for them?!? No, thank you. It doesn't get much better at the 2A level. Your real issues are with the Texas school finance system, not UIL Marching Competition rules. Please stop being an obstructionist here. These schools should have higher priorities than the UIL Marching Competition rules too and if the rules change they will still be in the same boat, still competing with the other small schools with the same challenges, so nobody will be at a disadvantage.

Going to a small school is a mixed bag of advantages and disadvantages. Big schools are too. Don't begrudge the other schools advantages or force them to conform to the disadvantages of your school. It just makes a mess for everyone. Be fair. Figure out which one best fits the values of your family and then enjoy your choice. And remember, you can always change your mind and move if you're ready to shoulder the burden of the new disadvantages too. (Yes, this time I'm speaking to the larger audience still raising kids. Or even more importantly, any lurking Directors.)

Is anyone still with me? I'm sorry that this probably wasn't my finest hour and hopefully this is viewed as more informative, thought provoking, and persuasive, than angry rant. That was my intention.

Your main point about money; that’s why I personally believe that UIL the way it is should stay. Because there’s such a huge disparity between different schools in Texas not only in terms of ability, but in terms of resources, and no real way to fix it, UIL is one of the only things that caters to everybody. The goals are very clear, and for the most part, it is pretty consistent. There are outliers, but everyone has to deal with them from time to time, and if I’m being honest, no matter what changes are made, someone will always be left feeling cheated.

Calling for reform would fundamentally change UIL and right now I personally believe we need to appreciate the difference that UIL has come to represent as the marching arts has evolved, and take it for what it is.

Proud Cedar Ridge band mom here. We placed 11th in prelims with a 9:15am prelim time. The Woodlands placed 12th with an even earlier prelim time. Not easy to do! Let’s not pretend performance time doesn’t factor into scores as well. As a result, there will never be a perfect system that makes everyone happy. We definitely know the disappointment of placing 13th in State prelims (2016) but I feel that disappointment is partially responsible for our growth the past few years. Couldn’t be prouder of our kids for making history this year. Well deserved in my opinion. Congrats to all the TX bands for another fabulous season. We all weathered the storm together!

Cedar Ridge has had their best season yet this year!! So excited for their continued growth, and I really hope they go back to Indy soon!

Cedar Ridge has had their best season yet this year!! So excited for their continued growth, and I really hope they go back to Indy soon!

I would say their best season was 2013. That show literally made me cry.

Vista Ridge will be performing Lost and Found one last time this Friday at Halftime  (Gupton Stadium, Cedar Park Texas).   Kind of cool that the current 5A and 6A state champ's share the same stadium!

Round Rock is playing Vista Ridge at this game.  I am excited to get to watch VR Ranger Band do their home game final run.   As my son commented frequently after UIL competition, "That flugelhorn solo is like butter.  Rich, creamy and smooooth!"   Yep, musical perfection among so many other examples in that show.    Round Rock's JV band will march, so we will no longer see their competition show.   

Round Rock is playing Vista Ridge at this game.  I am excited to get to watch VR Ranger Band do their home game final run.   As my son commented frequently after UIL competition, "That flugelhorn solo is like butter.  Rich, creamy and smooooth!"   Yep, musical perfection among so many other examples in that show.    Round Rock's JV band will march, so we will no longer see their competition show.   

awww, I was hoping to see the Dragon Band (varsity) show one more time!!

And your son is right.  That solo was SO SMOOTH!!  All of the VR solos were fantastic this year.  As well as that awesome Round Rock trumpet soloist.  ;-)