2018 6A State

Preliminary history book post:

• Second cycle in a row that a band completely new to 6A makes state finals! And they join the band that did it the prior time. Congrats Waxahachie! The 5As can play with the big boys just fine!
  • Along with Waxahachie, Vista Ridge and Cedar Ridge are also first time 6A state finalists! Additionally, this is Cedar Ridge's first time in state finals in any class. They are the only completely new band in this group.
  • Marcus now has the longest streak of state finals appearances of any band here. 2006 on. They have a long, long way to go though to get to a record. Thank Westfield for that.
  • Eight of the bands repeated from last year. 11 repeated from BOA San Antonio this weekend. I have a hunch it would have been 12 if Waxahachie attended.
  • This year marks the first time three Leander ISD schools have made 6A state finals. Fully, 2/3 of that school district has now made the top class's UIL state finals. The only district with a better ratio than theirs is Lewisville ISD, with 4/5 having ever made it. And of course, both LISDs make up half of finals.
  • EDIT: adding that Vandegrift and Flower Mound have never missed state finals on any year of advancement to the SMBC. This might also be true for Waxahachie but I'm too lazy to dig that deep sorry.

Others to come when prelims results are fully released.

Results y'all (Top 31)

1. Flower Mound
  2. Vista Ridge
  3. Vandegrift
  4. CTJ
  5. Hebron
  6. Ronald Reagan
  7. Keller
  8. Leander
  9. Marcus
  10. Waxahachie
  11. Cedar Ridge
  12. Woodlands
  13. Round Rock
  14. Oak Ridge
  15. Coppell
  16. Prosper
  17. James Bowie
  18. Dawson
  19. North Shore Senior
  20. Seven Lakes
  21. Westlake
  22. John Horn
  23. Cy-Fair
  24. Pearland
  25. Hendrickson
  26. Woodlands
  27. Clements
  28. Brazoswood
  29. Duncanville
  30. Rockwall
  31. Austin

Directors have them, and if they shared it with their kids and band parents it usually spreads pretty easily. Nothing you can really do about that.

Not sure the kids have them yet for all the bands.  He was asking for the scoresheet to be sent to him privately then posted it publicly. 

Judging is always wonky, every band can point to a state or area competition where they were disappointed by a single judge.  

I’m sure everyone is a bit confused at some of placements under the finalists. In the end there’s nothing we can do is there? Oh well

Agreed, at the end of the day it is a subjective competition, and what one judge sees and prefers could differ from another judge. Obviously, very unfortunate for Round Rock, but hopefully the kids could appreciate the feeling they had for their performance instead of focusing on a bad result. I will admit back in high school it was harder to see the bigger picture, but now as an adult you really appreciate just performing with your friends and giving it all that you had to give fans a great show. 

I’m sure everyone is a bit confused at some of placements under the finalists. In the end there’s nothing we can do is there? Oh well

Really? Like who? None of the results surprise me personally.

Though I’m cringing at the thought that if there wasn’t one judge giving Round Rock a 34, TWHS wouldn’t have made finals and they’ve always been a “lock”.

RR got robbed, to say the least. It’s really hard to see a relatively consistent line and then one outlier like that. It’s crazy hard to judge an entire day of bands, but that just shows to me that there’s a bit of a fundamental difference in judging philosophy between judges.

Also, my reaction to the results between the finalists is to completely ignore them! Just like BOA, prelims never is an exact picture of finals. If you want a fun pass of time, go look at 6A state results from the past three cycles (I believe it was 5A in 2012). CTJ made a huge jump to 3rd from 7th in 2014. Hebron jumped both in 2012 and 2014. FloMo took 3rd in prelims in 2014 and then dropped to 9th in finals. These scores to me are very unreliable for the most part and ultimately I believe needs a change. I don’t know what that change should be (possibly adding another music and another visual judge and dropping the highest and lowest scores), but the fact that one judge can completely change the fate of a band is kind of unnerving to me.