Grand Nationals 2018???

WOW!!!  Dobyns-Bennett, please come to TEXAS!!!!!  

While they are a great Band, the Best Band in TN is Munford, who are going to Pasadena for the Rose Parade. Munford finished 2nd at the Band Masters championship at Memphis University, a BOA quality type contest,  earlier this fall and won contests in MS and Nashville. They to my knowledge do not do BOA but are recognized as the Best Band in TN

While they are a great Band, the Best Band in TN is Munford, who are going to Pasadena for the Rose Parade. Munford finished 2nd at the Band Masters championship at Memphis University, a BOA quality type contest, earlier this fall and won contests in MS and Nashville. They to my knowledge do not do BOA but are recognized as the Best Band in TN

I’m originally from Memphis actually and am very familiar with Munford, TN. I went to Harding Academy and was in the band there and we went to a lot of marching contests in West Tennessee. I’m not sure Munford was anything special back then, but there were definitely some great bands in West Tennessee. I will start paying more attention to what’s going on there! I get back home 2 or 3 times per year.

But to my original post, Dobyns-Bennett was amazing today and I dare anyone to deny it. ;)

Just looked at Munford’s show and their design is very, very, VERY dated. I might give them the best playing band in TN, but Franklin and DB are light years ahead on visual performance and overall design.

I would agree with you, however folks in TN were quick to bring up that DB did not even compete in TN at all this fall. Besides GN, they entered the BOA contest in SC where they finished second. They also competed at the Western Carolina University Contest in NC.  They did no other contests.

Munford won the Contest at Briarcrest Christian in TN, they also won the Southern Star Invitational Contest in MS beating the Top Bands in MS and AR. They finished second at the Music City Invitational in Nashville, while winning Class AAAA, and Highest Music Score.  They also had a 1st Division Rating at the Western Tennessee Band and Orchestra Association Marching Contest.  There is no Eastern Tennessee Band and Orchestra Association to compare the results against and TN Does not have a State Marching Contest. Since the schools are almost 500 miles apart geographically, it is a wonder that anyone claim anything. Munford has won the Bandmasters Championship 19 years and finished 2nd out of 28 Bands this fall at the University of Memphis sponsored contest. Folks in the states of TN, MS, AR and MO consider this the top Marching Contest for their Bands. 

These Bands will not compete against each other.  Munford has gone to US Bands National Championships and won in 2013. They finished second in 2011. Their record does not show any BOA appearances.  I agree that their show is dated by BOA Standards, however musically they can more than hold their own with their sound.  Since DB does not compete in TN, I guess that is why we prefer to have a State Championship.

Since the schools are almost 500 miles apart geographically, it is a wonder that anyone claim anything.

And yet you came out of the blue to make such a claim on a completely irrelevant thread? I'm not sure what your point is in informing everyone that by your standard there is another band in Tennessee that is better than DB- especially given what you said that they dont compete against each other. This has nothing to do with the fact that DB just gave an amazing performance today and will likely be finding themselves in or near the top half of finals this weekend again.

Did anyone see Greendale High Schools (Wisconsin)  band last night?   I think it was called Dancing in the Dark and had these black caves on field?   

I think they are in AA category.   Just wondering what you thought (I didn't see it).   I know one of the show designers for that band. 

Having seen BA, Carmel and Tarpon all next to each other I’m still going to put BA on top. That show just gives you all the feels that America is. Tarpons screens going out WILL hurt their scores, that’s just what happens when an integral part of effect doesn’t work. Tarpon has a good show, don’t get me wrong but I don’t think a win is in the cards for them tonight.