Grand Nationals 2018???

First hand knowledge it was really difficult. It’s harder if you get the early time slots. It would be impossible this year with state ending Tuesday night and travel home just to leave on Wednesday for GN. That’s missing class 5-6 Days - there is no time to do homework when you’re gone.

I had to go all the way back to 2000 to find the last time a TX band wasn't in finals. From what I can tell, there weren't any in semis either, so perhaps no Texas bands attended in 2000.

http://www.musicforall.org/resources/fall-results/2000

Prelims results said what state they were from, didn't see a single "TX" on there, so I guess no bands made the trip that year.

Yup, no one in 2000. From '85-2001 we never saw more than 2 TX bands attend in a given year, and there were several years when no one went. 2002 was the breakout year when SIX bands went which began a trend that has continued to this day.

In '99, only Leander and Churchill went.  In '98 only The Woodlands and Churchill.

'97 - Richland (14th in semis)
'96 - No one
'95 - Westfield (1st in prelims, 2nd in finals)
'94 - Klein (7th in finals)
'93 - Duncanville (9th) and of course, Spring.
'92 - No one
'91 - Duncanville (6th), Spring (8th)
'90 - Westfield (2nd in finals)
'89 - No one
'88 - No one
'87 - No one
'86 - No one
'85 - Westfield

Yup, no one in 2000. From '85-2001 we never saw more than 2 TX bands attend in a given year, and there were several years when no one went. 2002 was the breakout year when SIX bands went which began a trend that has continued to this day.

The big reason why you saw six Texas programs at Nationals in 2002 was because Grand Nationals was held a week after UIL State Contest instead of the same week like it is today. This eliminated the stress of rushing to pack everything and travel up north.  

The big reason why you saw six Texas programs at Nationals in 2002 was because Grand Nationals was held a week after UIL State Contest instead of the same week like it is today. This eliminated the stress of rushing to pack everything and travel up north.  

I wish either UIL or Music For All would maybe change their dates, but neither of those organizations probably can or want to host any later than what they do now, but then again in the early days of the UIL state marching contest, it was once on December 1st (I can't remember which year that was, but I remember reading it in the Leaguer)

I wish either UIL or Music For All would maybe change their dates, but neither of those organizations probably can or want to host any later than what they do now, but then again in the early days of the UIL state marching contest, it was once on December 1st (I can't remember which year that was, but I remember reading it in the Leaguer)

I think State is definitely the most fluid date. The farthest anyone would have to travel is 12 hours by car at the most. Nats is a whole other story when it comes to the distances that need to be traveled.

I think State is definitely the most fluid date. The farthest anyone would have to travel is 12 hours by car at the most. Nats is a whole other story when it comes to the distances that need to be traveled.

Actually UIL is going to be harder to change dates. UIL is a SCHOOL event and needs the approval of the school systems. The problem with the 12 hours is that in most case now, Bands miss three days of school. BOA is a non school sponsored event, and if even 10 TX 

Bands went to it, it would be small potatoes in the number of Bands affected.

Really, REALLY early to do predictions, and extremely pointless, but hey, why not.

(Ranges)

1. Broken Arrow (1-4)

2. Avon (1-4)

3. Carmel (1-4)

4. Tarpon Springs (2-4)

5. Wando (5-7)

6. Dobyns-Bennett (5-8)

7. William Mason (5-13)

8. Blue Springs (7-10)

9. Castle (6-9)

10. Homestead (9-Out)

11. Marian Catholic (8-12)

12. Vista Murrieta (12-Out)

Music: No clue

Visual: Broken Arrow

General Effect: No clue

Bands in no particular order that could sneak into finals

O'Fallon Township

North Hardin

Lawrence Township

Center Grove

Centerville

Kennesaw Mountain

American Fork

Leander was still 5A in 2016. Reagan was the only 6A that competed in State, SA Super Regional and Grand Nationals from TX. At least the only to make finals in all three.

CTJ competed in 2016 at GN but only did prelims for state and withdrew to allow for travel to GN - Reagan competed in State and travel from UIL state to GN

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

HOLY TARPON SPRINGS! Uuuuhhhhh, I think we have found our 2018 Grand National Champion. 1) Where in the world did that hornlime come from, especially after last year??? 2) How in the world could they afford those tv screen thingies? Sorry Carmel, Avon, and BA, y’all are going to have to bow down to Tarpon this year. There is no way that’s loosing.

HOLY TARPON SPRINGS! Uuuuhhhhh, I think we have found our 2018 Grand National Champion. 1) Where in the world did that hornlime come from, especially after last year??? 2) How in the world could they afford those tv screen thingies? Sorry Carmel, Avon, and BA, y’all are going to have to bow down to Tarpon this year. There is no way that’s loosing.

I saw and I was shook so good omg

Eh, it's a lot better than last year but it's nothing those 3 can't beat. I expect to see those screens in Tarpons shows for the next couple of years haha.