2018 6A State

So basically only 2 other bands in the field of participants at state have a chance at finals. Sad for all the kids who work so hard for months.

Well, those ten bands work really hard too. It’s tough, but at the end of the season, you just have to be happy with your band’s show and the work you and your friends (or your child and their friends) put into it.

Well, those ten bands work really hard too. It’s tough, but at the end of the season, you just have to be happy with your band’s show and the work you and your friends (or your child and their friends) put into it.

Agreed but it's the same bands year after year.  Discouraging if you are not in one of those bands and you already know from the get go that you don't have a chance. And yes you then have to find some of happiness in the work you've done.

I would disagree that it's the same groups year after year; success isn't guaranteed to any band, even the top groups.

It's a combination of staff dedication, design team vision, parent support, and of course student work that ultimately makes a good show and season. Any band with these can find themselves at the top (unfortunately, many of these are correlated with funding, but that's another topic).

Case in point, if someone had told me in 2011-2014 that Vista Ridge is now contending for a top 5 spot at 6A state finals I wouldn't have believed them.

or even the thought of Hebron not even making finals for BOA SA in 2011 more less placing lower than 15th * i believe they ranked 19th *. I agree with this

I'd say that we see ten of tonight's bands plus Bowie and Waxahachie in state finals. Which ten? My gut says in no particular order:

Hebron

Flower Mound

Vista Ridge

Reagan

Vandy

CTJ

Leander

Keller

Woodlands

Hendriskon

Until they are not in it, you can't leave Marcus out of finals.

I'd say that we see ten of tonight's bands plus Bowie and Waxahachie in state finals. Which ten? My gut says in no particular order:

Hebron

Flower Mound

Vista Ridge

Reagan

Vandy

CTJ

Leander

Keller

Woodlands

Hendriskon

After seeing a recent video of Marcus I was taken aback how different this year’s show is from last year. Its very technically precise but it’s not as hard as the top contenders

Hebron, Flower Mound, Reagan, and Vista are my top medal contenders. But I don’t count out anyone- Leander is so so so fantastic and Vandegrift holy smokes. TWHS was probably one of my personal favorites last night, it sounded beautiful and was aesthetically beautiful. So many great bands and so much improvement from several groups. I think Westlake has a very good chance to be in finals- that show was exceptionally clean and well executed.

Hebron, Flower Mound, Reagan, and Vista are my top medal contenders. But I don’t count out anyone- Leander is so so so fantastic and Vandegrift holy smokes. TWHS was probably one of my personal favorites last night, it sounded beautiful and was aesthetically beautiful. So many great bands and so much improvement from several groups. I think Westlake has a very good chance to be in finals- that show was exceptionally clean and well executed.

i would say that the top 5 for state remain the same as this weekend - I think 1st is a battle between FloMo and Hebron - Reagan 3rd - Vista and CTJ after that

I stand by my statements.  I went back and looked at results from 2010 onward:

2010 finals:

1 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 2 Bell HS, Hurst 3 Duncanville HS, Duncanville 4 Bowie HS, Austin 5 Coppell HS, Coppell 6 Hebron HS, Carrollton 7 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 8 Berkner HS, Richardson 9 Spring HS, Spring 10 Westlake HS, Austin

2012 Finals:

1 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 2 Hebron HS, Carrollton 3 Bell HS, Hurst 4 Bowie HS, Austin 5 Coppell HS, Coppell 6 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 7 Westlake HS, Austin 8 Reagan HS, San Antonio 9 Berkner HS, Richardson 10 Johnson HS, San Antonio

2014 Finals:

1 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 2 Hebron HS, Carrollton 3 Johnson HS, San Antonio 4 Bowie HS, Austin 5 Reagan HS, San Antonio 6 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 7 Duncanville HS, Duncanville 8 Coppell HS, Coppell 9 Flower Mound HS, Flower Mound 10 Keller H S, Keller

2016 Finals:

1 Flower Mound HS, Flower Mound 2 Hebron HS, Carrollton 3 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 4 Vandegrift H S, Austin 5 Keller H S, Keller 6 Reagan HS, San Antonio 7 Leander H S, Leander 8 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 9 Bell HS, Hurst 10 North Shore H S, Houston 11 Coppell HS, Coppell 12 Round Rock H S, Round Rock

With the exception of 1-2 spots it is the same bands year after year.

While I do think that competitive inertia is a thing in judging - a truth that isn’t always convenient - the bands that keep making state finals over and over again deserve it. This isn’t to say that other programs aren’t deserving too, but there are legitimate reasons why about two-thirds of the programs repeat each SMBC or BOA San Antonio: staff consistency, design team consistency, and students who just know the game at this point and grow up in it. I get why that sucks and why it might even be “boring” to some. But I don’t know what the answer would be besides asking these bands to be less good or asking judges to underscore them?

Besides, to make this argument kind of dismisses the experience of bands that actually *do* break into this group, like Flower Mound breaking in to hunt for a medal in their first trip in 2014, Leander making their first top class state finals appearance in 16 years last cycle, North Shore beating the socioeconomic odds last cycle, and Vista Ridge and Waxahachie both likely to make the top class state finals this week - and on Hachie’s first year too!

I am going to completely ignore the BOA SA results when going into this coming Monday and Tuesday. If you look at the history of results, BOA almost never mirrors UIL. Yes, I’m recent history, 2012 and 2016 picked the same winners for both competitions. But the results outside of that were VASTLY different. There are bands that just have UIL figured out (pretty much all of the LISD bands) and bands that have BOA figured out, and to me I don’t think we will see much deviance from most state years. I think the top two will be FloMo and Hebron, I think Reagan, Candegrift, CTJ and Marcus will be fighting it out for third, and who knows that the rest of finals will look like. There are so many bands that honestly could sneak into that top half like Keller but I honestly have no idea what I believe after that.

Here are my top 12 in no order

Hebron

Flomo

Raegan

Ctj

Vista

Vandegrift

Woodlands

Westlake

Leander

Cedar ridge

Keller

Hendrickson

I think top 4 could be vista, Hebron, raegan, and flomo. All of these bands have such good musicianship and their marching is really spectacular

Middle 4 could be vandy, Keller, ctj, and woodlands. These bands are so good visually and I’m excited to see what they bring to the table. Keller especially I thought was really surprisingly better than expected at SA.

I think the bottom 4 could be Westlake, Leander, cedar ridge, and Hendrickson. Westlake was honestly one of the most surprising shows this year for me. They provide such clean music and marvelous visuals that provide a sense of communicaton between the audience. Definitely the dark horse of 2018 and I’m excited to see all of these great bands at state come Monday and Tuesday.