2018 6A State

Hmmm... I've never really thought about injuries causing problems in marching band before, but I dont see why the performers wouldnt be affected just like any other athletes that can get injured. I guess this is one of those things you just don't think about of you aren't in band yourself and don't have a kid in band that you are worried about.

Yeah, every year the visual side of top programs gets harder and harder. Especially with the amount of rehearsal all the kids put in, it can cause a lot of stress injuries. It's become a lot bigger problem in DCI especially, and most programs have dedicated trainers to helping out. Coppell especially has a TOUGH visual program with all the ramps and slides and what not and it does not surprise me that they're having injuries. My heart goes out to those kids and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery!

On that note - if you're a student from any program, TAKE CARE of yourself this week! Extra stretching, rest, whatever it takes - I'm sure your band director has already addressed it, but seriously. It happens every year, a kid gets injured the week before state, and it's awful. Take. Care. Of. Your. Body!

Yeah, every year the visual side of top programs gets harder and harder. Especially with the amount of rehearsal all the kids put in, it can cause a lot of stress injuries. It's become a lot bigger problem in DCI especially, and most programs have dedicated trainers to helping out. Coppell especially has a TOUGH visual program with all the ramps and slides and what not and it does not surprise me that they're having injuries. My heart goes out to those kids and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery!

On that note - if you're a student from any program, TAKE CARE of yourself this week! Extra stretching, rest, whatever it takes - I'm sure your band director has already addressed it, but seriously. It happens every year, a kid gets injured the week before state, and it's awful. Take. Care. Of. Your. Body!

concussions of guard members is an issue with programs that are pushing the envelope 

Color Guard members regularly get the snot beat out of them. Flags are painful enough but when you add rifles and sabers it gets positively dangerous. When my daughter saw this she just shrugged and said, "Yeah, that's what we do. Just keep going." She has had several emergency room visits for broken bones, etc but has never missed a performance. Our Director thinks she brings good luck because they always do well when she breaks something.

https://www.flomarching.com/video/5970977

Color Guard members regularly get the snot beat out of them. Flags are painful enough but when you add rifles and sabers it gets positively dangerous. When my daughter saw this she just shrugged and said, "Yeah, that's what we do. Just keep going." She has had several emergency room visits for broken bones, etc but has never missed a performance. Our Director thinks she brings good luck because they always do well when she breaks something.

my daughter made jokes about it - "I can still spin - I can still win" - go guard!!!

Hmmm... I've never really thought about injuries causing problems in marching band before, but I dont see why the performers wouldnt be affected just like any other athletes that can get injured. I guess this is one of those things you just don't think about of you aren't in band yourself and don't have a kid in band that you are worried about.

When we went to GN in 2016, we had one of our Senior trumpets break a hip a few weeks before, among other things, so a freshman had to learn his drill in an insanely short amount of time. A flute sprained her ankle during prelims. A colorguard girl also was injured during prelims. We limped through that weekend, with two in wheelchairs, but Leander still managed to take 6th at GN. It gets crazy towards the end for sure!

Clear winner? With ordinals 2,3,3,3,1?

Lol yes, I saw all of area E finals and in my opinion of the performances WITHOUT seeing a single score, Pearland was the strongest band in finals.

Clear winner? With ordinals 2,3,3,3,1?

And when it comes to consistent runs Pearland showed they can do it. Clements has a 3 5 1 and 9 for marching in prelims and finals. I see the 1 as a blessing and the 9 as questionable. Did something go wrong in their first performance for there to be such a drastic change? And I’m in no way bringing down their program. They have accomplished great things and look amazing and will continue to improve greatly this week. As well as the other Area E finalist

Of course, preach it. This is something I feel doesn't get brought up enough here. Just asked what the toll was for coppell- they have one performer out of the show completely, a bass drum with a concussion from a car accident, two guard members with serious ankle/leg injuries, a couple kids with herniated discs, and more. Yikes

Of course, preach it. This is something I feel doesn't get brought up enough here. Just asked what the toll was for coppell- they have one performer out of the show completely, a bass drum with a concussion from a car accident, two guard members with serious ankle/leg injuries, a couple kids with herniated discs, and more. Yikes

I hope this doesn’t impact anything next week

My daughter got a concussion from a flag toss and stitches another time from a rifle.  Soon they will need to wear bike helmets on the field....

Where do y'all think Clements and Austin will place this year?

Clements will likely place in the teens. Austin is very hard to place as the past few years their placements at contests within one season are very contradictory

I can personally attest to do this. I marched on a sprained ACL and it wasn't fun. Take care of yourselves, your body will thank you later.