2018 6A State

I was going to say the exact same thing as far as a fix for UIL widely varying results go. Add two more judges and drop the lowest and highest scores. Seems so simple.

Adding onto what Jeffrey said about what if the lowest and highest score were the same category, what if you added 2 judges to both panels and then dropped the lowes and highest score on each panel? My only issue I can see why that is just that dropping 4 out of 11 judges scores seems ridiculous, and that's a lot of judges to hire, especially at the area level.

I also believe UIL should stop allowing areas to hire their own judges, area is usually where spreads and arguable bias is the worse, and I'm sure the fact that areas pick their own judges, sometimes the same ones year after year, contributes to that.

Continuing about the drop high/low...

It would be easy if all the judges were judging the same thing.  They are not  Each judge is looking at something specific.

Trying to attach the UIL judging sheet (it is blank) http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/Area:State_CS.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2l69h1kyTW9aZjdAQjfme-tLqS7QCSN3xfzAA8ufB3fhNPKmqCIvYiB6M

Continuing about the drop high/low...

It would be easy if all the judges were judging the same thing. They are not Each judge is looking at something specific.

The issue with that is asking the judge to judge the band as a whole is a lot to ask out of them, watching 41 bands a day focusing on one aspect is tough enough, and you're bound to lose focus or make some mistakes in judgement already. Forcing judges to analyze every aspect of the band would only make spreads wrose and judging less accurate. It works for region because you're only being judged to see if you meet a standard, but at area/state the split in music and marching is necessary.

Any idea how much it costs to have a judge? There is flights, hotels, meals, rental car, and compensation. Based on business travel I do. The first three probably account for at least $1000.

I know that "Judges and Secretary salaries" in my region account for over $100k of total disbursements this year. The financial statements are publicly available, might be fun to comb through them sometime.

Any idea how much it costs to have a judge?  There is flights, hotels, meals, rental car, and compensation.   Based on business travel I do.  The first three probably account for at least $1000.

Probably around $1000. You are talking about though 9 different areas which currently staff 45 judges (5 judges) just for one classification. In a year like this (6A/4A/2A) that is 3 different sites so just 15 judges for one area. 

Payment is typically around $325 plus $30/hr for overtime and yes flights, hotels, meals, mileage if they drive, rental cars. So it adds up.

This is covered by the bands entry fees to the contest, which then would mean an increase in bands entry fees for these contests to cover the increased costs. 

Region 18 entry fees for 5A/6A groups was $395 per band

https://www.uilmusicregion18.com/uploads/1/3/5/3/13535811/region18_2018-2019-entry_fees-approved.pdf

Then an additional $250 for Area fees for the bands that advance, then $500 for state entry fees (so I wonder if they pay the judges at state more).

Each region/area may be different in the amount they charge bands but here for a band that makes it to state they will spend $1,145 in entry fees alone.

And to give you an idea of how much money a region will spend on judges, I found this financial report from region 18 that shows Judges' Honorariums & Expenses of $86,829.45.  Now that would include solo and ensemble judges, and UIL Concert & Sightreading judges on top of the marching judges...but none the less that was the largest line item expense for that region:

https://www.uilmusicregion18.com/uploads/1/3/5/3/13535811/region18_2017-2018_financial_report.pdf

Adding judges seems like it could be a tall order...but hey if bands are willing to pay more for entry fees then I'm sure it is possible. But schools already get so little from the state of Texas and on today this being election day, it is even more vital that we tell our legislators and all elected state officials that we need them to be better about financially supporting the public schools in this state.

Just to get this back on topic...4 minutes until we resume the 6A State Contest. Looking forward to watching some really good groups.

Having a full night to think this over, it still hurts to think we placed as low as 23rd, but at the end of the day, all we can say is that those kids performed their hearts out and they should be proud of themselves for even making the state contest, because it's not easy to do. For anyone that's not happy with their placements, just remember that even qualifying for the state contest makes your band one of the best in Texas, and that is a prestigious honor in and of itself.

And for every band that made finals, today is your chance to prove that your band is the best in Texas. Go perform your hearts out, and make your last performance an unforgettable one.

Feel fortunate On

Fair almost didn't get out preliminaries with that stellar group of judges. The fix was in

A thought about Round Rocks situation. In the Prelims they were placed near the end between VISTA RIDGE in front of them and FLOWER MOUND in back of them.   This position is very difficult to handle for any Band. Directors will tell you that you prefer to be in back of a Band that is not as good as you are.    The Band in back can be as good as you are, however not a World Beater.  The Judges had already looked at 38 Bands and then you Get Vista Ridge(Outstanding performance), then Comes Round Rock(even if the performance was worthy of a 10th place and finals position, being human they are not as good as Vista Ridge.   Following them is Flower Mound who has just dominated BOA on Saturday.  I know from experience myself while in marching Contests in HS we were always well aware of who was in front of us and who was behind us. When we knew we were better than the Band in front of us, we had a very strong KILLER Instinct. If the Band in Back of us Was Arcadia(the CA answer to LD Bell, Marcus, Ronald Reagan Cedar Park, Duncanville, you get the idea) we knew they would beat us no matter what we did. 

While Judges are supposed to be totally impartial, I know of no place or circuit that does not have situations where a Power Band will make it more difficult for the Band in front of them because of their dominating performance. THE DRAW WAS BAD FOR ROUND ROCK THIS TIME.